Gransnet forums

Health

Hip stuff - again!

(60 Posts)
Mishap Fri 12-Sep-14 21:13:14

Op is on Tuesday week. I am looking round my house and thinking about the changes I might need to make in order to manage in the initial few weeks.

I wondered if those of you who have done all this before might have some advice for me please.

The only chairs we have are dining chairs, or low sofas/armchairs. Ought I to try and borrow an upright armchair from somewhere, or did you find ways of coping? Were you asked to keep your feet up when siting down for the few weeks afterwards?

I am wondering if our bed might be a bit low as well.

Did you manage to get up and down stairs when you first went home?

I am also thinking abut my wee GC who are here a lot - I am thinking they might need to stay away initially in order not to jump on me/push me over! Was this a problem for anyone? I will miss them if they are not here!

How long did people need to take painkillers afterwards? I am hopeless on most painkillers - I just fall asleep - and get blocked up to the eyeballs! But I am also a pain wimp!

I am to have a spinal anaesthetic, but also a "light general anaesthetic" - I was quite keen just to have the spinal, but the surgeon says I would get too uncomfortable lying on my side for that length of time. I am hoping that it will be very light, as I vomit for England after GAs (and cannot take the main anti-emetic that is used). I am hoping that the "light GA" equates to a bit of sedation.

As you can see, I am finding things to worry about, so any of you old hands who might have advice would be welcomed with open arms!

HildaW Fri 12-Sep-14 21:39:59

Mishap, no advice I'm afraid, not something I know anything about but would just like to send you my best wishes and I hope that all goes well. P.S. seem to remember jolly old Craig Revel Horwood was twirling away merrily a month or so after his op......so do plan for a few complications but, you may well be pleasantly surprised. X

Tresco Fri 12-Sep-14 21:49:25

A friend of mine had this done, and she got some sort of special blocks to put under the legs of her chair (and maybe the bed) to raise it to a better height - came from the local disability supplies shop. I wish you well with the op, and a speedy recovery.

Charleygirl Fri 12-Sep-14 21:53:25

Low armchairs and sofas are no- nos. Could you borrow an armchair? Re a dining room chair, it would be better if it had arms so that you can get up more easily. It also should not be low.

Re your bed, you should get help from the Occupational Therapist at the hospital but mention it asap as the work will have to be done before you are discharged.

You should also be given a raised loo seat at the hospital. I do not know if you have a loo upstairs and down but that is something to consider because some hospitals will only lend one.

You will be taught how to "do" stairs before you leave. Have you got somebody who can cook for you and also bring a tea or coffee to your armchair because you may be discharged using crutches.

I hope that this helps!

tanith Fri 12-Sep-14 22:35:44

They will get you walking up and downstairs before discharge Mishap, I managed to stop with the pain relief after about a week. The hospital gave me raised toilet seat, a grabber (so I could pick up stuff without bending), good advise about getting your bed raised.

I came home walking with just one stick but everyone is different, you will be given excercises to do the day after the op and the more you can manage them the better, they give you some standing ones and some to do while lying on the bed. You also have to sleep on your back for the first couple of weeks I found it very uncomfortable. I had my grandchildren round a couple of times but made sure I was lying on the bed when they were here I wouldn't want them running around while I was trying to walk about. I got a high stool for using in the kitchen so I could manage to make a cuppa or a sandwich for myself after about a week but I definately needed help with food and dressing for a couple of weeks.

Good luck hope all goes well

Lona Fri 12-Sep-14 22:38:14

Good luck Mishap and try not to worry too much flowers

Coolgran65 Sat 13-Sep-14 00:58:40

Wishing you well for your surgery.
All will fall into place getting ready for discharge and coping at home.
I do understand the crossing of more bridges than will be needed.... you are trying to be prepared for all eventualities.

whitewave Sat 13-Sep-14 20:19:50

flowers mishap a relative of mine and a friend have both recently had this operation and managed very well indeed - I think that it is a very successful op. They were both attended by occupational therapists before going in and they supplied all sorts of stuff needed which was later returned. The female managed better than the male (naturally) largely because she was a dragon at her exercises and simply insisted on keeping moving as much as she could, so that may be the secret.
Best of luck just think this time next year you will be running!!!! well at least walking properly.

durhamjen Sat 13-Sep-14 21:21:52

My sister phoned me up today, having just come home from having her second hip op.
She was telling me that she thought she might have to ask the Red Cross for some equipment that she might need such as toilet frames, but there was an old people's home closing so she could take her pick of new ones. So you could ring up the Red Cross to see if they can help.
One tip she told me about the stockings. They do not provide the frames for putting them on - her husband has difficulty using his hands. However, if you put a plastic bag over your leg, the stocking will slide on easily. Then you just pull the bag out through the toe hole.

Good luck for next week.

annodomini Sat 13-Sep-14 21:24:29

I borrowed blocks to raise my bed from my neighbour who had had two hips replaced. I needed a new chair, so bought a recliner which was a bit higher than my sofa and a friend lent me a memory foam pillow to sit on. A footstool was recommended. I also borrowed a raised loo seat which I didn't need for very long. I was given a sedative along with the spinal anaesthetic and was only occasionally aware of what was going on. Mostly I was snoozing. I am also very badly affected by anaesthetics; however, it was the morphine that made me sick. Can't win! My son and DiL brought the children up to see me after a couple of weeks by which time I was reasonably mobile and there were no incidents involving small people trying to climb on me. Social Services provided me with a trolley on which to put meals and I already had an over-bed table which could be used with my chair.

annodomini Sat 13-Sep-14 21:36:14

Finally, mishap, I didn't need painkillers for very long. I react badly to codeine so usually have to be content with paracetamol.
Good luck and don't worry. Just do what they physios tell you and you'll be all right.

Galen Sat 13-Sep-14 22:00:38

I've pm'd you. I'm not that far away in north North Somerset by the way.

TriciaF Sat 13-Sep-14 22:04:05

I had a hip replacement 8 years ago - it was very successful TG.
Others have covered most things. The most important, we were told, is to be careful bending over to pick things up etc.The physio will explain it, but I was advised to only bend the non-operated leg
I had to wear a compressing stocking for a while, so you need someone to put it on your foot.
Another point is there may be swelling around the wound - ice packs are good for that.
The hardest thing was not being able to have a bath for weeks.
Getting in and out of a car - keep knees together, sit on the seat sideways, then swivel round. I still do that.
Good luck, you'll be fine!

Charleygirl Sat 13-Sep-14 22:16:18

Some hospitals will lend everything required, others suggest that you either hire or buy items.

When on your feet and able to get out and about, be very careful about going to public loos or loos in restaurants because they are all so low. That is a time when one could dislocate the hip.

Good luck!

Galen Sat 13-Sep-14 22:20:34

Oh! Put a plastic bag on the seat of a car. Makes it easier to swivel to get in and out

janerowena Sun 14-Sep-14 22:05:13

My friend's is due very soon, she was telling me today that she has bought some string things that will pull up her socks for her, and some grabbers that will help to pull up her knickers. She has been lent various things, and the NHS have sent round men to install grab rails in her house. She has a special loo-hovering unit which she says looks dire, a stool to lean back against, bricks under her chairs and has had to place another mattress on top of her current one. Will also be chucked out after only two days - scary! She will not be allowed to sit on chairs where her knees are higher than her hips. I'm going to help her out while she is recovering, because she lives alone.

If you can bear it, I would love a daily diary from someone. I would really like to know how people cope and how it feels to be in such a situation. My uncle started off ok, but he had far too much help from my aunt so I didn't get to hear how he coped on his own - what I am trying to say is, I won't get as much help from my own DBH as he is still at work, and also, I am female and will have different problems from my uncle's. Also, I cannot guarantee that the NHS will give me a date that will coincide with school holidays so it is highly unlikely that DBH will have any time off at all.

Mishap Sun 14-Sep-14 22:14:18

Thank you all so much for taking the trouble to post your suggestions and good wishes.

I have had the chance to get lots of advice from galen, for which many thanks.

Main challenge now is to avoid picking up a cold from my very germy GC! I have twice in my life had surgery cancelled because of having a cold and I do not want to go down that route again!

janerowena Sun 14-Sep-14 22:17:19

I do hope you manage a few weeks without your GCs, that is a bit worrying. However, you should at least be virtually recovered by Christmas, which is wonderful.

merlotgran Sun 14-Sep-14 22:25:41

The best piece of equipment the OT dept., loaned us was a perching stool. It was the correct height for all kinds of activities so there was no excuse for DH not to help with peeling potatoes or washing up. We even took it to the local pub so he could join in with Quiz Night!

Plonking it in front of the barbecue kept him out of mischief for a couple of hours and he also managed to fit a new extractor fan in the kitchen with me handing him the necessary screws etc. grin

Good Luck with the op Mishap. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Galen Sun 14-Sep-14 22:49:54

You can shoot arrows from a perching stool[ grin]
But it doesn't improve your aim (or cooking) hmm

Galen Sun 14-Sep-14 22:50:33

grin

Charleygirl Mon 15-Sep-14 12:04:43

Oh Galen you are naughty!

TriciaF Mon 15-Sep-14 22:10:17

Re-reading this thread, it seems most people post-op were recommended to obtain a range of devices/equipment.
Just to say that I had none of those things, apart from a crutch/walking stick, and managed ok.
Although perhaps I was fortunate that in France, where I had my op., they keep you in hospital afterwards for at least 2 weeks with intensive physio.

Charleygirl Mon 15-Sep-14 22:28:26

TriciaF many years ago that was what happened here and at one time if one was very lucky, one was sent to a convalescent home for 2 weeks also. Nowadays in this country, 2-3 days in hospital is normal, hence the discussion re equipment etc. It is survival of the fittest, that is why we are giving Mishap tips for her discharge from hospital.

janerowena Tue 16-Sep-14 11:43:26

I was astonished that the NHS was fitting grabhandles in my friend's house, I wonder if that is usual, or because she lives alone?