Gransnet forums

Health

Do you sleep well? They say we need less sleep as we become older.

(79 Posts)
Falconbird Wed 25-Mar-15 18:46:55

I just wondered if Gransnetters feel they need more or less sleep these days.
If you sleep well, do you have any advice on getting a good night's rest.

whitewave Wed 25-Mar-15 18:54:44

I generally sleep like a log for about 9 hours with getting up to the dratted loo 2 or even 3 times a night depending on how much I drink during the evening. Saying that I do get the odd sleepless night but now that I am retired it doesn't bother me as I can if I wish sleep on - in fact I never do - I think the secret is not to get in a lather about not sleeping, and I know it sounds boring but a sort of winding down routine seems to send the right message to your brain.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 19:33:14

I need, and usually get, my 9 hours. World Service on earphones sends me off when I wake up too early.

aggie Wed 25-Mar-15 19:37:18

If I go to bed early I conk out like a light for 4or 5 hours then waken and can't get back , then when it is time to get up I am sound asleep ! If I stay up late at least I get up when I waken after the 4, 5 or 6 hours . Like other ladies I have to go to the loo in the night , I have been told on no account to cut down on liquids except for tea and coffee after 6 pm

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 19:39:44

Does that mean wine is OK then? grin

tanith Wed 25-Mar-15 19:43:28

I normally get a good 7/8 hrs, just occasionally I wake in the early hours and then can't get back to sleep , I don't stress I get up and make warm drink and read till I feel sleepy again.. happily I don't need the loo in the night.
I think the secret is not to worry about it as it just makes things worse.

janeainsworth Wed 25-Mar-15 19:50:52

The secret for me is to go to bed at more or less the same time - 11 to 11.15, read for 20 - 30 minutes(something not too challenging) and usually I fall asleep quite quickly and wake up around 7. Usually but not always repairing a trip to the loo.
I have the occasional sleepless night but no longer worry as I don't have to go to work.
I think it helps to not have too much alcohol, and not to eat too late too. I try to avoid being on the computer after about 8.30 too.

janeainsworth Wed 25-Mar-15 19:51:19

Requiring

aggie Wed 25-Mar-15 19:56:00

Alas I am tee total and know not the joys of the vine envy I do drink water , and have a glass of tap stuff here at the moment

aggie Wed 25-Mar-15 19:57:29

I have read that screens ......... puter tablets phone kindle....... are not a good idea if you want to get to sleep , so back to the paperbacks

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 20:06:15

I find the opposite. If I stay on my 'puter until I'm practically dropping with exhaustion, I get to sleep quickly and sleep for the nine hours.

chloe1984 Wed 25-Mar-15 20:19:53

I use my iPod to listen to an audio book until I drop off to sleep, unfortunately only sleep for a couple of hours so I then have to start the whole process again usually manage about 6 hours a night. Am used to it now and am reconciled to the fact that I never seem to get the sleep that I think I need.

loopylou Wed 25-Mar-15 20:20:54

9 hours......I wish hmm
I need 9 but rarely get 6 or 7......

whitewave Wed 25-Mar-15 21:35:05

I am just off now - so scrub teeth quick wipe around with flannel - night cream on face - in the hope it will make me beautiful - flop into bed and read - tonight it is the Kashmer (spelling) Shawl usually manage a couple of pages before turning off the light.

If you aren't suffering from night sweats sometimes a low heated blanket is very pleasant.

Good night all, sleep tight, mind the bugs don't bite

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 21:37:40

grin

Night night whitewave.

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 21:44:17

If I went to bed now I'd either a) not be able to get to sleep until about 4 a.m. or b) go to sleep but wake at 4 a.m.

I'm always amazed at how many early-morning posts there are on here (I'm talking about those 6 and 7 a.m. bright and breezy posts...)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 21:48:41

Too early for me. If I started reading I would be asleep in twenty minutes, and then probably wake up at one am.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 21:50:15

I like to stay in bed until at least 8.30. Sometimes 9 o'clock. shock

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 21:55:05

That early...? wink

merlotgran Wed 25-Mar-15 21:56:59

Our bedroom is east facing and we put up a blind as well as curtains in the summer or I'd be awake at 5am. DH can sleep through anything!

The dawn chorus - when it starts - always wakes me early but I don't mind lying there, snoozing and remembering how awful it used to be waking up too early when I had to go to work.

I normally get a good 8hrs sleep without needing the loo but when the dogs wake us up at 7am I'm on a mission!!

I remember my aunt saying, 'When you're old like me, dear, you'll go to bed early, wake up early and have all the housework done by 6 o'clock.'

I also remember thinking, Shoot me now. grin

Leticia Wed 25-Mar-15 22:07:57

I find that I need a lot less - it always seems a waste of time.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Mar-15 22:09:48

Crikey!

Lona Wed 25-Mar-15 22:16:49

I go to bed about eleven and watch TV for about an hour before going straight to sleep.
I often wake before five but I can't usually get back to sleep.
Get up between seven and eight. I don't like to stay in bed in the morning and I never sleep during the day.

Ana Wed 25-Mar-15 22:22:31

No, me neither! That would signify the beginning of the end for me...hmm

(Sorry, I know some swear by a daytime snooze, but it's not for me)

NotTooOld Wed 25-Mar-15 22:24:00

Like someone above I rely on the good old World Service on headphone to lull me back to sleep if I wake early. It always annoys me that they don't say the time until 5am. Is it because of different time zones or what?