Gransnet forums

Health

So, a phoenix went to the Doctors.......

(129 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 15-Apr-15 16:01:14

For an assessment as to how I was getting on with the new dose of Dosulepin after 3 months. I told him that I was feeling a bit better, but was concerned about my short term memory. He asked for some examples and I said , "Oh you know, the usual things, thinking of something that should go on the shopping list, by the time I get downstairs I can't remember what it was, also when doing a crossword I see 2 clues to which I know the answer, but by the time I have filled in the first one, I forget what the second one was"

I thought he would say it was an age thing, but he said he would take some blood and send it off for various tests, and please would I book an appointment for 2 weeks time and come in to run through some dementia tests shock I was a bit confuddled re the bloods,but sure enough it turns out that blood testing is quite common for this sort of thing.

I went back today, and he said all the tests done on the blood samples were fine, in fact my cholesterol had come down slightly.smile

He then went on to the other tests. Now,I had mentioned to a friend that I was having this done, and she said that her BIL had gone through them recently, and part of it was reciting the alphabet backwards shock I'll admit that I had practiced a bit, so was quite miffed when he didn't ask me to do it. (by the way, even with practice I still wasn't very good at a backward alphabet, and had thought of doing my party piece, which is singing "How much is that doggy in the window" backwards, try it, the words still fit the tune, if you know what I mean grin )

Anyway, I thought I had done reasonably well, but at the end he said that he did think it ought to be investigated a bit more.

He is sending me for a scan. Yes, I'm a bit taken aback, but also thankful that I have such a good GP who is not only thorough, but also listens to his patients, rather than dismissing them out of hand as it seems so many others do.

Charleygirl Wed 15-Apr-15 16:09:39

OMG phoenix- in one respect you do have a good doctor but do you really want to know the truth? I am 50/50 with that one, especially as you are working and it may affect another job that you may apply for. You will have to concentrate doubly hard and take notes, lots of them so that you do not come across as appearing to be dim, which you are not.

posie Wed 15-Apr-15 16:13:43

I've had similar concerns lately. Not helped by watching my OH deteriorating with Alzheimer's.

I mentioned my concerns to my GP who just brushed them off saying he could see just by looking at me that I didn't have the same problem. Which is just rubbish!

I left still feeling slightly concerned & not reassured at all.

Bellasnana Wed 15-Apr-15 16:13:46

Oh crumbs! You've got me worried now. I frequently do that shopping list thing, and many a time I go to Google something and then totally forget what it was that I was wanting to look for shock

Good luck, phoenix, I hope your tests turn out ok. smile

merlotgran Wed 15-Apr-15 16:14:57

Heck, Phoenix You have me worried now about the memory loss. I not only forget what's supposed to be on the shopping list but when I google something, by the time I've got into the search engine I've often forgottten what it was I wanted to look up. shock

Do you think he's perhaps a little OTT?

merlotgran Wed 15-Apr-15 16:16:03

Oh, Bella, that's so funny. Glad I'm not the only one grin

posie Wed 15-Apr-15 16:19:54

Forgot to say phoenix that I hope it turns out to be just a touch of "normal" forgetfulness

Bellasnana Wed 15-Apr-15 16:20:52

Snap! merlotgran grin

jo1book Wed 15-Apr-15 16:24:20

God Almighty! Reciting alphabet backwards! I might just as well throw in the towwl.
Doctors can get on your nerves. They are so frightened of missing something. lt is tests all the time. You give so much blood you wonder if they are running vampires on the side. Also, do they not get fees for testing from the Gov.?

Anne58 Wed 15-Apr-15 16:24:54

Oh heavens, I now feel awful about striking fear into the hearts of so many GN's ! blush

merlot I did wonder that too, but in any previous dealings I've had with him (he's been with the practice for quite few years, but is taking over more now as "my" GP is only doing 1 day as week as he prepares to retire) he has never seemed to be OTT, or alarmist, just very patient and thorough.

kittylester Wed 15-Apr-15 16:24:59

I not only forget to put things in the list but quite often forget the blessed list when I'm going to Sainsbury's just to get what's on the list! confused

AshTree Wed 15-Apr-15 16:25:16

Oh Phoenix you are too young for this, surely? How lucky, though, to have such a thorough doctor - I'm sure there are many who would dismiss any concerns out of hand.
But like others, I'm kind of concerned now - the forgotten shopping list item happens a lot and like merlot I often go to google something and forget what it was I wanted to look up. Someone once said this is called Googleheimers grin. I just put all this down to the ageing process - I'm 10 years older than you are!
I really think your GP is just doing the 'belt and braces' approach here, so please try not to worry flowers

ninathenana Wed 15-Apr-15 16:36:10

AshTree whilst I and everyone here hopes that phoenix is just forgetful like the rest of us. Sadly no, she is not "too young" my cousin had early onset dementia at 43.

merlotgran Wed 15-Apr-15 16:36:27

My grandfather taught me to recite the alphabet backwards when I was about seven. Nowadays I can't get past ZYXWV hmm

merlotgran Wed 15-Apr-15 16:39:37

I'm sure you are fine, phoenix. If he tries to suggest otherwise tell him you'll bring your mates round and we'll confuse the hell out of him grin

AshTree I love Googleheimers grin

ninathenana Wed 15-Apr-15 16:39:41

The last time I had my diabetes check up the nurse put me through the memory test.
I could remember the name but not the address she gave me at the start. She said it was fine as I'd managed the rest fine.

Mishap Wed 15-Apr-15 16:42:35

The problems you describe are similar to mine phoenix and I too am on Dosulepin. I do think that they fog the brain a bit.

Whenever I hear people on TV being given these dementia tests, it gives me the creeps, as one of the tests (which involves remembering something like an address and recalling it after several other tests have been done) I fail every time!

I do hope that your scan does not show up anything to worry about and commend your GP for being so thorough. Keep us posted on how things go! flowers

Anne58 Wed 15-Apr-15 16:49:10

Thank you all!

merlot I've just had a bit of a sniggortle at If he tries to suggest otherwise tell him you'll bring your mates round and we'll confuse the hell out of him grin

Coolgran65 Wed 15-Apr-15 16:55:18

I think most of us are of an age where we get a little concerned over our memory and what it could mean.

Good luck phoenix. flowers

MiniMouse Wed 15-Apr-15 17:09:31

Well, I can certainly join the ranks of forgetful GNs and I also worry about it, as my DF had vascular dementia. I've never had a good memory for certain things - following directions, instructions etc!

phoenix I'm sure your GP is just being extra cautious and might even think he's reassuring you by being so thorough.

BTW You're right about "How much is that doggy . . . ." Yes, I've just tried it blush

Tegan Wed 15-Apr-15 17:14:07

I've never been able to recite the alphabet backwards; not sure if I can do it forwards these days confused. Don't even know the date [or day sometimes] since I retired sad. It's the Catch 22 thing with doctors isn't it; you want them to be thorough but when they are it worries you.

Charleygirl Wed 15-Apr-15 17:15:48

I can manage the alphabet forwards but never backwards. I have had a pile of dry washing sitting on a table downstairs and each time I go upstairs, I forget to take it.

annodomini Wed 15-Apr-15 17:22:15

I have seen this kind of forgetfulness named as 'benign senile amenesia' - ie not dementia but quite normal. Now how did I remember that when I can manage to forget many ordinary things? Today, outside a restaurant, a man I vaguely recognised greeted me like a long-lost friend which I may be, but I couldn't identify whether he was a former colleague or a fellow ex-councillor - or what. Luckily the conversation didn't last too long as my friend emerged from the restaurant and we all took off in opposite directions.

Anne58 Wed 15-Apr-15 17:37:52

anno that put me in mind of something I read re Tom Baker, the actor, was once Doctor Who, long scarf etc.

Apparently he met a woman at a party who seemed familiar, he approached her and said "Now, I'm sure I know you, tell me, what was it we worked on together?" To which she replied, "we didn't, but we were married for 5 years". grin

I have trouble with people being in the "wrong place", I'm sure you know what I mean, but I also have a bit of a problem with recognising people if they are wearing sunglasses. confused

Anne58 Wed 15-Apr-15 17:38:51

Mini grin Did you have to write it down first?