Gransnet forums

Health

Bath or shower - how often ?

(224 Posts)
NanKate Thu 26-Feb-15 20:17:00

I shower every day but I suspect it is not too good for my dry skin.

tanith Thu 26-Feb-15 20:19:52

At least once sometimes twice a day.. I use a decent moisturising shower gel which leaves my skin soft and healthy looking..

loopylou Thu 26-Feb-15 20:23:06

Me too and I slap on a body moisturiser when I remember.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Feb-15 20:24:16

I was wondering this morning if I actually needed a bath. But then I thought, the area under my boobs felt sweaty. I'm very fast with it though.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Feb-15 20:24:41

I'm sorry if that was too much information.

hildajenniJ Thu 26-Feb-15 20:25:26

I shower daily but it is really to wash my hair. I keep it short, and need to wash it in the mornings as I have terrible bed hair when I get up. I'd rather not shower every day though. Since the menopause, I have developed very dry skin with patches of eczema which I have never had before. I use lots of moisturiser and hydromol ointment but it never gets any better.

tanith Thu 26-Feb-15 20:27:22

hildajennij can you not just wash your short hair in the basin?

Ana Thu 26-Feb-15 20:28:44

Two or three times a week. I don't feel the need to shower/bathe any more often.

I do wash my hair every day though!

granjura Thu 26-Feb-15 20:31:15

Quick shower every morning- never feel awake until I do. Used to do hair every day, but now I wash hair every 3 days or so.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Feb-15 20:34:03

I get that hildajenni - on my legs. I use some cream in a big white pump thing. Which I can never remember the name of.

Marelli Thu 26-Feb-15 21:09:10

Is it Diprobase, jingl? I have to moisturise arms a couple of times a day, as the skin, especially on the upper arms is really dry , though I use any moisturiser for this. I use Dibrobase at night on my face.
I prefer a bath to a shower and bathe in the morning on one day and in the evening on the next. I use Oilatum (on prescription) in my bath. I think if I bathed or showered more than that my skin would act up.

Pittcity Thu 26-Feb-15 21:10:22

Daily morning shower. I always feel disgusting if I don't. Don't really like baths.

Ana Thu 26-Feb-15 21:22:45

Disgusting? Sorry, but unless you do a lot of heavy work or exercise I can't understand why a daily dousing is deemed necessary.

Each to their own, of course! smile

tanith Thu 26-Feb-15 21:34:15

For myself its a habit to shower every morning as essential as cleaning my teeth not everyone feels that need, in fact my OH showers maybe 3/4 time a week, on the other days just has an all over wash in the mornings he's perfectly happy with that. Everyone is different.

yogagran Thu 26-Feb-15 21:36:44

Like granjura I only feel properly awake and ready for the day when I've showered

Ana Thu 26-Feb-15 21:38:14

Yes, I remember we had a thread on this subject a while ago and I was certainly not the only GNetter who didn't shower/bathe daily!

Ana Thu 26-Feb-15 21:41:23

Perhaps they've all cleaned up their act since then grin

janerowena Thu 26-Feb-15 21:43:44

grin I haven't! I have a bath roughly every other day. I prefer it to showers, but then feel guilty about how much water it uses, so hence not every day. I like it for the relaxation as much as anything. In the summer I tend to have showers on the days in between, especially if I have been working in the garden.

Pittcity Thu 26-Feb-15 21:46:36

It's all in my head, Ana. I have been showering daily for so long that my body and brain have come to expect it and I have withdrawal symptoms.
DH is completely different and bathes twice a week, hardly wetting the soap on other days. He always smells OK !

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Feb-15 21:50:14

No Marelli. It's not that. I think it might be called Ultrabase. It's upstairs so I can't look.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Feb-15 21:55:29

yes. Ultrabase

Marelli Thu 26-Feb-15 22:02:05

Much the same idea, probably, jingl. Hate the smell of Diprobase, but it does work well.

Lona Thu 26-Feb-15 22:18:11

I'm here Ana! grin
I shower two or three times a week too.
Good wash on the other days though, pits and bits.

merlotgran Thu 26-Feb-15 22:25:29

I shower every other day in winter and wash my hair twice a week.

We work outside a lot in the summer so I shower when I feel I need to which might be every day.

I used to love a relaxing bath on a Sunday evening then watch TV in my PJs but I find it difficult to get out now thanks to my dodgy knees.

Agus Thu 26-Feb-15 22:27:53

Shower twice a week, bath sometimes mid-week, bidet and underarm wash on other days.

I also soak my feet in a basin with warm water and some porridge to soften my feet when I feel they need it.