Gransnet forums

Health

flex cystoscopy

(9 Posts)
EllenMay Mon 30-Mar-15 09:37:19

I am due to have a flex cystoscopy tomorrow and am slightly nervous. Any reassurances or advice would be welcome.

pompa Mon 30-Mar-15 09:44:54

I had a rigid cystoscopy many years ago, nothing to worry about. Bit uncomfortable afterwards but nothing much.

EllenMay Mon 30-Mar-15 10:03:35

Thanks pompa. The information from the hospital is that it may be uncomfortable but it's good to get some reassurance from someone who has been through it.

Teetime Mon 30-Mar-15 10:05:05

I took my daughter to have one when she was 16. She was a bit uncomfortable afterwards but mainly due to her problem rather than the procedure. Good Luck with it- it will soon be over. flowers

harrigran Mon 30-Mar-15 13:10:19

DS had one a few months ago and he said it was ok, no problem.

Greyduster Mon 30-Mar-15 22:25:10

I had one late last year. There was a momentary discomfort as the camera went in, but nothing horrendous and once in it doesn't take long. You might even get to watch it all on tele! Just try and relax as much as you can. You'll feel a bit uncomfortable afterward for a while, but it's not bad and soon passes. Good luck with it.

EllenMay Tue 31-Mar-15 12:04:55

Thanks for your encouraging comments - they helped with the anxiety levels.
I had the test this morning and although uncomfortable, it was bearable. Staff were marvellous and very kind. I now have to have further tests but I believe these are non intrusive. It's all a bit of a pain but thank goodness for the NHS and our access to free medical treatment.

Flowerofthewest Sat 18-Apr-15 13:48:34

Oh was just going to answer your question EllenMay. I have had to have one (firstly six monthly) 12 monthly and for the past 4 years. I found that a diazepam taken an hour or two before maybe a painkiller helps. I just feel like I'm about to wee but thats the only discomfort.

After my 3rd cystoscopy which was performed (and it was a performance) by a trainee (he tried three times and three times released the saline all over the couch) the Dr showed him exactly where to put it. (They were both peering at my bits and discussing which was my urethra) While I was getting my undies on the Dr said to the young guy "The next one will be easier, its a man and we can put much more pain killer cream on as too much makes the ladies a little incontinent", I looked around the curtain and said "Damn the incontinence, put more cream on and hand me a Tena pad."

Honestly though the team are great and I have another 6 years of these. Glad it want Ok for you.

Nansypansy Sat 25-Apr-15 06:35:37

I have to have these every 6 months. They started off under anaesthetic but then in the clinic. They're more bearable than the horrible 'maintenance' treatment - BCG immunotherapy - I have to have for 3 consecutive months after a 3 month break.