Gransnet forums

Health

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

(18 Posts)
loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 19:46:41

I have a serious flare-up of IBS after a number of pain free years, being diagnosed after investigations 15 years ago, and my GP says nothing more serious (!) going on, take Buscopan and painkillers.

Have any other GNs got any useful and/or effective tips? A friend suggested a gluten-free diet, but I cannot for the life of me work out what's triggered it!

Thanks in anticipation

rosesarered Fri 24-Apr-15 19:49:15

Why not try and work out what you ate for the last week?Our DD has a wheat/gluten free diet and it certainly helps her, but you may not have to go so far with diet if you can work out the cause.Stress is another factor.

janerowena Fri 24-Apr-15 19:50:07

I went gluten free, and the difference is huge. My sister had to at the same age, so I was half expecting it, and now my daughter has had to as well. The number of people who are gluten intolerant has doubled lately. It's worth trying it, it takes a couple of weeks for it to get out of my system. If that doesn't make you feel better, try something else, such as milk products.

merlotgran Fri 24-Apr-15 19:50:58

A gluten free diet sorted out my IBS, loopylou and then I have up bread altogether. I feel so much better.

I also discovered that if I had a cooked breakfast I couldn't eat bacon and eggs together. Bacon is fine with mushrooms or tomatoes and scrambled eggs are fine on their own so I either have one or the other.

merlotgran Fri 24-Apr-15 19:51:18

gave up bread, I mean.

NanKate Fri 24-Apr-15 19:52:38

I have something similar to IBS and was recommended to take Colpermine the moment I got any discomfort. They are basically pure peppermint and I buy 100 at time from Boots.

I have found them really effective and you can take them at the same time as IBS tablets.

Best of luck.

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 20:00:31

Crikey! Six minutes and so many responses! Thank you so much x

I'm really thinking gluten-intolerance yet I've never been a great bread/cake/biscuit eater; I realise gluten is present in many other foodstuffs too.

I'll seriously start trying this as the pain and bloating is getting depressing.
Luckily I'm starting the high fat/low (now no!) carb diet tomorrow which hopefully will help too.

I hadn't thought about peppermint capsules, will get some asap.

Thanks again, flowers

Mamie Fri 24-Apr-15 20:35:34

My OH has seen his IBS attacks diminish hugely since we started the low-carb diet. He still gets minor symptoms when he does too much (800km drive in one day or full day's heavy labour in the garden) but Colpermine or Buscopan work well.

harrigran Fri 24-Apr-15 23:31:10

I find peppermint capsules help.

vampirequeen Sat 25-Apr-15 07:47:00

Before you change your diet you need to talk to your GP. You can have a blood test for gluten intolerance. DD1 was on a gluten free diet when she was a child and, although it's easier these days, it can be quite restrictive and expensive if you buy the gluten free substitutes.

If you get a diagnosis from your GP some basic gluten free foodstuffs are available on prescription.

ninathenana Sat 25-Apr-15 10:41:30

DD is definitely stress related. One of her worst flare ups was when she had left school and was about to start college.

I will tell her about Colpermine.

whitewave Sat 25-Apr-15 12:35:26

I have just started on a gluten free diet and couldn't believe the difference it has made. I hardly believed it and had a couple of wheat cracker biscuits at my Mother's (that is all she had) and the reaction was almost immediate. It has taken some time for my stomach to settle, and I am not sure now whether to go and get a blood test just to confirm it. I haven't found it too arduous as it is really only bread plus perhaps soy sauce and stuff like that, I don't eat cake and biscuits as a rule and thought I would look up recipes with gluten free flour such as yorkshire pudding etc.

loopylou Sat 25-Apr-15 12:49:55

I've stocked up on peppermint capsules and more Buscopan- which, by the way, can now be bought off the shelf in supermarkets. The pharmacist said to carefully look at Buscopan prices, larger boxes are much cheaper.

I'm less stressed than I've been for months but perhaps it's the 'let down' from severe stress levels?
Thank you again everyone.

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 14:46:14

Dove Flour is great, makes nice cakes and pancakes to name but two.

NannyGoat12345 Sat 25-Apr-15 14:56:48

Try peppermint tea or fennel tea - I have tried everything in the past, believe me! Less stress helps, now that I am not office bound, things have definitely improved. I am also on the Slimming World diet, which being veggie, includes lots of pasta and rice, I haven't found this to be an issue though. Certain Quorn products set me off, but I know which ones, so I tend to avoid them if I can.

My DD suffers greatly too, she used to have goats milk, but seemed to become intolerant to that as well - she now has almond milk, which is fine with her.

It's a case of determining what you are 'ok' with and what you have issues with, there is no easy answer.

My GP told me 'don't worry, it's not life-threatening'. No, it isn't but it is certainly life changing at times and not in a good way sad

NannyGoat12345 Sat 25-Apr-15 14:58:41

Ooooh, by the way, the biggest change began when I saw a consultant (privately) who dealt with 'gut' issues and he prescribed Citalopram - just a low level at 20mgs a day, not that I was depressed, but he advised it helped with my particular type of IBS and it has improved my life no end.

Mishap Sat 25-Apr-15 15:15:33

I have had a lifetime of IBS and it is a completely misunderstood condition. The gut has its own "brain" and IBS can be seen as a sort of migraine of the gut; and just as migraine is poorly understood and treated, so with IBS.

I think it is basically a dysmotility syndrome where the gut is not moving in a coordinated or effective way. Just as migraine can have triggers, so with IBS; and many people get well by finding the triggers and avoiding them. That is the prevention side of things. But it does need to be done under proper medical supervision, as cutting things out from the diet without being sure that they really are the trigger can have unwanted repercussions. Years ago it was suggested that I cut out dairy, which I did for many years - I am now reaping the rewards in the form of osteoporosis.

As to treatment, we really are in the dark ages I am afraid, and just tinkering around.

The medics' "Don't worry, it's not life-threatening" approach (it's JUST irritable bowel) is a pain in the neck - I have never worried that it was life-threatening - I just wanted it to stop so I could get on with some sort of normal existence.

Their investigations were to establish that there is no cancer or other operable condition; but then they send you away to continue with the same symptoms you arrived with in the first place! I was always grateful to have ruled out such things, but really wanted some treatment for what I have!

loopylou Sat 25-Apr-15 15:28:40

That's really interesting Mishap, thank you. The pain has been excruciating at times, and I miserably look about 6 months pregnant today angry
I avoid spicy food, alcohol, peppers, radishes, onions etc etc normally and am struggling a bit.
Luckily Buscopan is starting to kick in, am drinking peppermint tea and so hope will settle down soon.

I'm sorry to hear that cutting out dairy has backfired on you - the thought of black tea/coffee, makes me shudder so hopefully that isn't the cause (fingers crossed)