Gransnet forums

Health

SPECTACLES

(45 Posts)
hildajenniJ Mon 29-Sep-14 17:02:58

I had my eyes tested on Friday and required new spectacles. Specsavers are not cheap. Has anyone used Costco for specs., and if so, how did you find the service and prices.

Anne58 Mon 29-Sep-14 19:41:36

I too need new glasses, and the price for the varifocal lenses isn't cheap!

I have heard good reports about Glasses Direct, and on-line retailer, haven't tried them myself, but would love to find a cheaper option. No Costco around here, I'm afraid.

Bez Mon 29-Sep-14 19:52:18

Specsavers have frequent offers on - I like the 2 for 1 because I then have new sun specs too. I personally would not buy varificals from any online place purely because they need to be fitted correctly to get the lens in the right place - otherwise you would not necessarily be looking through the right part of the lens. The last varifocal lenses I had were slightly more expensive but they are much much better- the 'view' you have is wider.

Gagagran Mon 29-Sep-14 20:08:57

DH uses Glasses Direct and has been very pleased with them. He gets his eye test done at Specsavers and takes away the prescription. What you need - and they can be reluctant to tell you - is the distance between your pupils but I asked what mine was and noted it down for possible future use if I decide to try Glasses Direct myself.

I have been reluctant to date because I have varifocals and photo-chromatic lenses and as Bez says you need the different lenses in the right place. I might give them a go next time as my last pair from Specsavers were £300 and that hurt the budget!

Anne58 Mon 29-Sep-14 20:12:08

Bez the last time I tried the 2 for 1 at specsavers I ended up cancelling the second pair because it still worked out to be very expensive. I have the not quite top of the range varifocals (just the next one down) and always try to choose frames in the lower price bracket (my last ones were reduced as they were in the sale as were being discontinued) but my glasses were still the wrong side of £250 shock

Ana Mon 29-Sep-14 20:28:12

Why would you cancel the second pair if they were free? confused

I only wear specs for driving and sometimes watching tv, and have found Specsavers very reasonable (unlike Boots, where many years ago I had terrible service and they were expensive!).

I have astigmatism so my lenses aren't absolutely straightforward, but I've never paid more than the price for the frames displayed at Specsavers. I appreciate that varifocal lenses will add to the price, of course.

kittylester Mon 29-Sep-14 20:52:11

I would never use anyone other than an independent optician. I like seeing the same person time after time and I trust them much more than a multiple!

POGS Mon 29-Sep-14 21:20:14

I had an eye test in August at Specsavers and subsequently purchased 2 pairs of glasses. One frame was gold costing £99 , the other was mauve costing £85 and both were fitted with standard variafocals costing £49 per frame. The total for BOTH pairs was £282.

As is the case with Specsavers the offer was buy 2 pairs and get one free. BOTH pairs cost the total of £141, in other words £70.50p a pair. I thought that was quite good for 2 pairs with variafocals. confused

Out of interest I had my first pair fitted and there was a problem with the left lense, no issue, a new lense was ordered and all was fine. The second pair arrived and all was OK.

Then a pure coincidence happened and after 3 days I started to get a black spidery image in my eye and that turned to a dark green elongated oak leaf in the corner of my right eye. I went to Specsavers and they got me an emergency appointment with the owner and he sent a fax to the Leicester Royal Infirmary Eye Clinic, whilst I was there, as there was a problem and he thought I had detached vitreous from the retina (jelly in the eye) and it required quick attention to ensure the retina didn't have a tare or damage.

The fax was sent last Wednesday, I received a call from the LRI the very next morning and went to the clinic the same day, thursday. I had a 3 hour wait, inclusive of waiting for drops to work and was told yes I have PVD and it is quite common and is age related.

Good service all round from Specsavers.

POGS Mon 29-Sep-14 21:22:24

And the Leicester Royal Infirmary.

Charleygirl Mon 29-Sep-14 22:23:04

kittylester I am with you 100%. The service is second to none with mine and he is the one who diagnosed my Macular disease. I have been going to the same place since 1979 and his father treated me previously.

numberplease Mon 29-Sep-14 22:29:53

Hubby and I go to Specsavers, we find them very reasonable compared with the optician my daughter uses, they come to the house to do the test, then back again in 2 weeks with her specs, but they`re not cheap. I think they`re part of Lloyds group.

Nelliemoser Mon 29-Sep-14 22:45:43

Kittylester I go to an independent optician now. He is very good and as I have a bad family history of Glaucoma I really do want to make sure I see the same person regularly.

He has been really good at monitoring slight changes in the back of my eye that are indicative of Glaucoma. I just hope he does not decide to retire soon he is about my age.

Anne58 Mon 29-Sep-14 23:03:19

Ana because they are never actually "free" it's the old thing, "terms & conditions apply"

For example, with regard to"free" varifocal lenses, these are often listed as a "free" option, until you read the small print (providing of course that you have glasses that enable you to see it) but you then find out that that only applies to the very minimum/basic version of the varifocal range.

Ana Mon 29-Sep-14 23:07:52

Yes, I understand what you mean, phoenix. (Was going to say 'I see' but thought it might sound a bit facetious...wink)

As I don't need varifocals I take advantage of the 2 for 1 offer and sometimes pay the extra £12 or so for the second pair to be tinted - ideal for driving in bright conditions.

Anne58 Mon 29-Sep-14 23:24:21

Pogs Am I right in thinking that when you say "standard" varifocals you mean the sort of "entry level" ones, with the minimum width field?

Anne58 Mon 29-Sep-14 23:25:54

Ana very much wish there was some sort of special night driving ones available!

POGS Mon 29-Sep-14 23:26:10

Phoenix

The terms and conditions are quite clearly shown on large boards throughout our store.

e.g Buy one pair get another pair free of charge, for glasses supplied with 'standard' lenses and the frames chosen are £69 and above. I was made perfectly aware the offer is for standard lenses and variafocals were supplied at an extra cost. As I have said mine cost £70.50 a pair including variofocals. confused

How strange it varies from store to store. I believe Specsavers is run on a franchise basis, I wonder if that has any bearing on our different experiences.

Ana Mon 29-Sep-14 23:31:14

I'm sorry about your fear of night driving, phoenix - I'm not that keen myself but find the more often I do it, the easier it gets.

POGS Mon 29-Sep-14 23:35:54

Pheonix

I always have the standard variafocal fitted because I have no need of the the premium range.

I think there is a lot of variance according to your prescription and the depth of frames. E.g if I chose frames that were too small in 'depth' for my prescription I may require the premium range to be able to get the right field of vision or as has happened I can't choose wee frames because they simply are not suitable for my prescription. Blind as a bat. confused

Standard lenses in the literal sense means non variafocal/tinted/sunglasses/bi-focal.

Anne58 Mon 29-Sep-14 23:42:51

Thank you POGS,
^ The terms and conditions are quite clearly shown on large boards throughout our store^ Do you mean your local branch, or do you actually work for Specsavers?

POGS Tue 30-Sep-14 00:02:29

Phoenix

No I am retired and never worked for Specsavers or any opticians. I do sound like an advert for them though don't I. grin

It's purely the case that I have used my local Specsavers for years and they are so good, had the same optician too.

Also I have, as I mentioned, been into the store a few times over the past 5 weeks so it is fresh in my memory and the charging system and the minimum cost of the frame (£69) hasn't changed donkeys years.

I do sound a smart ass but I have only been trying to help the OP. confused

hildajenniJ Tue 30-Sep-14 08:55:40

The only frames I found suited me in Specsavers were lilac and silver at £99. I don't want reactions lenses again as I found that going indoors after being out in the sunshine (not even sunshine, just a bright day) in the winter, I was unable to see much until they cleared. Rather disconcerting when out shopping. I had a similar problem to you pogsbut the Optician at Specsavers did all the tests needed (btw I also had flashes at the corner of my right eye) she came to the same conclusion as your eye hospital. Seems quite common.

Pity noone has been to Costco. I might try them as one or two people around here have been and had very good service from them.

KatyK Tue 30-Sep-14 09:42:24

I have used Direct Specs - cheap and cheerful. I'm not sure if they are countrywide. DH and I also get our reading glasses from the 99p shop smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 30-Sep-14 09:46:06

Yes. I've had a PVD too. Went to the opticians when I suddenly had a load of floaters in one eye and, like POGS was sent straight to the Eye Clinic.

POGS Tue 30-Sep-14 10:11:08

Hilda

So did you buy them and have two pairs for £99 plus lenses (£50+) a pair???

I like having frames of differing colours, match my clothes, I like my mauve pair the best.