Gransnet forums

Health

Asthma in 2 year old

(10 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 23-Jun-15 00:01:46

My grandson (aged 2) has had recurrent bouts of bronchiolitis and chicken pox in recent weeks, meaning that my daughter and son in law have both had to take extensive time off work to look after him. He's only been back at pre-school for a couple of days and is now suffering from acute asthma, so my daughter's brought him here for me to look after as her husband is working away from home and she really can't take any more time off. Grandson has preventer and reliever inhalers, plus he's now been prescribed prednisolone and montelukast, and he also has an epipen in case of anaphylaxis as he suffers from severe allergies.
None of my children have had asthma that's this bad and I wonder if any grans out there have experiences to share. I do worry about the amount of drugs my grandson has had in his two short years, including lots of antibiotics for pneumonia, which he's had several times. I also worry about what to do if he has an acute attack. He really seems to me to be struggling for breath - even now that he's sleeping, but the doctor (who saw him late this evening) says he doesn't need to be admitted to hospital. I'm off to bed now (sharing a room with the little one 'just in case'), but will be interested to hear your views tomorrow.

thatbags Tue 23-Jun-15 05:58:02

I don't have any ideas, ga, but my heart goes out to the poor mite, and to you as it must be worrying.

Anya Tue 23-Jun-15 06:05:26

I hope your little GS managed to get some restful sleep, and you too. He's been through a very bad patch from the sound of it and unless he's quite a bit improved today your daughter might be wise to ask to see a pediatrician, as I'm assuming the doctor you referred to is simply a GP.

vampirequeen Tue 23-Jun-15 07:24:38

Asthma in very young children can be scary as it can sound so horrible and it's awful to see them struggling to breathe. If you're still unhappy today go back to the GP. If he gets worse go straight to a and e as he may need a nebuliser. I guess he takes his inhalers through a spacer..if not he needs one.

I know it won't be much consolation now but our son was like your grandson when he was two. Constant infections and in and out of hospital. He's now 7. Last year his daily ventolin was reduced to as and when and this year he no longer needs to use a steroid inhaler. So in just a few years he's changed from a child who needed two inhalers, montolukast, copious amounts of antibiotics and virtually had his own bed at the hospital to a child who barely needs any medications.

whenim64 Tue 23-Jun-15 07:38:49

I hope he's looking better this mirning, ga. If I was looking after him, I'd use my own judgement as well as the doctor's. Struggling for breath in a two year old can change in either direction quickly and you wouldn't be criticised for summoning an emergency paramedic to look him over, if you were worried. One of my little grandsons had similar recurring infections and treatment for what looked like asthma that was getting worse. Now 6, since he started swimming and becoming generally more athletic, he's kept it at bay and just uses his inhalers when he has a mild flare up every few months.

J52 Tue 23-Jun-15 07:52:40

DS1 suffered from acute Asthma from 18mnths. It improved when we moved out of London, when he was 7, and over the years decreased.

He was frequently hospitalised and we eventually had our own nebuliser. Not to replace hospitalisation, but to catch it early before intercostal spasms set in. I'm sure medication has moved on by now.

It is very scarey for all involved. We found that infections set it off, the Asthma attack appeared before the sore throat/ ear was apparent. Do you know what sets off your GSs?

Hopefully he will grow out of it, as our 6 ft diving, climbing, wild camping son did. Best wishes to you all for a positive outcome.

x

grannyactivist Tue 23-Jun-15 10:00:48

Well we got through the night; little one slept in a cot in my room - he slept quite well, but I'm frazzled from constantly being aware of his breathing. This morning the muscles in grandson's chest don't seem to be working quite as hard, so hopefully this means the prednisolone and montelukast are working. His older brother also has asthma and has had pneumonia several times, but hasn't had the acute asthma attacks that the little one gets and which I find particularly worrying. when, I did say to my daughter last night that I would call an ambulance if I thought the attack was worsening. It's encouraging to hear about children who grow out of it, but as the little one also has severe allergies and eczema I think he may continue to have difficulties.

Lona Tue 23-Jun-15 10:11:02

Poor little soul, it's horrible to have to gasp for breath all the time. My asthma is mild, but at this time of year the pollen always makes it worse. I do hope the drugs make him feel better quickly. flowers

annodomini Tue 23-Jun-15 10:43:07

One of my GSs has been asthmatic but his attacks are now (almost 11 years old) fewer and further between and there are hopes that he will 'grow out of it'. I hope as your wee lad gets bigger and stronger, he will at least be more able to cope with attacks. It's hard for you GA when you have been through so much in the past few months.

J52 Tue 23-Jun-15 11:08:31

GA, I am sorry that this is taking such a toll on you. When DS was really poorly, DH and I took turns to watch each night for a month. ( Also going to work) So I have some idea of what you are going through.flowers

Our DS did have allergies which also diminished with age, except an unknown allergy to something in food. This has never been identified and rarely manifests itself. He never travels abroad without antihistamine.

His brother only got the eczema, which he seems to unfortunately passed on to DGD.

Hope it all gets a bit better soon.
x