Gransnet forums

Health

Swollen ankles from BP meds

(14 Posts)
tanith Mon 04-May-15 19:10:47

My GP recently changed my BP meds as it had been up a little, as soon as I started taking them my ankles swelled and are uncomfortable to say the least.
I loathe fat ankles, I've always had really skinny ankles and in the Summer they are impossible to hide they look really awful. I've looked online and it seems a diuretic is the answer but I don't want to take yet another med. So is there another way to tackle this? I know its a side affect of my meds so would a different one cause the same problem.. or is there something I can do to avoid the swelling , I've tried putting my feet up during the day but it doesn't help.

I know it sounds silly and vain but its really upsetting me to look in the mirrow and see cankles , HELP!!

POGS Mon 04-May-15 19:19:00

tanith

All I can say is I took BP tablets that caused my ankles to swell and one of my GP's said the prescription was not the best for me and changed me onto 'Indapamide', no more problems. So I guess I am saying go back to the doctor rather than suffer in silence.

feetlebaum Mon 04-May-15 19:29:18

Discuss it with your GP who should be able to suggest changes to your prescription.

Worked for me...

newist Mon 04-May-15 19:47:59

tanith this is exactly what has happened to me recently, I already take 1 blood pressure tablet, but it started to creep up again, so the doc put me on another one as well, both my ankles swelled up like balloons and no amount of raising them did any good, so its just been changed to a diuretic, my BP is down but I need the Loo much more than usual, I would still rather go to the Loo more than have fat ankles

tanith Mon 04-May-15 21:25:34

Thanks everyone I'm going to make an app tomorrow to see if my GP will prescribe something else , a few people seem to have the same problem with Amlodipine , I hope he looks kindly on me.grin

durhamjen Mon 04-May-15 21:35:59

I am on an Ace Inhibitor, and you shouldn't take diuretics with them.
Of course, it could be the Ace inhibitor that's causing the fat ankles. They always say they do not know what I am fussing about, but I know one is fatter than the other, and I can feel that my leg is thickened all the way up to my knee. It's a problem of always having thin legs and ankles before my aortic dissection. I'm with you, Tanith, about not wanting what I call old ladies' ankles.
The Ace inhibitor is the only tablet that hasn't been changed so perhaps I ought to ask about that.
One problem with diuretics is that they can put blood sugar up.

durhamjen Mon 04-May-15 21:37:48

I had Amlodipine changed to Lercanidipine. Doesn't appear to have as many side effects, but the fat ankles are still there.

POGS Mon 04-May-15 21:55:29

tanith

I couldn't remember when I posted but it was Amlodipine I was taken off due to ankle swelling .

tanith Mon 04-May-15 22:05:58

Seems lots of people have a problem with it POGS, I do wonder why they keep prescribing it if its so problematic.. what were you moved onto and did it work ok?

Bez Mon 04-May-15 22:34:27

One of the most common effects of Amlodopine is the swollen ankles and the pharmacist told me that you do need to come off it if you get that. Ramipril causes a cough - and it also means that the whole raft of them with the same ending would do the same. There are a lot of blood pressure tablets and I now take a concoction but it is working at the moment.

POGS Mon 04-May-15 23:42:26

tanith

As I said in my pospost 19.19. Indapamide, you attentive Nelly. grin

Coolgran65 Tue 05-May-15 01:31:21

tanith perhaps that one is prescribed more readily because it is the cheapest, and not everyone will get the swollen ankles.

I hope you get a suitable change of medication.

tanith Tue 05-May-15 08:12:05

POGS (grin)

Teetime Tue 05-May-15 09:08:14

I've always had fat ankles (Lupus again) and been on Bisoprolol for 30 years (Lupus again). Better to get the GP to adjust the meds, diuretics have side effects too- have you tried support tights?