Gransnet forums

Health

painful knee- OA- anyone used Arthroplex?

(23 Posts)
expatmaggie Tue 03-Apr-12 11:32:44

I have had a flyer this morning in a UK magazine recommending Arthroplex and have found out that in Germany it is only used for dogs and cats.

Ariadne Tue 03-Apr-12 12:35:30

I saw that, and wondered if it was any good. (Same problem, expatmaggie)
Am trying a rosehip thing which comes well recommended, but I too would like to know what other people think about Arthroplex- they make some pretty big claims for its efficacy!

susiecb Tue 03-Apr-12 16:08:08

This is just glucosamine and green lipped mussel again with a few other chemicals the glucosamine didnt work for me, works for some not others and as we have said before if you choose to spend your money then its up to you. I do think if it worked all our rheumatologists would be recommending it mine says 'well if you think it will help it may do'.

MrsJamJam Tue 03-Apr-12 16:40:51

DH had a lot of help from an osteopath and his knee is much improved. The osteopath initially said that he couldn't always do anything for knees, so certainly didn't push his services.

Also, we both take glucosamine with chondroitin every day, even though the GP is sceptical. Have done for ten years, so dare not stop now in case it does work!

Greatnan Tue 03-Apr-12 16:55:19

I used to suffer from painful knees and hips and I googled 'Chondroitin and Glucosamine'. No studies appear to back up claims that they are helpful.
I took diclofenac, then Naproxen, for about ten years until I found out what risks they carried (no doctor had mentioned them). An X-ray showed that there was a bit of roughness around my knee joints as a result of wear and tear.
I walked 10 kms today with no pain. I attribute this to lots and lots of walking and losing two stones. I don't take any medication (other than 2.5 mg Ramipril for bp).
I know many of you suffer much more severely than I did and would not be able to manage without medication, or undertake the vigorous walking, but there might be some of you who could benefit. I started gently and built up my joints gradually - I still wear knee bandages and knee supports, just to be on the safe side.

expatmaggie Tue 03-Apr-12 19:42:15

Thanks to all of you. I tried rose hip and it worked for a while but you have to take 5 huge capsules per day and I let it go. I take diclofenac and one lasts a couple of days with me. 10 years ago I had the same problems with my left knee which is now painless.
Now my right knee troubles me and to be honest it is better if I don't drive.
I'm going to ask my brother in law as their dog has painful joints due to false breeding- poor thing! If it works for dogs it might help us!

greatnan- did you have the bandages specially measured?

Greatnan Tue 03-Apr-12 19:47:10

No, I buy them from Decathlon and they have a tape measure for you to measure round your knee. The supports have a plastic piece about 2" long which is fastened under the knee cap with a velcro strap. You can get the bandages from most pharmacies here, but they are much dearer than those from Decathlon - my last one was only about €3.

crimson Tue 03-Apr-12 20:06:41

For some reason I stopped taking glucosamine and cod liver oil round Christmas time, and I'm actually hurting all over at the moment. Perhaps it's because I'm so cold. Have started taking it again but it takes a while to build up, and Id been taking it for years. I think my doctor said to take a really high dose to start off with and then reduce gradually. I fear I might have to hit the heavy stuff for a while as I couldn't sleep last night; woke up every hour in pain [and I'd even had a large glass of wine to get me to sleep, something I don't do at the weekend and certainly not when I've got work the next day].

Burgio Thu 26-Apr-12 13:40:11

I also have had a flyer and researching it on the Internet led me to this brilliant site. So, does anyone have any further info on this product? The claims do appear to be unbelievable and I agree that if it was so good, doctors would be prescribing daily. However, we also know that some things do work. I have had extensive surgery in my foot and also a recent hip replacement op. My knees are also very painful as is my shoulder so perhaps I am looking for "miracle" supplement.

tanith Thu 26-Apr-12 14:14:10

I've tried all the supplements at one time or another and found none that made any difference.. even though I kept taking some of them namely the Glu/choindritin and the Rosehip for a good 6mths.

I've found as Greatnan says that walking is the best therapy which strengthens the muscles and tendons around the painful joints.. I also swim once or twice a week but I do still have to take my Naproxen as I really am in too much pain without it.. I just need to now get off a little weight which would help enormously but I'm finding it so difficult.

rhh23 Thu 26-Apr-12 14:55:44

I cannot comment on whether Arthroplex is any good as I am still waiting for it's delivery!
I ordered it on the 7th March and received confirmation on the 8th that my order was being processed and that I should receive it in 3-5 working days or in exceptional circumstances not more than 2 weeks.
I heard nothing more from them and eventually my credit card was charged for it on the 7th April.
I received their so called free gift on the 17th April from an address in Guernsey and I still await the Arthroplex -the post has already been today.
I have telephoned them twice and on both occasions was told it was on its way and that they have been waiting for supplies. The last time I phoned they informed me it had been sent from Switzerland on the 12th April!
They also charge a postage fee of £4.99 for this abysmal service.
I would NEVER re-order from this company however well it worked, that's if I ever do find out.

crimson Fri 27-Apr-12 13:28:20

Greatnan; naproxen is now back in favour but diclofenac out. I am tempted to borrow a naproxen from the S.O. to see if it helps my sciatica, although I don't want to go down the pain killing route if I can help it. I would like a decent nights sleep, though.

tanith Fri 27-Apr-12 13:40:44

Crimson Naproxen needs to build up in your system over time to be properly effective , much better if you go to the GP to get something , I know how excruciating Sciatica can be.. there are stretches that you can do to alleviate the pain, have you asked for some physio? that might help

crimson Fri 27-Apr-12 14:06:02

I'd probably have to wait a few months, you know how long these referrals take! I had private physio a few years back and have got the exercises somewhere. Since then I've not slept on my left hand side but slipped into bad habits recently [the more you can't do something etc]. Always slept with a pillow between my knees; again stopped doing it. The most annoying part is that, painfull as it is in the daytime, it's when I lie down to sleep that it really kicks in and my leg takes on a life of it's own. Going to dig out those exercises...

crimson Fri 27-Apr-12 14:12:47

...exercises make no sense now but found some good exercises on utube [isn't ututbe great!] so shall start doing them..when I've had a cup of tea.

tanith Fri 27-Apr-12 14:14:31

You maybe should get it checked out as my Sciatica was a precursor to my deteriorating hip O/A and since I had my hip-replacement its been almost non-existent , with just the odd niggle now and then. Mind its now flaring up in the other leg/buttock and I'm wondering if thats also related to my other hip or knee..
Get working on those excercises anyway and you ask the doctor to give you a muscle relaxant for the nights when its particularly bad, I was given a very low dose of Amitryptiline which worked a treat , I only used it occasionally if I'd had a few bad nights but it certainly allowed me to catch up with sleep.

Creakyjoints Fri 27-Apr-12 14:32:04

Just received the flyer as a magazine insert. I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole. Look at the X-ray pics and even worse the day 1 to day 68 'progress' pics. Does anyone believe such improvement could be attained by a few months' taking plant extract?

Like anyone, I would pay or do anything to relieve the pain of my wife's arthritis. This snake oil certainly won't do anything except make money for those who are peddling it.

And if you really must have it, suggest you pay by cheque. Do NOT give these people your credit card details.

Burgio Sat 28-Apr-12 14:08:49

I had a hip problem which was eventually diagnosed as AO and ended up in a hip replacement. During the lead up to this op I developed severe sciatica which made my life hell. However, I went to a good private physiotherapist and she worked like mad on my back. It seems that it was completely out of alignment and in the end she got rid of the sciatic pain altogether. I was convinced it came from my hip but it appears that body adjusts to it's most comfortable position when something is wrong so the pain you end up experiencing probably has its roots elsewhere. she has since done wonders for me in my recuperation after the hip operation and even the lower back pain which I have had for years is now far, far better. My advice, go and see a good physiotherapist.

Charlotta Sat 28-Apr-12 15:57:15

Good advice Burgio it costs money but is well worth it,. Physiotherapists really study anatomy but the GP probably had only had a couple of lectures and relies on Xrays more than a 'hands on' approach.

crimson Sat 28-Apr-12 19:15:46

Yes; the chipped bone in my knee was diagnosed as mild arthritis..it took 9 months before I was walking properly again with the help of an osteopath [or the other one]; this was poo pooed by the consultant that I finally got to see when I was back on my feet.

JosephineJones Tue 29-May-12 19:32:39

After having been contacted through my blog by a couple of other unhappy customers, I Googled Arthroplex and found this thread. There is also a similar thread on the Money Saving Expert site, indicating that a few other people have also not received goods they had paid for:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3930021

The company also trade as Life Natural Cures and Life Healthcare and I had written about them before because they have been in trouble with the Advertising Standards Authority several times in the past for misleading advertising.

I would advise anyone who has had problems with this company to contact their local Trading Standards office or Citizens Advice Bureau.

I have written about this more fully on a recent post on my blog:

josephinejones.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/arthroplex-instant-relief-for-the-wallet/

jeni Tue 29-May-12 20:16:59

Just seen the post of28april! I spent a whole year dissecting and learning the anatomy of the whole body!
I know the young GPs of today don't, but please don't tar us all with that brush! angry

JosephineJones Sun 10-Jun-12 21:07:30

The Advertising Standards Authority have told me that they are investigating the Arthroplex leaflet that recently appeared in various magazines.

I also wrote to the MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency), who told me that they and the ASA have received over forty complaints about the leaflet. They said that investigations so far have failed to locate a UK trading address but enquiries are ongoing.