Gransnet forums

Health

Hats to cover hair loss

(16 Posts)
NanKate Thu 29-Jan-15 20:10:52

My DinL's mum is about to start chemo and she has been told to expect hair loss. She is worried that our grandsons 2 and 4 will be shocked at her appearance so she is buying a selection of hats to wear.

I said I would also get one of these hats so that the boys would think it is a fashion statement for grans.

Can anyone recommend any hats that have been successful for them ?

tanith Thu 29-Jan-15 20:40:41

I've seen lots of lady chemo patients who wear a colourful scarf wound tightly around their heads..they looked very trendy.,.

Ariadne Thu 29-Jan-15 20:42:41

I had all sorts, including a wig, which was very hot and uncomfortable but did look good. (Also great for going out in cold windy weather!)

My favourites were a collection of "Georgie Girl" type hats. But bandannas etc are OK.

DGS1 was three when I was having chemo, and I was worried in case he met me on the landing without a head covering, so I faced up to it. Wearing my wig, it told him about the medicine and so on, then took my wig off to show him. He looked at me in amazement then said, in awestruck tones:

"Nannie, how did you do that"

Ana Thu 29-Jan-15 20:46:53

I do think the turban-type pull-on hats are best for indoor use and can look very stylish. Scarf-tying can be such a faff...grin

Ariadne Fri 30-Jan-15 10:11:42

Yes, I agree, Ana - I always felt like a land girl, or someone from a munitions factory in the scarves.

(When I was a child, lots of women wore scarves knotted as turbans during the day, but I think it might have been to hide the curlers)

Nelliemoser Fri 30-Jan-15 10:26:09

I'd go with Ariadne's idea. I think that your Dil's mum could get her grandkids used to the idea quite carefully, if she did not want to be stuck in a hat or wig all the time.

Lona Fri 30-Jan-15 10:48:24

My best friend who has had cancer twice, only wore her wig when it was really cold, and the rest of the time was just bald.
Any children that she talked to or came into contact with (at the shops/ coffee bars etc) didn't bat an eyelid, they accepted it as just different but normal, IYSWIM.

TriciaF Fri 30-Jan-15 11:14:20

Snoods are another alternative. You can get some pretty crocheted ones.
And maybe with a false fringe at the front.

ninathenana Fri 30-Jan-15 15:18:04

I just googled "chemo cover ups" and there are various sites and ideas that come up. I was going to link to what seemed the best but then realised it was American

NanKate Fri 30-Jan-15 16:52:55

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice. flowers

Tegan Fri 30-Jan-15 17:11:45

Where can you get false fringes from? I need one cause it's at the front that my hair is thinning realy badly [have a friend with the same problem although hers is due to alopecia, mine is just my genes].

Ana Fri 30-Jan-15 17:17:37

Lots on ebay

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251786220383?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I think Debenhams sell them too.

Ana Fri 30-Jan-15 17:19:48

Yes, they do!

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_157111909199?CMP=SSH&tmcampid=28&tmad=c&sku=6805298&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=6805298&gclid=CIjoiNucvMMCFSfItAodgAQAHw&gclsrc=aw.ds

KatyK Fri 30-Jan-15 18:48:33

Tegan - There is a company called Hot Hair which sells clip in fringes, extensions etc. They have a website but I also believe they have shops around the country and their products are also sold in places such as House of Fraser and Selfridges as well as Debenhams as mentioned above, if you wanted to see them 'in the flesh' and try them out.

Tegan Fri 30-Jan-15 19:07:25

Y'know, last year I spent hours on the internet and couldn't find what I was looking for. It seems that a combination of the Duchess of Cambridge and Kim Kardashian having fringes has made false fringes cool. Even Top Shop seem to be selling them [probably not in grey, though]. I even grew out all the low lights in my hair so I could get a white/grey hairpiece. I'm tempted to go into town tomorrow. The wig shop I went to before Christmas only had full wigs.

KatyK Fri 30-Jan-15 19:11:53

Worth a look maybe. I have seen the girls from hot hair helping people choose in a department store.