Gransnet forums

Health

Heart murmurs

(13 Posts)
kittylester Tue 23-Sep-14 07:06:31

DD2 was born with a heart murmur which had gone by the time she was 6 months old.

A little while ago, when her eldest daught (aged 3) was seeing the gp re a chest infection, it was discovered that she has one. The gp then checked the younger one (just 1) and she has one too!

I'd welcome anyone else's experiences or knowledge of this. They have an appointment with a consultant tomorrow.

Anya Tue 23-Sep-14 07:19:17

There are different degrees of heart murmurs. Both my granddaughters had the mildest kind. We are assured they will cause no problems and they haven't. I think they might have gone now, but I must check with my DiL.

Kiora Tue 23-Sep-14 07:49:49

My youngest had a heart murmur. I'm not allowed to say which branch of the forces he's in but all his civilian friends call him 'action man' it disappeared or at least has never ever caused any problems. Apparently I have one or so I was told before I had an operation some years back. But what I do remember is being upset and worried about my little boy back then. So flowers I hope the outcome for your little ones is as good as mine.

Elegran Tue 23-Sep-14 08:29:04

I ws once told that I had one. I had never noticed it, and it has made no difference. A heart murmur could be serious or just "flow noise" which is what they said mine was, like water going through the domestic pipes when you turn the taps on full.

It seems that the medics are aware of it, so if necessary it will be investigated.

vampirequeen Tue 23-Sep-14 08:46:52

My youngest DD, DGD and youngest DGS all have murmurs. It's never been an issue. DD's became more apparent when she was pregnant but still wasn't an issue. DGS was kept in hospital for a day longer when he was born because it was very pronounced but it faded.

Iam64 Tue 23-Sep-14 09:24:32

I have a slight heart murmur, discovered during my first pregnancy when I was in my twenties. I have always found hill climbing a challenge, but otherwise, no problems at all.

harrigran Tue 23-Sep-14 11:49:36

I have one, discovered years before I went on BP medication. Like Iam64 I have problems walking uphill but otherwise I manage fine. My aunt (mother's sister) had a murmur all her life and lived until she was 97.

janerowena Tue 23-Sep-14 15:18:52

I have one. I can hear it sometimes at night, rather than kerdonk, kerdonk it goes 'awhoosh, awhoosh'. My father used to get upset if I was puffed when I got to the top of our rather large staircase, but I had no idea why, they were a bit worried but never told me. Of course, when they did, I had no idea what they were talking about anyway. Apart from a little careful monitoring for my pregnancies and a more thorough checkup for a mortgage medical, it has never bothered me, but I do get awkward palpitations at times. Slightly uncomfortable, that's all.

kittylester Tue 23-Sep-14 19:10:15

Thank you all!! flowers

We have spent the day with DD and the girls and they seem remarkably unaffected. grin Which is more than I can say - I might just make Eastenders!!

When DD2 was diagnosed my HV was hopeless and one day, when the baby was about 5 days old, left me with the words 'I'll see you in a week, all being well' which, in my newly delivered state, I took to mean 'should the baby live that long'. The midwife came to check on me and found me in floods of tears. Half an hour later, the GP arrived with stethoscope and put my mind at rest but I still used to let her cry to see whether she went blue or not. shock

DD has been assured that heart murmurs are not hereditary so we were slightly shocked to discover that both children had one. Strangely the other granny, who claims everything emanates from her great uncle Tom, hasn't laid claim to this!! grin

I am aware that when DH was in general practice, patients had to have antibiotic cover for certain procedures.

I'll let you know what the consultant says tomorrow!!

Ana Tue 23-Sep-14 19:15:40

I have a slight heart murmur too - the occasional palpitations are a bit disconcerting but usually happen when I'm in 'resting' mode so I just breathe more deeply and evenly and my heartbeat regulates.

I've never had to have a mortgage medical though!

rosequartz Tue 23-Sep-14 20:05:08

DM told me I had a heart murmur when I was a child - she didn't tell me until I was about 30.

DD1 was diagnosed with one when she had a chest infection aged about 2. Seen by a Forces consultant and we were told that 1 in 10 children is born with a heart murmur and that 1 in 100 may have a problem caused by it. He said that she was not the 1 in 100 and to go away and forget about it.

felice Wed 24-Sep-14 01:42:59

born with a heart murmur, Aortic Stynosis, never bothered me at all. I had regular check ups as a child, and then sort of forgot about it, did lots of sport and had 3 children.
8 years ago had the valve replaced, great success, now it is the one health problem i don't have.

tanith Wed 24-Sep-14 09:54:51

They discovered I had one in my 40's some doctors can hear and others say I don't but it was confirmed with a doplar test but still some doctors can't hear it. I've not worried about it.