Gransnet forums

Health

Still tired......

(36 Posts)
Katek Wed 28-Jan-15 10:05:51

I've still not got my energy levels back since my nasty chest infection/asthma attack a couple of weeks ago and also have a residual cough. I'm trying very hard to get on with things but I could easily sleep once I've had breakfast. it's not so bad as the day goes on but I'm not a very patient person and feel I should be a lot more energetic by now. I'm being unrealistic aren't I? I don't like it when I don't recover quickly... I'm always concerned there's something sinister going on. I know logically that there isn't but can get a bit paranoid sometimes! ( I blame my hypochondriac mother)

Mishap Wed 28-Jan-15 10:19:37

There is often a long period of malaise after these sort of bugs and just as you begin to despair of getting better you suddenly perk up.

Ariadne Wed 28-Jan-15 10:25:00

Oh, I do understand, Katek! I know, after all the operations recently, and before, that I am always unrealistic about recovery time, and get frustrated.

One of my very DDsiL is a former nurse turned science teacher, and she is very good at reminding me how long it takes "it is only two months.." And I think it's the same with these Nast bugs - all your body's energy is diverted to where it is most needed, so no wonder we get tired more quickly.

Just rest, and listen to your body! (mine has always been quick to suggest a little lie down anyway...)

petallus Wed 28-Jan-15 10:48:25

A friend is going through exactly the same thing. Falls asleep during the day and doesn't have the energy or inclination to do much and it's weeks since she had the chest infection.

soontobe Wed 28-Jan-15 10:58:02

I dont know what gransnetters think of tonics [I am not talking the gin and tonic sort!].

Some people I know use metatone. It can be bought from Boots.
I have used it occasionally. The only drawback I have with it is that my dreams become quite vivid, so I use the tonic sparingly.

GillT57 Wed 28-Jan-15 11:27:27

DH is the same, had a terrible chest infection with ghastly cough. Although he is nearly better, he still falls asleep as soon as he sits down. I have bought some floradix tablets for him, now to convince him to take them......

Teetime Wed 28-Jan-15 11:36:27

I'm sorry you are feeling low after your recent illness Katekbut recovery takes as long as it needs to and this can be frustrating but the body knows when it needs rest and that's what its saying to you. As for tonics as a clinician I have to say there is no such thing really but sometimes a multivitamin and in winter high dose Vit C daily can restore the balance, won't do you any harm and you will excrete what you don't need. This is the worst end of the year and a bit of self care and self pampering wont go amiss. Eat what you fancy but try to get some fruit and veg in, drink enough to keep your urine straw coloured and take a little exercise if you can. best wishes for s peedy recovery and an early spring. flowers

Greyduster Wed 28-Jan-15 12:15:03

I have had the same thing as you since Boxing Day and know how you feel. Just as I think it's getting better, it comes back. My energy levels go up and down like a yo-yo. X-Ray last week, blood test tommorrow (if we aren't snowed in!).

merlotgran Wed 28-Jan-15 12:16:28

Glad I'm not the only one who is falling asleep at the drop of a hat. I've nearly managed to shake off the cough but my energy levels have never been so low.

The weather doesn't help either.....Roll on summer sunshine

Falconbird Wed 28-Jan-15 12:22:57

These bugs are really tiring. I just managed to throw off one cold and then caught another one while babysitting little grandson.

I tried Metatone but I think it upset my stomach although it could have been something else I'd eaten. Going to try it again.

Katek - I know how you feel - my mum was just the same and always feared the worst. I try to be sensible but her attitudes have rubbed off on me.

She lived to 90 so all her fears were unfounded.

annodomini Wed 28-Jan-15 12:51:19

I'm sleepy too, and it doesn't help that I cough a lot during the night when I normally sleep very well. At this moment I am surfing Gransnet to ward off the pre-lunch drowsiness. I seem to have been under the weather since the beginning of November when I had a sinus infection that was difficult to get rid of; then in January I caught this flu-type virus the week before I was due to go on a city break in Rome with DS2. I more or less talked myself into feeling better by the time we took off and we had a wonderful time in Rome, sightseeing in fantastic weather. I must have been operating on adrenalin because I sagged completely when I got home and have been coughing ever since. I am not alone: our local Waitrose had almost run out of cough mixtures this morning!

annodomini Wed 28-Jan-15 12:51:19

I'm sleepy too, and it doesn't help that I cough a lot during the night when I normally sleep very well. At this moment I am surfing Gransnet to ward off the pre-lunch drowsiness. I seem to have been under the weather since the beginning of November when I had a sinus infection that was difficult to get rid of; then in January I caught this flu-type virus the week before I was due to go on a city break in Rome with DS2. I more or less talked myself into feeling better by the time we took off and we had a wonderful time in Rome, sightseeing in fantastic weather. I must have been operating on adrenalin because I sagged completely when I got home and have been coughing ever since. I am not alone: our local Waitrose had almost run out of cough mixtures this morning!

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 13:05:00

This flu-type bug is awful, it has knocked both my DS and my DD for six, both usually very fit and active, so not surprised that several of you suffering still. DD had it just after Christmas and is only just about better so clearly takes weeks to get over.
The cough seems to drag on forever.... Both ended up on antibiotics and my GP said the practice had never had so many suffering from a cough but no obvious chest infection or a secondary chest infection following the so-called 'flu (apparently it's a different strain to the vaccine hmm)
Do take care and indulge yourselves, at least the weather's conducive to curling up under a blanket, little else you can do ((hugs)) and flowers to you all.

Katek Wed 28-Jan-15 14:25:03

Thank you for good wishes... I'm sorry to hear that there are so many of us with this illness. The world seems to be suffering from it-DH says the office was like a doctor's waiting room last week. I keep thinking I'm better than I actually am, so went for coffee with friends yesterday afternoon, got out of breath walking the 100yards to the cafe and by the time I finished my carrot cake I just wanted to go home! I'm meant to be at dentist for hygienist appt tomorrow, I may cancel.

Falconbird, unfortunately my mother was the architect of her own demise, a medical encyclopaedia was her bible!

ffinnochio Wed 28-Jan-15 14:41:43

Wishing you all a speedy recovery from this sneaky bug. Mr. F and I have had it, in various forms, for the best part of a month now. I've had the meanest head cold I've ever know, a sinus infection, and conjunctivitis all laced with a cough. Mr. F with fever and bronchial problems. Both exhausted. We are getting better, but think this bug needs to be given the respect it deserves in not rushing the drive to health.
Take care everyone. It will take as long as it takes.

janerowena Wed 28-Jan-15 14:47:41

Me too, Katek. It struck me on Boxing day and really it was only last week that I started to feel normal, and could face doing some proper cleaning. It really wiped me out - and I am still coughing at night-time, as is DBH who has been coughing since November, so we do have disturbed nights. My nose has only just stopped running, the sneezing has been continuous since New Year. It's very wearing.

rubylady Wed 28-Jan-15 14:55:16

I've been the same since I gave up smoking in October, chest infections, ear problems, nasal drip, tight chest, breathlessness, cough. So if I've felt tired, I sleep. I listen to my body and work with it now. I'm treating it to a long weekend away this weekend, lots of rest, room overlooking the sea, take my book, good food and my doggie for company and a friend dropping in to see me. Time off for recouping. Lovely. grin

annodomini Wed 28-Jan-15 15:24:18

My friend in the USA went down with this mutant flu at exactly the same time as I did, so it is truly international. My GP said it was the reason for all the queues at A&E recently, though the media seemed reluctant to make the connection.

loopylou Wed 28-Jan-15 15:26:42

Have a lovely restful 'me time' weekend rubylady, you deserve it x

ffinnochio Wed 28-Jan-15 15:46:41

That's interesting anno. The pharmacist I use calls it 'the English disease' as apparently all those turning up with tales of woe about this mutant 'flu have blamed it on their Christmas guests from the UK! hmm I dunno - but rest is definitely the best medicine.

Tegan Wed 28-Jan-15 16:40:29

I'm a great believer in chicken soup with lots of garlic in it.

rubylady Thu 29-Jan-15 01:07:00

Thanks loopylou I don't mean to blow my own but I am in need of some time off. My son again went to his girlfriend's for tea. Been going out with her about 6 weeks now and has been to hers a few times for tea, her dad has picked them up when out. I haven't even met the girl. He says I am an embarrassment to him. So I need some time away as he hurts too much sometimes and I don't think I am an embarrassment at all. It erodes my confidence for him to talk to me like this. I've had three days of not speaking to anyone even though he lives with me. So thank you for you all being on here, I'd go crazy if I didn't have you to chat to. smile

amarmai Thu 29-Jan-15 01:21:48

yes to high doses of vit C + lycine and also vit D helps as we don't get enuf from the sun in the winter.

absent Thu 29-Jan-15 03:27:44

I had a foul chest infection over Christmas and have eaten my antibiotics and steroids but am still wheezy and coughing. I am going to try the gin and tonic. If it doesn't help, at least I'll fall asleep.

loopylou Thu 29-Jan-15 06:17:27

His behaviour is cruel Rubylady, and I really feel for you. flowers x