Gransnet forums

Health

Bit of a setback

(121 Posts)
Mishap Mon 20-Oct-14 17:45:12

I have had a bit of a setback in my hip replacement recovery. I collapsed with fast atrial fibrillation and was taken by ambulance to A & E and then spent 24 hours in the coronary care unit while they sorted it out. They also feared that I had had a pulmonary embolism but thankfully the CT scan was clear. I am completely wiped out and have to start over again in getting my strength back. I am pretty fed up about it, and not a little scared - it was a very frightening experience.

ginggran Mon 20-Oct-14 17:54:46

flowers brew

Nonu Mon 20-Oct-14 17:58:12

I send you very good Karma MIS.
sunshine

janeainsworth Mon 20-Oct-14 18:01:09

Oh Mishap what a horrid shock for you. I think any hospital experience can leave you feeling vulnerable. I hope you're soon feeling stronger again.

ffinnochio Mon 20-Oct-14 18:04:41

So sorry to hear this, Mishap. Hope you regain confidence and strength soon. flowers

Charleygirl Mon 20-Oct-14 18:09:07

That is awful- I feel also for your poor husband as he must be so worried about you. Thqank goodness that PE has been ruled out.flowers

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 20-Oct-14 18:10:33

Oh poor Mishap! flowers

Onwards and upwards! cupcakewine

merlotgran Mon 20-Oct-14 18:17:45

My very best wishes, Mishap. Do take it easy and try not to let this setback upset you too much. Hope you soon start to feel better. flowers

TriciaF Mon 20-Oct-14 18:18:38

Sorry to hear about your new problem, Mishap.
I didn't mention it before, but I had a cardiac problem 2 months after my hip replacement. Had to have stents put in. I wondered whether the 2 were connected, but the doctors said no.
But it was dealt with and all over it now, so hoping you have the same good result.

Mamie Mon 20-Oct-14 18:27:07

A hug from across the channel. flowers

shysal Mon 20-Oct-14 18:34:41

flowers Take care of yourself, you will get there in the end!

granjura Mon 20-Oct-14 18:51:58

Ahhh you poor thing- thinking of you and take care. So positive that CT scan was clear- onwards and forwards flowers

rosequartz Mon 20-Oct-14 19:01:56

Thank goodness there was not a PE, take care and get well soon flowers

whenim64 Mon 20-Oct-14 19:02:37

Sorry to hear about your scary experience, Mishap. I hope you soon get over it. I had atrial fibrillation a few years ago when physically run down (nasty bout of flu) and under stress at work. An A and E visit, short hospital stay and then a few months of being careful, regular checkups and blood tests, and recovering physically after retiring (that got rid of the stress) and I was taken off the medication and discharged. OK since then, but it does shake you up. Take care flowers

pompa Mon 20-Oct-14 19:10:00

Poor Mishap, you sure are going through it. was this connected with the hip replacement or something extra ?

I wondered why you hadn't posted for a while. I do hope you recover quickly and get back on track getting your strength back.

Thinking of you flowers

Mishap Mon 20-Oct-14 19:23:57

whenim - at least you were put in medication after your AF. This is what is worrying me. The cardiologist is a bit gung-ho - we know this from his treatment of my OH - and he says just to take the anti-coagulant that I already have for post hip-op (which finishes in a week) and that is fine. I however am concerned that I have two risk factors now for embolism (hip surgery + a bout of AF) and that I am currently not as mobile as I should be at this stage post-op as I am weak as a kitten after this heart problem - and of course moving around is the best possible prevention for DVT.

I have to admit this is playing on my mind and causing me concern; I am trying to move about as much as possible, but I keep flaking out and breaking out on a sweat and having to sit down. It is all very worrying and frustrating. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be well again.

pompa Mon 20-Oct-14 19:30:05

It may take longer than you hope, but you WILL get there eventually, try to be positive, this is just a setback and you will be back to your old self very soon.

Lona Mon 20-Oct-14 19:30:19

Mishap I'm so sorry to hear about your setback, it must have been a nasty shock. I don't know what to suggest to make you feel better, really you need a second opinion about the treatment needed now.

Do try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know) but it can't help, and please try to rest as much as you can.
flowers

MiniMouse Mon 20-Oct-14 19:36:44

How frightning and disappointing for you Mishap. I'm so sorry to hear your news. Sending you best wishes flowers

Purpledaffodil Mon 20-Oct-14 19:44:12

flowers to you. Your post op posts have been so full of determination. Onwards and upwards!

whenim64 Mon 20-Oct-14 19:52:19

Might be worth asking your GP about coming off the anti-coagulant in view of your AF episode, Mishap.

thatbags Mon 20-Oct-14 20:12:14

Oh, mishap! What next? I do hope you have recovered from the shock of that horrible experience and are feeling a little better, though I can understand your feeling ded up. Who wouldn't? Good getting better and gaining strength wishes winging their way to you right now. flowers

thatbags Mon 20-Oct-14 20:12:40

fed not ded!

annodomini Mon 20-Oct-14 20:14:32

mishap, how very worrying for you. This kind of episode happened to a friend immediately following a cataract op, luckily while he was still in the hospital waiting to go home. This was about 6 months ago and he is fine, though still taking warfarin. I am sure you will get over this too, mishap, though you'll have to take your time. Your body has been through a lot, so take good care of yourself ((((hugs))))

Agus Mon 20-Oct-14 20:16:07

That was a terrifying experience for you Mishap but the fact that your scan didn't produce anything sinister is a very positive result and I hope you will be able to put this behind you and concentrate your energies into a slow, but steady recovery from your hip op.

I had a scare in February with a suspected TIA and a 24hr stay in coronary care. I have always had a low BP but it dropped to a dangerously low 40, scared the wits out of DH when he saw my face droop. My heartrate and BP rectified themselves but I won't forget the feeling of being out of control and vulnerable.

Have just read your recent post and if you are not happy with your present cardiologist, ask for a second opinion via your GP explaining your doubts.