Gransnet forums

Health

£55 for diagnosing dementia.

(74 Posts)
Galen Wed 22-Oct-14 13:09:36

Does anyone else agree with me that this is completely wrong?

Charleygirl Wed 22-Oct-14 13:13:05

I would say that it is unethical.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 13:15:20

I don't like it at all.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 13:19:06

Just make sure, whenever you go to see your doctor, to remember what you went for. Or you may never see the light of day again.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 13:21:27

(I know it's not a joking matter. blush)

Ana Wed 22-Oct-14 13:23:50

"Family doctors in England are to be paid £55 for each patient they diagnose with dementia, NHS bosses say.

NHS England said the aim of the six-month £5m scheme was to increase the number of sufferers who receive treatment for the condition, which causes a decline in brain function."

So they are in fact bribing GPs to diagnose more of their patients as suffering from dementia, i.e. they don't trust them to do the job they're paid for! confused

Galen Wed 22-Oct-14 13:25:20

I must confess to being extremely disturbed by this 'bribe'. If a gp is doing his/her job competently then he should be aware of the possibility of dementia in certain age groups and test appropriately

Tegan Wed 22-Oct-14 13:29:48

I'd often notice someone seemed to be having problems with their memory[confusion over appointments; forgetting that they'd asked for medication etc] and would mention it to the doctor who would, next time they saw them ask a few questions. More often than not they'd say the patient didn't have a problem; a few months down the line it would be obvious that there was something wrong. The questions were things like 'who is the prime minister'; not sure if that's changed now. Don't think I'll be going to see a doctor if I can help it or, if I do, I need to swot up on what the questions are....

Galen Wed 22-Oct-14 13:37:10

What's your DOB
Who is the present pm
Who is on the throne
Serial sevens
The shopping basket test
If I gave you a £5 for an item costing £1 75p how much change would I expect.

Liz46 Wed 22-Oct-14 13:40:35

It is just wrong. It should be part of the doctor's normal job.

My husband read a book, written by a gp, about the targets and monetary rewards. Does anyone think that the government is interfering too much and that setting targets is not right? I am sure there must be some medical people on here.

When I had a baby over forty years ago she was not too well. I was plating up the evening meal and the bell went. Our gp had called in on his way home to check she was o.k. I doubt this would happen now.

vegasmags Wed 22-Oct-14 14:08:42

I find this idea quite disturbing and I hope my GP rejects the whole notion. Facilities to help people with dementia seem thin on the ground as it is.

annsixty Wed 22-Oct-14 14:10:13

Our GP did not diagnose my DH's dementia and when I made an appointment after tests but before diagnosis he wasn't one bit interested and has never followed it up even after we received a diagnosis from a CPN working with a Psychiatrist. This was 10 months ago. I would have the strongest objection to him receiving £55.

Galen Wed 22-Oct-14 14:24:55

My mothers gp and a psychiatrist failed to diagnose my mothers dementia, even though I had diagnosed it. She was very good at concealing it from strangers but it was obvious to family that she was confabulating

sunseeker Wed 22-Oct-14 14:29:48

Listened to a radio phone in about this and one lady said before being diagnosed her mother was asked 4 irrelevant questions, one of which was who won the last Test!

We all get a bit forgetful sometimes - how many of us have gone upstairs to get something only to forget what it was when we get there!! I put this down to having too much to think about.

I know the answers to Galen's questions (except whatever serial sevens are) so think I am OK for now!

janerowena Wed 22-Oct-14 14:32:30

That's the experience many of my friends are going through, Galen. As one is having to fly back and forth from Oz and isn't exactly well-off, you can imagine the stress it is causing.

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 14:40:39

You would think the NHS would have learned from the fiasco when they set targets for putting patients in the Liverpool Care Pathway.

gillybob Wed 22-Oct-14 15:04:00

Totally shocking. What next £100 for cancer, £200 for MS etc.

There is something very wrong about a GP being paid a bonus for doing what they should be doing anyway.

BTW what are "serial sevens" Galen ?

Teetime Wed 22-Oct-14 15:06:37

As the GP on BBC news explained the way the NHS GP contract is structured there are separately listed payments for a number of conditions not just this one so its no different. The Quality Outcome Framework (QOF) has been in place for several years now and this is largely an incentive scheme to ensure GPs not only diagnose but register and monitor certain key conditions like Diabetes and heart conditions. It is said to have improved diagnosis, treatment and preventative strategies although its detractors would say it has been responsible for significantly increasing GP remumeration.

ninathenana Wed 22-Oct-14 15:08:10

From reading the TP forum on the Alzheimers society web site it would seem that several GPs are not capable of diagnosing dementia. I often read posts that complain about GPs lack of interest or expertise with a dementia diagnosis.
Members have struggled for months even years to get a referral from the GP because those with the problem can disguise it.
I was given the short memory test with my annual diabetes check up recently. This is the first time I been asked. If this is the start of my GPs initiative then I see a major flaw. Anyone who has had dealings with a person living with dementia knows that loss of short term memory is only a small part of the diagnosis.
I think testimony from the person having close contact is more relevant than anything that would happen in a short appointment at the surgery.
The financial incentive is wrong on many levels.

Ana Wed 22-Oct-14 15:13:10

Isn't 'serial sevens' just the seven times table?

rosequartz Wed 22-Oct-14 15:26:40

Jinglbells grin

I know that it is no laughing matter, but I do think this is an unethical way to get some GPs to take dementia more seriously.

DH and I were saying this morning that we are worried about going now in case we are diagnosed with dementia when it could just be a bit of old age forgetfulness.

4 irrelevant questions, one of which was who won the last Test!
What Test sunseeker?

Gagagran Wed 22-Oct-14 15:27:19

Serial sevens is when they ask you to count backwards from 100 in sevens.

rosequartz Wed 22-Oct-14 15:29:22

I know young people schooled in the 1970s and 1980s who would struggle with serial sevens. Learning times tables by rote was verboten at my DC's primary school; I moved them elsewhere.

Mishap Wed 22-Oct-14 15:29:58

It is seriously bonkers! Firstly, they are (or should be) doing this anyway - it is just part of their job; and secondly, just diagnosing dementia does not mean that the resources are there to treat it properly.

I find the whole concept very disturbing indeed. It is yet another example of this government thinking solely about money and not understanding the psychology of pride in one's job etc.

It really is complete nonsense - as if a GP is going to grab patients and run tests just because they might get £55!

MiceElf Wed 22-Oct-14 15:30:06

Oh my goodness. I have dementia. I've never been able to do that sad