Gransnet forums

Health

The Awful Warning

(54 Posts)
Teetime Tue 07-Jul-15 10:04:37

DH invited his brother and wife to Sunday lunch this week. We hadn't seen them for a year when they came to Sunday lunch before (they don't do invites back). BIL& SIL are only a couple of years older than us respectively but we were shocked at how much weight they had gained and how much older they looked and sounded. They sat on the sofa and never moved except to the dining table (and the loo) for 6 hours despite it being quite nice in the garden and talked incessantly about food and wine and trips to supermarkets hither and yon. They take no exercise of any kind save a short walk for the daily paper (Express!!). I shot out yesterday bought some new trainers and am off to the gym to sign up. I've decided golf and walking aren't enough. They are now known as The Awful Warning.

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 10:08:44

grin

Liz46 Tue 07-Jul-15 10:51:46

I tried some trousers on yesterday and gave myself The Awful Warning. I hate well lit, efficient changing room mirrors. No wine last night and plenty of housework this morning!

Alea Tue 07-Jul-15 11:19:41

Oh dear, I can remember my parents, once they were retired, would chat with their friends about the relative merits of various restaurants, pubs or towns etc and the lunches /afternoon teas/and dinners they had enjoyed!
I used to scoff, but as I get on, I too talk about restaurants/shops/lunches etc.
Eating out is one of the relatively few pleasures (!) left to us. I had not thought of myself as an awful warning

Lona Tue 07-Jul-15 11:21:48

I'm an awful warning to myself every time I take my clothes off! grin

Tegan Tue 07-Jul-15 12:10:17

What sort of gym are you going to, Teetime? I go to our local council run one which costs £19 a month; the private one I used to go to was far more expensive and nowhere near as good. It's nice to go somewhere where there are people of all ages; my £19 includes use of the swimming pool and sauna as well as a lot of exercise classes. I think I bore my daughter by talking about things I've seen on tv, as young people seem to mainly watch box sets or films these days.

Tegan Tue 07-Jul-15 12:12:40

.....I feel the title of this thread should be the name of a Pre Raphaelite painting [perhaps some of our artistic members could oblige #soopwhereareu?]

crun Tue 07-Jul-15 12:42:22

Why a gym? There's a whole world out there, where you can exercise for free.

janerowena Tue 07-Jul-15 12:44:17

My 'Awful Warning' came in the form of an artist father of a friend. He was looking at us as we lazed on sunloungers in bikinis, as our babies dozed in the shade, and said he would love to paint me as I was a combination of paintings by Titian and Rubens. Back then I couldn't think what sort of paintings Rubens did - but when my friend opened one eye to say 'he means you are fat!' I certainly have never forgotten since!

Tegan Tue 07-Jul-15 12:49:21

Not when it's p***ing down crun....#liketoday!

chloe1984 Tue 07-Jul-15 12:57:24

My awful warning came several years ago when we had a touring caravan , we were sat outside in the sunshine after a very calorific lunch. My husband was asleep and I was just dozing on and off. A young couple were walking by enjoying the day, the man turned to his girlfriend and thinking I was asleep as well said ' I see it's time for the pigs to process their lunch then' I have never forgotten how humiliated I felt but having said that if I were to meet him again I would have to thank him as we are now fitter,lighter and more active Never did mention it to my DH.blush

NanaDenise Tue 07-Jul-15 15:19:05

Awful warning happens every time I go into a clothes shop changing room. Surrounded by mirrors that accentuate every thread vein, wibbly wobbly bits and move me up two dress sizes, I wonder why they aren't using rose tinted lights.

Now, perhaps I need to find a gym that deals with back, hip, knee, shoulder etc that don't move too well to tone those wobbly bits.

I walk, garden, house work (sometimes) so why don't I have the body I used to? hmm

Teetime Tue 07-Jul-15 15:45:10

I'm going to a gym to get some supervised exercise so I don't damage my poor back even more, to be in the warm and dry as I spent oodles of time outside on the golf course and on country walks and I want to exercise consistently through the winter which is my danger zone for eating and lazing about generally and in the hope I might meet some new friends who don't play golf. The sports centre is a council/private partnership and for £26 a month includes the gym and all the classes and swimming so I think that's a good deal. Its five minutes walk from my house. I haven't quite signed up yet but I will. I agree Tegan a good pre Raphaelite concept - love the PRs!! smile

Tegan Tue 07-Jul-15 19:38:13

Most gyms will give you a free taster session; mine will give a one week free pass. What I like is the way that you can gradually increase the weights and build up your strength slowly. I tend to either go all the time or not at all; haven't been able to go recently because of the poorly dog etc, and I've found myself getting out of breath when I walk up the stairs. One week on from going each day and I'm feeling loads better and the breathlesness has gone. In fact, I'm off now. It only takes 10 minutes to get there and the routine I have takes 45 minutes. It does, however, often take me several hours to actually go #justcheckgransetohthinki'llhavecuppateatennisison....

merlotgran Tue 07-Jul-15 19:43:55

My awful warning came when my much loved black swimming costume which always made me look quite toned and fit finally rotted and fell to bits.

It fitted really well so I sent for another one in the same size.

I could barely get it over my knees shock

How was I to know it had stretched three sizes in the intervening years?

sad hmm

Teetime Tue 07-Jul-15 19:58:11

oops have just signed up for something called Zumba gold - tried Zumba a few years ago - nearly killed me.

Lys60 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:15:17

Joining a slimming club was the way to go for me. New friends, support and plenty of bonhomie and laughter. I recommend it.

Deedaa Tue 07-Jul-15 21:27:41

My awful warning was MiL. After a hysterectomy in her 40's she informed us that thank goodness she could wave goodbye to all that sex stuff and stop worrying about what she wore. From then on it was 3 blue crimplene dresses rotated through the week for years! No make up, hair grown long and worn in a bun so no hairdresser. Never cleaned ger teeth or went to the dentist so ended up with a mouth full of stumps, wouldn't have knee replacements until it was way too late and she couldn't walk at all, and lived on a diet of butter, full cream milk, and cream cakes while complaining about her weight.

NanKate Tue 07-Jul-15 21:47:44

Am I going doolally or what but I remember this thread from months ago, is it being repeated ?

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 22:14:03

Really, NanKate? now I am worried, because I do not remember it!Oh dear.

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 22:14:54

No, it's def you going doolally.grin

rosesarered Tue 07-Jul-15 22:17:14

Merlotgran,deedaa,Teetime, so funny.

merlotgran Tue 07-Jul-15 22:17:51

Was your MIL Les Dawson, Deeda?

NanKate Wed 08-Jul-15 07:36:14

I will give it a few more days to see if anyone else remembers the thread and if no on does I am ready for the men with the white coats. shock

lucyinthesky Wed 08-Jul-15 11:24:08

My awful warning was three months ago when after some blood tests my GP told me I was prebdiabetic! I had no idea there was such a thing.

My BP is also higher than it should be so I have been trying hard to lose weight, mainly by diet and walking. When I went back for a checkup last week and told another GP I'd only lost 2.5 KG in 2 months (and 2 kg was lost due to a chest infection!) she said the only way was to eat even less!

I've given up all my favourite foods: deserts, cakes, pasta, potatoes and bread. I don't snack between meals and drink water with a small glass of wine once or twice a week. It's all very disheartening!