Gransnet forums

Health

Post viral cough?

(35 Posts)
DatDat Wed 29-Feb-12 18:48:05

An upper respiratory virus has been doing the rounds in my family and I myself had it last week. Although it has pretty much gone now and I am feeling a lot better, I am left with a nagging cough which I am reliably informed by my GP is called a "Post viral cough." Sometimes it makes me cough so hard that I end seeing stars and nearly choking, and although the sensation to cough is always there, when I do cough it never actually feels any better. The GP said that it would go by itself in time, however it is driving me mad, so if anyone out there has any tips about how to get rid of a post viral cough then I would be very grateful.

goldengirl Wed 29-Feb-12 19:51:28

Oh thank goodness I'm not alone! I've had conjunctivitis this last week and also had a cough which feels as though I've something stuck in my throat - especially at night. I've also been told it will go eventually but it is incredibly wearing. I just take sips of water. I can't bear the thought of any more drugs, I rattle already because of other conditions. Every sympathy DatDat

johanna Wed 29-Feb-12 21:28:24

This sounds like catarrh. You can buy a linctus and pastilles for this. The tickle in the back of the throat feels like chinese torture. Especially when horizontal.
Sips of water do help to drain the mucus further down.

I am not a medic, but know this because I had a very good ( old fashioned ) G.P. 30 odd years ago, and that was his diagnosis. He was right!
Don't buy any modern stuff, which promises to dry you up etc. etc.
Just basic syrup to help with catarrh.
Good luck.

Carol Wed 29-Feb-12 21:44:28

Manuka honey 15+ spread onto a small piece of bread and swallowed at bedtime helps to lubricate the throat. A spray of Otrivine for rhinitis helps to clear the nasal pasages if they are dripping catarrh and causing the tickle, a few fruit gums to suck on the bedside table, and a glass of water to sip. Keep propped up with pillows. That's my routine when this happens, and it gets better after 2 or 3 days. This is after years of using anything and everything to try and sort the cough out, after a cold.

Granny23 Wed 29-Feb-12 21:48:05

I find a few drops of Olbas Oil on my pillow at night is a big help. For the tiny tickle, I discovered by sheer chance (because I also had a mouth ulcer), that a Rinsted Pastille sucked slowly, works like magic.

crimson Wed 29-Feb-12 21:55:40

Vicks vapour rub on the soles of your feet with socks over. And, if it carries on see your Doctor again; I had a cough for 8 weeks the other winter and I did need antibiotics eventually. Surprised your Doctor didn't give you an asthma inhaler like becotide [obviously not for asthma but just to ease the cough]. It's so debilitating. I spent weeks not being able to go to the cinema or theatre and, if I did I had to sit by the door so I could run out when I had a fit of coughing. Was exhausted from lack of sleep.

grannyactivist Wed 29-Feb-12 21:57:40

I have no pearls of wisdom to offer, having had the worst cough ever for the past seven weeks, but you do have my sympathy. The advice to keep lubricated seems good to me. brew

Annobel Wed 29-Feb-12 22:11:00

I used to get that kind of cough whenever I had a cold and then my doctor decided I had asthma. Magic! The Ventolin inhaler works wonders.

harrigran Wed 29-Feb-12 23:39:04

My sister swears by infusion of sage with honey and lemon, she never buys patent medicine.

MrsJamJam Thu 01-Mar-12 12:38:18

Olbas oil on my pillow, and sips of warm Ribena.

goldengirl Thu 01-Mar-12 16:07:18

I've never heard of Olbas oil. Does one get it at the chemist or health food shop? Sounds a useful thing to have in the cabinet.

GoldenGran Thu 01-Mar-12 16:21:33

Chemist, it is lovely and soothing and unblocking.My daughter uses it for th DG.

goldengirl Thu 01-Mar-12 16:29:59

Thanks GG I'll give it a whirl.

grannyactivist Thu 01-Mar-12 17:20:24

My whole house has been smelling of Olbas oil for weeks - it reminds me of when the children were little and I used it on their sleeptime 'raggies'.
Anyone remember Wright's Coal Tar Vapourisers? They can't be bought now, but were wonderful for my eldest daughter when she had bronchitis.

Annobel Thu 01-Mar-12 17:43:12

My younger son was croupy when he was little - big brother a bit chesty - and the Coal Tar Vaporiser was a godsend. Helped them - and us - to get a decent night's sleep.

nanapug Thu 01-Mar-12 18:08:51

Oh yes, I remember the good old Wrights Coal Tar Vapouriser. It was amazing. I too now use Olbas Oil with good effect. Also I make up a mixture of lemon and honey, and leave it by my bed at night, to sip occasionally when I wake. Manuka honey would be good. I also find just sucking on a boiled sweet in the day time helps too, but careful you don't choke when you cough with it in your mouth. They (who "they" are I'm not sure!!) also say that chocolate is good to prevent coughing. Honestly!!!

justrolljanet Tue 06-Mar-12 13:53:56

I wish they still did the Wrights coal tar vapouriser, my husband and son have had the wretched cough since Christmas, nothing has helped so far, apparently according to our Dr. it is viral bronchitis but can I trust a Dr. who says I have policemans heel when I have never been a policeman hmm

Daisyanswerdo Tue 06-Mar-12 14:15:02

I agree about Wrights coal tar vapourisers. They were so good at helping children with coughs and colds, especially during the night. I suppose it was elf'n'safety saying a flame was too dangerous, even though the nightlight was always in a saucer of water and covered by the container.

helena Tue 06-Mar-12 21:34:32

Its so good to know that I'm not the only one suffering this ridiculous cough! I have had it for over a month now. Just when I think its settling it starts up again. I feel as if I've got cotton wool shoved down the back of my throat and it feels tender when swallowing. Nights are a nightmare! The tickle wakes me up and causes me to cough for ages before eventually abating. I've tried everything from Olbas and Vicks to hot toddy's and honey/lemon drinks. Nothing works sad
It looks as though us sufferers are just going to have to wait it out hmm

Annobel Tue 06-Mar-12 22:37:11

You might find that iced water is more soothing than anything hot. Citrus drinks can be too acidic for an already inflamed throat.

Mamie Wed 07-Mar-12 07:45:13

I sympathise Helena. I have had these dreadful coughs - don't want to make you feel worse, but my record was nine weeks. I still get them, but not nearly as badly since I retired and don't have to use my voice all the time. I find using an extra pillow helps, a couple of pain killers at bedtime to soothe it (obviously you have to be careful with these), but that is about it. Mine give me catarrh for ages, night and day.
My doctor recently put me on an Ace Inhibitor for high blood pressure and sure enough I got the cough side effect, but that stopped as soon as he changed the medication.

helena Sat 10-Mar-12 23:04:04

Well, I'm now into my fifth week of coughing and spluttering!! Just when I think things are improving, it starts up again. I've tried every remedy going but nothing seems to work.
Help! I'm getting desperate for a good nights sleep. Any ideas? there might be something I haven't tried (short of TNT!).

KateOz Sat 28-Feb-15 23:34:21

Try this if your cough just doesn't go away:

Pure (100%) French Lavender oil
Applied on your chest, or back, or on either side of the throat or the back of your neck.

Pure chamomile tea
Take two tea bags, cut through and empty the chamomile into a cup. Add boiling water and steep for 3 minutes. Strain through a fine strainer into another cup. Do this twice a day, or have one cup after the other.

Other things to do if possible:
Eat a mainly alkaline diet (please google)
No sugar, no honey, no grains, no wheat
Drink freshly squeezed lemon juice with warm water.
Have fresh wheatgrass shots if you can get them or use a powdered mix.

Other things which get rid of cough, sore throat and mucous
Fresh pineapple
Kelp (usually used in Japanese stocks for miso soup but you can add pieces into other soups and stews)

Hope this helps someone xx

janerowena Sat 28-Feb-15 23:50:00

I could have sworn this was this year's thread, it's all still happening around here, but for even longer. the hundred day cough, as it's now known. I have had mine since 26th December. It's driving me mad. Night Nurse and Pirinase nasal spray and Boot's mucous cough relief are my current poisons of choice. I've tried all the non-medicinal cures and they don't work for long enough, they just give temporary relief. I would say to lay off dairy, which thickens mucous. One day last week I really fancied greek yoghourt and really suffered for it afterwards.

Galen Sun 01-Mar-15 00:01:28

Same here!
The cough I mean
The dairy theory is rubbish not proven!