Gransnet forums

Health

High chlorestol

(31 Posts)
Newquay Tue 26-Jul-16 17:10:50

Just had my annual blood test-as I have an under active thyroid. I always ask Doc to treat it as my MOT and include everything reasonable.
All OK except. . . . High choresterol, the highest it's ever been 7.6!
I was on statins but had awful shoulder pain so at last year's appt doc suggested I stop them and then pain went.
On telling that to doc today (on a telephone appointment-how cool is that!) she said she could prescribe a different one at a lower dose to try it and then repeat blood test (non fasting these days) in three months time.
I honestly don't eat a lot of cheese, chocolate, cream and limit cakes and biscuits so hope tablets help.
Anyone else had this problem?

Luckygirl Tue 26-Jul-16 17:54:53

Mine is 5.8, and my H (a doc) was astonished as, judging by my diet, it should have been about 2!! - I eat no milk or cheese (migraines), eat masses of fruit and veg and fish is my staple. I do have yoghurt to try and keep my calcium intake up.

I am not on a statin - they thought the ratio of good to bad cholesterol was good.

If mine was 7.6, I would seriously consider starting a statin at a low dose, as advised by your GP. I guess they are over-prescribed a bit, but at that level, it is not an inappropriate treatment I am sure.

granjura Tue 26-Jul-16 18:40:09

I'm afraid cholesterol, just as high blood pressure- are more related to your genes than to your life-style, or at least as much. And yes, it is not fair at all. What is your BP like?

If it was me, I would go on the new statin without hesitation, and see how it goes.

Deedaa Tue 26-Jul-16 20:58:05

Life is very unfair. DH has always eaten the most appalling diet and his cholesterol levels are always incredibly low. I've always eaten more healthily but I've been on statins for years.

Lona Tue 26-Jul-16 21:36:09

I had mine tested a few years ago and it was 8. My doctor said she wasn't concerned because my blood pressure has always been very good.
I would never take statins anyway.

Newquay Tue 26-Jul-16 22:59:54

Yes it's not fair at all-for years DH ate a cooked breakfast including bread fried in lard and his chloresterol has always been lower than mine.
My blood pressure is usually on the low side but, funnily enough, at this last annual check it was a little high.
I understand it could be linked to my under active thyroid.
One of our SILs is a doc and a while ago he told DH and I and his parents to take a statin. He said-your choice, protection from strokes, heart attacks.
Anyway, will take this different statin at a lower dose and have level retested in 3 months time. AND will be more careful with my diet-honest!

Waveney Wed 27-Jul-16 09:51:17

I would agree with granjura, your cholesterol levels could well be more related to your genes than your lifestyle. My levels were too high, so I started exercising more ( encouraged (nagged) by DD)and lost two stone in weight, went back to the doctor and discovered that my cholesterol level had risen! I have been on statins for two years, luckily without side effects, as well as the blood pressure tablets I have taken for over ten years. I would recommend at least trying the statin.

KatyK Wed 27-Jul-16 10:10:36

Last year mine was 7. I eat very healthily but am less active since I retired. GP told me to try to get it down myself and I have been trying to exercise more and drinking a Benecol drink every day. It has come down to 6.6, which isn't brilliant but GP has said to keep doing what I'm doing and come back in 6 months. When I was working it was always around 4.

KatyK Wed 27-Jul-16 10:12:54

Oh and I now eat porridge every day which I believe has also helped.

Devorgilla Wed 27-Jul-16 14:28:20

I had mine checked recently because I was worried about my thyroid. My cholesterol had been 8.2 in the previous round of tests but the HDL was 2. Our new doctor said I did not need statins as HDL was fine. I was put on them when I lived in London but couldn't tolerate them. I tried several brands and just decided to die with the cholesterol and stop worrying about it. I was tested to see if it was the hereditary kind but it wasn't, so down to diet and exercise. As I had to check my BP over a fortnight I decided to stop all alcohol and exercise more. Lo and behold my cholesterol went from 8.2 to 6.9 and BP lowered. So water is the new Cab Sav for me. I try to average between 6000-10000 steps a day. If you have the hereditary kind you are probably wise to take statins but if not try natural ways first. I hate taking any form of pills.

parker Wed 27-Jul-16 16:02:32

I am reluctantly on statins due to heart problems, I can live with a small dose but not the higher one, so try them.

Maggymay Wed 27-Jul-16 16:31:56

I've had high cholesterol for a few years now and tried to get it down by diet and found that hard,so last year when it was 7.4 I reluctantly went on a low dose statin.

But for the last 6 months I've had constant pain in my left shoulder and upper arm,eventually went to the doctor and frozen shoulder was diagnosed,

The Doctor gave me a steroid injection and it worked a treat,I now have to regularly exercise my arm and am almost pain free

I do wonder if the pain was caused by the statins.

granjura Wed 27-Jul-16 22:13:31

Lona, 8 is very high and double the acceptable level- so I ma surprised about your doctor's comment.

If your doctor told you that the choice was between taking statins and an early devastating stroke or debilitating heart attack- what would be your rationale for refusing statins- out of interest. Thanks.

Newquay Thu 28-Jul-16 00:36:53

How strange Maggie, my pain after previous statins was in my shoulder.
It soon stopped when I stopped previous statin.
I do some exercise although not 10,000 steps a day.
Would love to do Aqua fit but can't find a suitable class.
I do have oats every morning.

Falconbird Thu 28-Jul-16 06:05:46

My cholesterol is always high 7.1 and the lowest reading 6.5. However two docs have both said it is very good cholesterol and statins aren't needed. I'm a vegetarian but not convinced that this has much effect and the doctor won't comment.

One doctor said good cholestrol was hereditary and that some of mine was bad but not very much.

I saw a clinical pharmacist and she advised cutting down on cheese and chocolate and to eat low fat cheese which is really not very nice. Has anyone tried low fat cheese? It goes hard in the fridge and seems to go mouldy quickly.

I'm trying to lose a stone in weight. I'm 11 stone and 5` 3" but it's slow progress.

Rowantree Thu 28-Jul-16 16:04:12

My cholesterol a few years ago was 7 which shocked me, but I was and am very overweight - in the obese category :-(. I've been trying harder to eat sensibly and always eat plenty of wholefoods, fruit, veg and fish but it's the other stuff too I can't resist! After trying a lot harder and getting more exercise it went down to 6, but the GP isn't worried because my good cholesterol is high. I'm still keen to get it down, but the exercise has lapsed in recent weeks because I'm so tired (extra grandchildren commitments) and my weight's risen again on holiday and with my father's 90th birthday break.
What I'd like to know is: what is a good blood pressure for someone in their 60s? I'm nearly 63 and I'm confused!

Falconbird Thu 28-Jul-16 16:12:36

I had a blood pressure monitor for 24 hours and it came out as an average of 32 over 70 which is acceptable. I'm 70 at the end of the year.

Falconbird Thu 28-Jul-16 16:14:38

Sorry 132 over 70 smile 32 would have been worrying.

petra Thu 28-Jul-16 16:18:31

I'm fortunate that I have a doctor who thinks the same as me: it's a money making machine. He knows that everyone is different and operates on a different level.
Mine never drops below 9 even when I went on a savage low fat diet for 6 months.
A while ago i went with my friend to see her cardiologist ( she had had 2 heart attacks.
After those they put her on statins. She could hardly walk down the road with the pain in her legs.
She took herself off them. When she told the cardiologist what she had done, he said: good and stay off them.
Did anyone read in the paper that the ex public health officer of England had taken himself off statins.

KatyK Thu 28-Jul-16 16:44:32

My blood pressure is usually about 137/74 which I think is OK. It shoots up when a medical person takes it!

Newquay Thu 28-Jul-16 20:09:22

Had a share lunch with fellow sopranos today. Amongst MANY things talked about chloresterol came up and they were all shocked when I said my7.6 level.
It did make me realise though that I don't know the figures for my good/bad chloresterol.
Some said don't take the statins and have a strict diet. I said I'm going to take this lower dose and have another blood test after 3 months as suggested and make a decision then meanwhile have as healthy and low fat diet as is reasonable.
Porridge for breakfast and bowl of fruit.
At shared lunch I had salmon, lean ham, small slice of quiche (left pastry). Salad.
Pud was fruit salad and small slice lemon polenta cake.
Just had mackerel on toast followed by two slices fruit loaf.
And ? Small slice coffee and walnut cake with double cream on top-I am only human!

Rowantree Fri 29-Jul-16 10:41:07

Newquay how very dare you be human??
Your lunch sounds delicious, though.

KatyK white-coat syndrome is well recognised, isn't it? I take my own when I remember, which is sporadically.

I can't remember which of the figures is the one to take more notice of - the higher or lower? And I also keep forgetting which is systolic and which is diatolic(diastolic?) and what they mean. Anyone? :-)

KatyK Fri 29-Jul-16 11:26:52

Yes Rowantree white coat syndrome is what I have. The medics always look aghast when they take it but I take it regularly at home and keep a record and take it in to the docs so they are happy. I am on medication but just a low dose. I don't know which figure is which but they seem to be more concerned if the bottom figure is high for a long time. When I was first put on medication(in my 40s) my BP was 210/108 !!!
I lived to tell the tale. I think I was fortunate that I had booked a well woman check and they found it.

Falconbird Fri 29-Jul-16 16:10:42

KatyK - I have this phobia as well. My BP was 190 over 90 and the nurse said I couldn't leave until I'd seen a doctor.

After the 24 hour BP monitor it was an average of 132 over 70. I had to have an ecg as well but it all turned out OK.

I think docs are taking this phobia into account these days.

KatyK Fri 29-Jul-16 17:14:09

Yes I think they are Falconbird As high as mine was, the GP sent me home to 'relax' for a week. I couldn't relax as I thought I was about to have a stroke!