Gransnet forums

Health

Naproxen.

(39 Posts)
Marelli Tue 31-Mar-15 14:57:10

Have been prescribed Naproxen for joint pain. It's working, and, where beforehand, I was finding walking long distances (DH and I enjoy this) was becoming impossible because of the pain in knees, ankles etc, I can now do this without much of a problem. However, are antiinflammatories not supposed to cause other problems? Does anyone else use these on a regular basis?

Tegan Tue 31-Mar-15 15:21:09

Have you been prescribed omeprazole with it?

Soutra Tue 31-Mar-15 15:28:26

I take Naproxen along with Omeprazole. I only take half the recommended dose, as and when, never on an empty stomach and take it at night as I can have difficulty sleeping because of hip and knee pain. With care, you might be fine.

janerowena Tue 31-Mar-15 15:48:39

Yes, do be careful, I punched a hole through my stomach. I was on the maximum dosage. I took it from the age of forty for arthritis, and it is wonderful, but one day I thought I was having a heart attack. Ulcers and liver damage - which is fine. I took Omeprazole until my liver was fine again. My movements are severely limited now during the winter, and I put on loads of weight. I'm still trying to work out whether I should be permanently on medication or whether I can manage as I am, but the arthritis is not only in my hips (which they won't replace until I am 60) but in my hands and feet and starting to be in my knees. I think I shall carry on just taking the odd ibuprofen or two on particularly busy days for as long as I can.

I think it was partly my own fault, you are meant to take it after food. I was finding it hard to sleep at night, to get comfortable, so I used to take it with just a glass of milk before bed. I don't think milk was enough to coat my stomach properly. However, it did take a whole ten years for me to get to that state.

aggie Tue 31-Mar-15 16:00:10

I ended up anaemic due to intestinal or stomach bleeding , I went to Doctor with breathlessness and he thought I was in heart failure . Blood tests showed what was up and I had the usual scopes up and down . I was not offered any other meds , just iron tablets and Paracetamol . I can walk acout 100 yards before I have to sit down .Seems I have bursitis giving hip and back pain , but I wish I had been warned about the effects of Naproxin , it really helped the pain but I would have needed the stomach meds when taking it

tanith Tue 31-Mar-15 16:03:51

I've been taking Naproxen for over 10yrs on the maximum dose and I couldn't function without it.. I have multi-joint Osteo-Arthritis with so far one hip- replacement. I would be in constant pain and have very restricted movement without it. I've tried twice to reduce the dose with a view to stopping it but within 36hrs my pain starts to come back and I've had to restart them..

There are side effects as with many drugs but as long as my doctor is willing to prescribe it and I'm very careful to only take it after food and with a full glass of water so far I've had no problems..

For me its been life-saver and I can pretty much carry on my life with a few adjustments without it I'm sure I would be far less able.

NotTooOld Tue 31-Mar-15 16:06:05

I had Naproxin for about 2 weeks after my hip replacement op but I am off it now. You can google the name to read all the side effects and, of course, it will list them on the piece of paper included in the box, if you still have it.

thatbags Tue 31-Mar-15 17:05:45

I used it for yonks. I had a lot of minor nosebleeds but other than that no probs. Rather have minor nosebleeds every day than be in a lot of pain all the time.

I never read about side effects until I think I might be experiencing a side effect. Then I check to see if it is one.

tanith Tue 31-Mar-15 17:26:23

thatbags just curious, are you now taking something else for pain? Maybe you are painfree ?smile a much better outcome..

thatbags Tue 31-Mar-15 17:29:12

Taking something else. Not needing anything would be a good outcome but not a likely one, unfortunately.

tanith Tue 31-Mar-15 17:45:29

Is it something you can tell me about? grin I'd prefer not to take Naproxen but haven't found an alternative..

Marelli Tue 31-Mar-15 19:40:44

I think it would be necessary for me to take it on a regular basis and not just as and when, Soutra. I started taking it a couple of days ago and the difference is amazing, really. I'm going to give it a go for another few days and then reduce it to 250mg twice daily. I hadn't been given Omeprazole with it, so will need to see how my stomach reacts, too.

thatbags Tue 31-Mar-15 19:53:00

Have pm-ed you, tanith.

tanith Tue 31-Mar-15 20:15:24

thanks thatbags..

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Tue 31-Mar-15 20:38:08

DH has been taking Naproxen for a number of years albeit not constantly only when he has an attack of gout ' blamed on too much liking for port and stilton formed in his naval career' It is such a painful thing to have and he finds it works wonders. However not long after taking it he did find he was getting quite a bit of digestive discomfort especially if taking on an empty stomach-some men just wont be told !!! He now takes it along with Omemprozole and all is fine.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Tue 31-Mar-15 20:39:28

Omeprozole Sorry too much Sherry !

Mishap Tue 31-Mar-15 20:46:26

It is one of those drugs where it is very important to take it precisely as per the instructions in order to avoid problems. This goes for all anti-inflammatories. They can be very effective if used properly.

Marelli Tue 31-Mar-15 20:56:03

You would think that it would go hand in hand with Omeprazole (or similar), though? I remember a physio telling me that she preferred her patients not to be taking NSAIDs and to use paracetamol instead, though she hastened to add that the GP's advice would be based on what he/she thought was appropriate to the patient's needs. hmm

tanith Tue 31-Mar-15 21:24:03

Marelli Paracetamol doesn't touch the sort of pain I have and I've tried most things , the only things thats helped is the Naproxen , I'd rather not take it but needs must...

Tegan Tue 31-Mar-15 21:40:15

Maybe your Naproxen is ec coated?

thatbags Tue 31-Mar-15 21:42:36

My stomach was never affected when I was taking naproxen. It doesn'tcause problems for everyone. If you have any trouble with it, marelli, you could just go back to your GP and say so. Good luck to both you and tanith.

Marelli Tue 31-Mar-15 21:55:22

Paracetamol goes nowhere with me, either, tanith, although I don't have such serious problems as you. The Naproxen has given me so much relief, though, so I'll see what happens.

Tegan Tue 31-Mar-15 21:59:19

When you reach 'a certain age' GP's are more careful about what they prescribe; ibuprofen being one example. Not that I'm saying that Marelli is 'a certain age'.

tanith Tue 31-Mar-15 22:00:44

Marelli as the others have said make sure you take it as prescribed and you may find all is well... its been a lifesaver for me.. good luck with it.

Marelli Tue 31-Mar-15 22:48:14

Tegan - you know very well that I'm a 'certain age', as we have met up a good few times now grin!!
Thanks for the advice, everyone.