Gransnet forums

Health

The bearded lady

(157 Posts)
Brabant Mon 06-Oct-14 09:25:30

Does anyone have a solution for those wretched hairs that grow on your chin once you are past the menopause. I am tired of tweezering them out and swear they multiply daily. There has to be a way of eradicating them once and for all, just don't know what it might be.

Brendawymms Mon 06-Oct-14 09:28:17

Trouble is that they are probably grey or white so electrolysis and laser won't work as no pigments. I don't know what works and have the same problem and tweezers. Hope a GN'er has the answer.

Lona Mon 06-Oct-14 09:48:03

Frankly, I don't think there is a real answer. It's just one of those things that happen as we get older, and all you can do is try plucking/waxing etc.
They do seem to spring forth overnight! shock

Teetime Mon 06-Oct-14 09:49:59

Just book a monthly wax- they getter sparser the more times you do it but never seem to completely go.

annodomini Mon 06-Oct-14 10:03:25

On the advice of someone (sorry I forget whose) I bought a Wizzit hair removal device from Amazon. I didn't have a bad problem, but was always conscious of those hairs that did appear. The gadget grips and removes even tiny hairs so I don't have to use it very often. And it's cheap! I am very grateful to whoever recommended it.

Ana Mon 06-Oct-14 10:05:29

It could have been me, anno, I'm always banging on about my Wizzit whenever this type of problem comes up. Great for upper lip hair too! smile

joannapiano Mon 06-Oct-14 10:09:28

My friend, whose problem is worse than mine, goes for threading, and it's cheap.
Local large store has a lady in a franchise space.

annodomini Mon 06-Oct-14 10:38:32

Yes, Ana. It must have been you and I'm very grateful. smile

Marelli Mon 06-Oct-14 10:48:40

I have an Epilady (for the face). It does work well, but it's so, so painful on the upper lip - where the hair seems to grow in dark. If left, might end up looking like Hitler... shock!

Anya Mon 06-Oct-14 10:59:04

I've ordered one Ana on your recommendation - not that I need it of course, but just in case hmm

Anya Mon 06-Oct-14 11:00:12

Marelli grin

Brabant Mon 06-Oct-14 11:09:57

Right, seems like some kind of epilator is the thing. I'll give it a go. None too keen on the adjective painful but, hey who wants to turn into Der Fuhrer especially when like me you live in Germany.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 06-Oct-14 11:13:00

I ordered a Whizzit after Ana said about it. The darn thing is waiting to go back. Batteries in, switch on - nothing.

Will try from another supplier once I've got my refund.

shysal Mon 06-Oct-14 12:20:37

I bought a Whizzit too, after an earlier thread. It doesn't hurt much, as it has a very narrow head, which only covers a small area at a time. It works OK, but I usually use tweezers, bright light and magnifying mirror every few days.

Ariadne Mon 06-Oct-14 12:23:49

I have a thing, which I thought was a Whizzit but it's just a tight, long spring with a handle at each end. No batteries, and incredibly cheap, and good! Think I mentioned it a couple of years ago. Will go and look on Amazon. Back in a minute...

Ariadne Mon 06-Oct-14 12:29:17

Epistick Epilator Facial Hair Removal tool

Didn't produce a link, so that's the best I can do. Costs £1.00 + P&P

Ariadne Mon 06-Oct-14 12:29:47

Ooh, am I advertising? blush

Ana Mon 06-Oct-14 12:32:53

No, you are merely recommending, Ariadne! grin

Those things always look to me as though they'd be very painful to use...

Ariadne Mon 06-Oct-14 12:54:31

They aren't! No more that tweezers, I think.

Marmight Mon 06-Oct-14 13:13:51

Some of the 'Edinburgh' grans were having a discussion on this very subject yesterday (after we had eaten I hasten to add)! Tweezers, epilators, waxing and laser treatment were mentioned. It's obviously a subject very close to our hearts chins grin

hildajenniJ Mon 06-Oct-14 13:58:03

Oh how I wish there was a permanent removal thingy for chin whiskers!!
I use the tweezers every few days, but i might try a Whizzit now that I've heard about it. THANKSsmile

Hotmama Mon 06-Oct-14 14:33:19

Oh thanks for that, just ordered a Whizzit for my beard and moustache! Was tempted by the advertisements for the NoNo but put off by the reviews. So nice to have a good recommendation from Gransnetters

Starling Mon 06-Oct-14 15:13:42

Is it wrong to use an ordinary electric shaver? (I'm asking for a friend....)

CherryCrumble Mon 06-Oct-14 15:33:33

Before anyone else says it, I admit I am odd in that I love tweezering my stubborn half dozen every few days! Its an ongoing battle between me and my chin hairs and I enjoy the feeling of getting one over on them when I manage to tweeze them out (they're stubborn and fine). They usually come back in the same places and its a game of cat and mouse ..........I like squeezing spots and blackheads too when I can find a willing volunteer but that's another story. I think this marvellous implement you're all talking about would spoil my fun. Yes I know, what a saddo .............!!

FlicketyB Mon 06-Oct-14 16:06:51

I have been having electrolysis since I was 40 (I am now 71). If I hadn't had it I would have, not just a few hairs, but a beard to rival DH's. It is the price I pay for a, still, luxuriant head of hair.

I have found it very effective, it does destroy the individual hairs, but there are an awful lot of hairs on ones face and as each one becomes coarse and bristly it needs treatment. For 20 of the 30 years I have been having treatment I have only needed three or four treatments a year. I had one last week and do not expect to need another one before Christmas.