Gransnet forums

Health

Depression

(444 Posts)
pompa Wed 29-Oct-14 19:26:45

Feels like I'm sinking into a spell of depression. Struggling to find enthusiasm for anything atm. Ready for bed already.
Combination of feeling less than fit, dark nights and crap weather.

NfkDumpling Wed 10-Dec-14 18:33:52

It will return Mishap. You've been through a hell of a lot and it will take t i m e. You've all winter to rest up and take it easy. Think of how life was before electricity. It's what winter is for - to slow down, rest, recuperate and sit by the fire and tell tales. You know the urinary tract infection is because you're run down but your heart is stabilising and you are improving. You know this!!

Mishap Thu 11-Dec-14 09:56:55

OK - here is this morning:

- unremitting nausea, as a result of my IBS - I can barely get about as I feel so sick
- pain in hip and groin and down shin
- pain in knee
- pain on urinating and in bladder the whole time (antibiotic being collected today)
- bowel gripes and other problems which I will not expand on
- pain in broken foot
- acutely painful piles
- ticker a bit wobbly this morning - had a run of SVT which thankfully stopped fairly quickly
- all the rubbish that goes with being depressed
- OH is out all morning at hospital
- gas man is coming to service gas fire - I have no idea how I will deal with him; I can barely deal with myself

Is it any wonder I feel depressed? It takes every ounce of effort just to keep going. I really just want to be asleep which is the only time I get any respite from all this c**p.

I am trying so very hard to stay positive and not to grumble, but I am only human and enough is truly enough some days. I could do with a little light at the end of my tunnel.

I have got up and showered and washed my hair in spite of all this, but I do not have the words to say what an effort this all is. I just have to try and keep up some sort of normal activity.

A short while without pain would do the trick for me I think.

Sorry chaps - what an old misery I am.

Anyone got a cheering joke to contribute?

Tegan Thu 11-Dec-14 10:16:08

Would it help if I said I can empathise with the piles blushblushblush....? flowers....

Oldgreymare Thu 11-Dec-14 10:29:16

Mishap sending you warm sunshine and a comfy, well padded recliner to sink into ALL this on a beach with silver sand and the gentle sound of waves gently breaking on the shore.

KatyK Thu 11-Dec-14 10:51:33

Mishap flowers

Lona Thu 11-Dec-14 17:10:48

Mishap I wish we could come round and bring some TLC, (((hugs)))
Here's hoping tomorrow will bring some respite for you flowers

MiniMouse Thu 11-Dec-14 17:48:11

Mishap It's not you who's an old misery, it's all that you're going through that's the misery. Not surprising you're feeling down.

Keep thinking of the light at the end of the tunnel, even when it's only the size of a pinprick. Some days the pinprick will get bigger, some days it won't, but it's still letting a little sunlight in to keep you going. It's how I used to get myself through the ME bedridden days.

Kiora Thu 11-Dec-14 18:21:28

Mishap you'll have to look a the 'christmas cracker' thread for a joke. But the good news is it's not too long before the shortest day then slowly, at first the days will get longer and then spring. Then these horrible days will be behind you. A lot of us could write a list like yours but these things always feel much worse when your recovering from major surgery or illness or indeed bereavement. So your not a moaner. Hold on tight, this too will pass. flowers. sunshine

NfkDumpling Thu 11-Dec-14 21:36:08

That op really did knock you for six didn't it. Some of your problems are probably caused by the shock to your body of a major operation. Perhaps the depression is your bodies way of getting you to stop and rest up? It takes someone of your determination to drag herself up and out of bed and shower and carry on the way you have when all of your being wants to curl up in a corner. Perhaps a compromise? Do your exercises more gently? Rest and be kind to yourself. Can you treat yourself to a holistic massage to relax your muscles? I have heard massage can help some IBS. (Not much good for piles though! Is it the time of year - I'm having problems in that area too!)

NfkDumpling Thu 11-Dec-14 21:42:44

What painkillers are you on? I've had big problems with Ibuprofen. Nausea unremitting. Paracetamol makes me wobbly. Now on codydromol, but that's a problem too if I need to take the full dose. I've been told codeine is the best if you have stomach problems but getting a prescription for it can be difficult.

Crafting Thu 11-Dec-14 22:09:59

Mishap I do hope things improve for you soon. One day as you describe is bad enough but when it continues sad As others have said it will get better but until then (((huggs)) (gentle ones) 2 soft cushions, one to rest your foot on and the other (for down belowtchblush) some sunshine to brighten the day and some flowers to cheer you up.

Mishap Fri 12-Dec-14 09:46:08

The anti-depressant is making me so very very nauseous - it really is a problem and makes it hard to do anything. Does anyone else have experience of this? - notably of the nausea wearing off. There is only a limited time that I feel I can tolerate this. Any thoughts as to what I might do to alleviate the nausea a bit? - none of the normal anti-nausea drugs are compatible with my heart arrhythmia - my GP looked them all up yesterday. I am sucking peppermints and using mellisa drops - any other ideas gratefully received.

Soutra Fri 12-Dec-14 09:54:22

Oh I wish I had helpful suggestions , your "cri de coeur" really got to me and I just wish I could help. You have been/are going through so much at the moment and while I am sure "all things pass" it must be so very very hard. I do admire your courage and just send what encouragement I can- wishing you well.xxx

Elegran Fri 12-Dec-14 10:29:18

When I was pregnant I used to feel carsick. I could keep the nausea at bay by holding a nice fresh apple under my nose and breathing in the smell. It is worth trying (and cheap and without side effects) The apple is then in your hand ready to eat, should you feel like it, too.

merlotgran Fri 12-Dec-14 10:35:00

If I remember rightly, isn't ginger supposed to ease morning sickness so might help with the nausea, Mishap

Such a shame you are feeling so rotten and not making the progress you were hoping for. You must also be fed up with people saying things like, 'Give it time and be patient' but I think that's all people can say really.

If only there was more we could do to help other than trying to send positive vibes across cyberland.

Hope you have a better day today.

loopylou Fri 12-Dec-14 11:13:16

Am sorry you're going through so much Mishap, do hope things improve very soon. Re: nausea and antidepressant I found taking it at night (was on once a day) stopped the nausea, taken just before went to bed. If took it in the morning I felt sick all day tchsad
Big bunch of flowers to you

Agus Fri 12-Dec-14 11:27:02

Mishap, my remedy for nausea has always been flat Irn Bru or Coke. I don't drink either of these normally but keep a some at home for such emergencies, the ginger content settles the stomach.

This may give you a chuckle. Yesterday, I mistakenly took a double dose of cocodamol, something I have never done, the result, Granny was too stoned to do the school run! blush

Hope you are feeling a bit stronger today.

annodomini Fri 12-Dec-14 12:11:04

Crystallised ginger is one of my remedies for nausea. Otherwise, I can't say anything very helpful but send you all my sympathy, mishap. You don't deserve all this pain and anguish. flowers