Gransnet forums

Health

cancer

(113 Posts)
etheltbags1 Wed 03-Dec-14 09:13:21

Ive got a diagnosis of bowel cancer and Im waiting for further treatment.
Its worrying that this 'tumour' is probably sending cells all around my body until they decide to remove it, so Im thinking all sorts of stuff. One minute Im thinking lots of people get this and they are ok so I will be too , next minute 'Im thinking 'how long'.
Please would anyone with similar experiences, doesn't have to be bowel cancer, share their stories with me. Many thanks in advance.

Jane10 Wed 03-Dec-14 09:22:28

So sorry to hear that your fear has been realised. I hope the hospital staff were kind and helpful. I don't have personal history of bowel cancer but think it might be helpful to say that my Dad was diagnosed with this and, after treatment, made a full recovery. People do. You can. Stay strong. Its very frightening though and your mind can run wild with imaginings. Its the unknown. I hope that you can get as much help and support as you need from your GP and that the hospital staff jump to it in organising treatment asap. Don forget we`re all here waiting and watching and ready to be sounding boards or people you can let off steam to. You are not alone

whenim64 Wed 03-Dec-14 09:24:49

Good luck with your treatment, ethel. The tumour has been found and you're one of thousands of people who will be able to tell their own story of how they dealt with it and got on with their lives. Have you been told when your treatment is likely to start?

Soutra Wed 03-Dec-14 09:32:17

I am so sorry to hear you have had the results of your scan/tests but glad for you that the waiting is over. Have you been given a timescale for the next stage of your treatment? The important thing is to take each stage a step at a time- not to go down the road of "How long have I got?" But "how long will this course of treatment take and how best do I cope with it?"
Good luckflowers

shysal Wed 03-Dec-14 09:46:17

Etheltbags, you have stated that you had symptoms for a while. Would you feel strong enough to outline them on here in case any Gransnetter reading this is experiencing anything similar? If it helps even one person seek earlier diagnosis you will have done them a service.

I hope you are soon seen again for treatment. I would add that I know people who have come through bowel cancer, the success rate is excellent these days.

I hope you are able to take Soutra's wise advice. flowers

Pollaidh Wed 03-Dec-14 10:12:57

Hi Etheltbags
I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I recognise the disempowering swing of responses - one minute confident, the next in despair. But I hoped it might help if I tell you that my husband was diagnosed with bowel cancer 7 years ago, had treatment and now you would never know (unless you undressed him and saw the tummy scar smile
I think the waiting is always the hardest part - but lots of people are thinking about you flowers
Take care....

etheltbags1 Wed 03-Dec-14 10:18:27

Well its a bit embarrassing but I had dhiaroea (can never spell that bloody word), I had it for about 2 years intermittently, maybe once a week or so but recently every morning as soon as I awoke or had a cuppa I would have to run. I convinced myself I had a food intolerance and blamed eating all sorts of foods. I decided that I would wait until the bowel screening and if that came back ok I would definitely have a food allergy. I realise I was just putting off the day when I would have to face that something was wrong. I was so terrified of having a camera up my behind that I waited so long. Also I found that the running to the loo always eased off by mid morning so nothing could be wrong could it?.

I was so wrong but its too late now and I must face the consequences. So if anyone has similar symptoms go and have it checked out, there are many other things that could cause it but if you have the cancer checked out then you can concentrate on other things like food allergies.
Hope this helps or reassures others.

etheltbags1 Wed 03-Dec-14 10:21:23

can I just add to my last message that I never have passed blood at anytime and that's the one they ask you to look for that's another reason I thought I was ok.

Mishap Wed 03-Dec-14 10:27:38

Take it one step at a time. Take courage from the fact that the tumour has been found and treatment can start; and that this is very successful these days. My friend had her surgery so long ago I cannot even remember when it was - and believe me she leads her life to the full - she makes me feel quite exhausted watching her!

It is a hard time for you and the waiting for surgery is stressful. Do talk to those in the know (see websites suggested on another thread) and get reassurances. The staff know you will be scared and will be well used to supporting people who are going through this.

It is good that we live on the 21st century and there are efficient treatments available.

We are all here - do not forget that.

GillT57 Wed 03-Dec-14 10:40:39

Good morning ethelbags sorry to hear about your diagnosis and I hope that the treatment gets started soon so that you can get it sorted and get on with your life. As many have said, the detection and recovery from bowel cancer has dramatically improved over the years. You could always try contacting MacMillan who are very skilled in helping people after a cancer diagnosis, they should be able to reassure you and perhaps explain some of the procedures better than surgical teams can, it can be overwhelming when you are in the hospital situation. Your symptoms sound just like those of someone with food intolerances so dont blame yourself for leaving it so long to see your GP. And importantly, we are all here and will help as best as we can. flowers

Mishap Wed 03-Dec-14 10:43:26

I admire your courage in admitting that you should have seen the doc before - this could make a huge difference to someone else's life, so well done you.

Stansgran Wed 03-Dec-14 10:49:52

flowers you don't necessarily see blood in faeces. I think it's called occult blood. If you can see it it tends to be piles but don't take my word for it.

Gagagran Wed 03-Dec-14 11:01:21

Ethel another story of successful treatment to cheer you. When my Dad was 63 he was rushed into hospital with a "blockage" and had to have a colostomy as they removed a section of his bowel with a massive tumour.

12 months later he had another operation to re-connect the ends and his "plumbing", as he referred to it went back to normal. He lived to 93 despite in later years getting prostate cancer which was dealt with by radiotherapy.

Keep positive. The NHS works wonders and there is no reason it won't for you. flowers sunshine

KatyK Wed 03-Dec-14 11:21:29

Ethel flowers My DH was diagnosed with prostate cancer earlier this year. He wanted his prostate removed so that it was well and truly out of his body. This was not possible however. He is coming to the end of his 37 consecutive days of radiotherapy. He has had very few side effects and will have a blood test in February to see if it has worked. When he was first diagnosed, he felt as you do. Has it spread, is it creeping around my body? Several scans showed that it had not spread. It is a terrible thing to hear that you or someone close to you has cancer. However treatment these days can be very successful. I know someone who had bowel cancer which then went to her liver. She is fine now. I hope all goes well for you.

Ariadne Wed 03-Dec-14 11:40:30

Good morning ethel and sorry to hear your news. I am now over ten years out of breast cancer - chemo, radiotherapy, the lot. It was not an easy journey, but, as everyone else is saying, one day at a time.

My breast care nurse was wonderful, and when I was worrying about all the "what ifs" her response was "If it happens, we'll deal with it!" Simple but oddly comforting. They will deal with everything as and when, so concentrate on now. As I said, not easy but keep as positive as you can.

harrigran Wed 03-Dec-14 11:53:12

I believe the Queen Mother had an operation, for the same kind of thing, and lived another forty years. All these people on GN will be holding your hand and willing you better smile

Pollaidh Wed 03-Dec-14 14:33:31

Besides blood (which is really hard to see anyway), the other major sign of bowel cancer is any change in bowel habits that lasts for more than 3 weeks. But there can be many reasons for that.
Don't blame yourself Ethel for not going to the doctor sooner - I would have been the same! But it's great that you did seek help and that you can take heart from the very many positive stories on this forum. BC is one of the most curable cancers around, if caught early enough. So bear up - and let us know how you get on. smile

daffydil Wed 03-Dec-14 15:08:55

Hallo ethel. Altough I have no experience of bowel cancel, I had breast cancer 19 years ago so I do understand your feelings following the diagnosis. I found that once the treatment started it was easier to cope with than the waiting. The consultant said to me "I know you just want this thing out but be patient while we organise the best treatment for you and you wil feel better".
My neighbour, however, has had bowel cancer and five years on is fine.All your friends on gransnet will be with you and keen to follow your progress. Some times it is easier to talk to friends than family. My own family were wonderfully supportive but I tried not to burden them too much with my own fears. Good luck.

gillybob Wed 03-Dec-14 15:42:43

Sending you a pm etheltbags. Exactly harrigran.

flowers

Lona Wed 03-Dec-14 15:52:38

etheltbags1 I'm sorry that you've had this bad news. I have no experience to help you, but lots of positive reponses on here.
Take each day as it comes and the very best of luck.

merlotgran Wed 03-Dec-14 16:13:43

I've just come in and seen this thread, ethelbags. I can't add anything to the above advice and support but wish you all the best with your treatment.

As others have said, Take each day as it comes. smile

TriciaF Wed 03-Dec-14 16:31:33

Wishing you well, Ethel. You were brave to face up to your worries, and I admire your attitude.
Bowel cancer, I think, is one of the cancers with the best prognosis.
Bon Courage.

Nonnie Wed 03-Dec-14 16:41:06

I have two friends who have gone through this in the last couple of years, one found from the routine test and one who had symptoms. I have also heard a lot about a friend of one of them who also had symptoms. They are all three well now despite one of them having to have a second operation.

DH has just done the routine test and has been sent another one to do as his was doubtful so have a small idea of what you must be feeling. At the moment trying to keep his mind off it.

Big virtual hug.

whitewave Wed 03-Dec-14 16:41:58

ethel After I was diagnosed with breast cancer I had exactly the same reaction as you - terrified that a loose cell would find its way into my body. That was 11 years ago.

But I found that this was the worse time between diagnosis and treatment. Once treatment started I felt less panicked.

grannyactivist Wed 03-Dec-14 16:45:09

etheltbags I'm so glad that you shared this on Gransnet for a couple of reasons. Firstly I hope you've been encouraged by the strength of encouragement and support from G'netters, but also it's a bit of a reminder that we do need to take action ourselves when we think something isn't right. You've been really honest about how you ignored your own symptoms and posting about that may well cause someone else to go and seek help a bit sooner than they may have done otherwise. So thanks for sharing. I hope you are cheered by news of so many people recovering from cancer and reassured that whatever comes next there'll be someone here to 'hold your hand' or give you a virtual (((hug))) when you need a bit of support. tchsmile