Gransnet forums

Health

knee replacement

(29 Posts)
suey Fri 31-Jul-15 22:13:43

How long did others who have had a knee replacement take to recover fully please? I had the operation in July 2014 but my knee still huts when I get up or go upstairs.
My other knee also needs replacing. Should I wait to see if my first knee improves before having a new one ? I'm not sure about using a crutch with a painful knee.

Charleygirl Wed 07-Oct-15 17:50:40

I could not agree more Luckygirl. I am dreading having my other knee replaced because post op all that was on offer was morphine and I have a nasty reaction to it. I eventually saw the Pain Control nurse and all she could do was to shrug her shoulders. I was taking Tramadol, they are morphine based but I had to have something. I am going to have a tattoo on my forehead- allergic to morphine.

You were treated appallingly and one never forgets.

Claudiaclaws Wed 07-Oct-15 18:12:50

Suey, If your second knee is causing you a lot of pain you are probably putting a lot of strain on the knee that has had the replacement.
I would say that you need to have the second knee replaced.
You also mention using a crutch, I came out of hospital with two sticks, and after a week was using one, I'm sorry I can't remember how long I used the one for, but I do know one shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to dispense with it. The knee does need time to recover.
I can't emphasise enough how important it is to do the exercises
regularly. They are painful but if not done you won't get the full benefit of the operation. I hope this helps.

ginny Wed 07-Oct-15 22:52:16

I can't remember having oral morphine after the first day post op'.

I was given co -codamol for a while and gradually tailed that off. I used crutches for about 2 weeks , then 2 sticks ,and then 1 and stopped using any other support after about 5 or 6 weeks. I have had replacements on both sides.

Suey did you have a check up after a year and did you tell them that you were still having problems ?

Everyone recovers at a different rate but as others have said doing the exercises (yes, they are painful at first ) can make a huge difference. eleven months and 16 months after my op's , I still do them all every day.

My GP was at first reluctant to refer me to the hospital but I insisted something needed to be done and x-rays revealed that the joints were bone on bone.