Gransnet forums

Health

My daughter died ten days ago

(500 Posts)
AlieOxon Fri 15-May-15 15:04:21

Of acute pulmonary oedema, we have just heard.
She hadn't seen her consultant for four years for her kidney condition
She probably wasn't taking her potassium pills.
We didn't know she was risking her life. She probably didn't.
.....and I am really angry.

There is a black hole in the middle of our family.

But what I really want to say is that although the condition she had is very rare (Gitelman's Syndrome, if you want to look it up) that I have found there is a similar risk in people with heart conditions who are taking some diuretics.

We should have known that she was at risk. From what I find, this is only recently realised by the medical profession about GS patients - there may be only 1500 in Britain. I don't know if heart patients are warned.
I feel this should be better known.

KatyK Fri 15-May-15 15:12:19

Oh Alie. There are no words. flowers

ninathenana Fri 15-May-15 15:16:13

I read your previous post about this condition and that DD was seriously ill. I can see why you feel anger.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your DD. flowers I hope you have plenty of support at this sad time.

HildaW Fri 15-May-15 15:23:45

Alie, so very sorry, nothing I can say really. Just so sorry and my heart goes out to you.

JessM Fri 15-May-15 15:28:41

Very sorry to hear about this tragedy Allie and it's natural that you should be angry. Rare conditions are often not well researched or understood. sad
It can be very difficult when adult children are ill as I know - we so much want to support and protect them - to mother them in fact, but they do not always choose to keep their mum in the picture and sometimes they do not make the best choices about their treatment. sad flowers

AshTree Fri 15-May-15 15:37:29

Alie I am so sorry to read this. Poor you sad flowers

whitewave Fri 15-May-15 16:00:08

a

Mishap Fri 15-May-15 16:34:41

I can understand your anger - you have lost a dearly loved daughter, and must be feeling that you wish she had had more information about the dangers of her condition. Let us hope that this information will be more widely disseminated to avoid further tragedies.

Thinking of you. flowers

janerowena Fri 15-May-15 16:39:33

No wonder it came as such a shock to you. flowers

loopylou Fri 15-May-15 16:42:33

Alie I cannot find the words that would make any difference, such a tragedy for you and your family.
Your anger is natural and wholly understandable.
Pulmonary oedema is insidious and maybe she just didn't realise what was happening until too late.

My heart goes out to you and I'm very much thinking of you, ((hugs)) and love x

Teetime Fri 15-May-15 16:51:59

Alie I am so very sorry for your loss in such a tragic way. I hope there are people near you to give you the love and comforty ou need. flowers

Ariadne Fri 15-May-15 16:55:29

Oh, ^Alie* how very, very sad. Your anger is understandable, as is your grief. We are all thinking of you, and walking beside you. X

kittylester Fri 15-May-15 17:34:47

Alie, you know we are all here for you in this awful situation. You must be so angry. As Jess said, rare things are not researched properly as they don't have the same high profile as lots more 'common' conditions. flowers

Grannyknot Fri 15-May-15 17:56:07

Dear Alie, I am so very sorry for you and all the family. How hard life can be. My thoughts are with you all.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-May-15 17:58:45

Dear Alie flowers and [hugs]

glammanana Fri 15-May-15 18:01:36

Warm ((hugs)) Alie thinking of you and your family at this sad time.

whenim64 Fri 15-May-15 18:05:39

So sorry to hear this latest news, Alie. flowers

FarNorth Fri 15-May-15 18:19:30

That's so sad alie and you are justified to feel very angry at what has happened. Thank you for taking the time to think of others who may be at risk. flowers (hugs)

whitewave Fri 15-May-15 19:17:48

alie I am not good with words at times like this but my heart goes out to you

NfkDumpling Fri 15-May-15 19:34:19

Oh Allie I just can't find the right words either, so just send the biggest all enveloping (((((hug))))). I would, like you be angry. Very angry. Surely she should have had at least annual check ups? Perhaps if you register an official complaint? Even if it were not upheld it would at least get enough publicity to make others aware of the dangers.

Rowantree Fri 15-May-15 19:35:49

I am so sorry Alie. It's not surprising you feel such anger and pain. To lose a child is one of the worst pains imaginable. Hugs, strength and love to you and your family flowers

Anne58 Fri 15-May-15 19:52:57

Alie I too have lost a child, albeit under very different circumstances.

There are some countries where due to circumstances many people accept this, it is taken as "read".

However, we here in this part of the world are conditioned that children bury their parents, not the other way round.

It hurts, my dear, oh how it bloody well hurts! I can remember for quite a few days/weeks/months after he died, I would wake up and for a few seconds it seemed that all was ok, then the remembrance would hit me like a punch to the stomach.

If there was a magic wand, I would be waving it in your direction so much that it might be deemed a hazard to shipping or to air traffic.

Alie I wish that there was more I can say, but sadly there isn't, at least not here. If you want to PM me, feel free to go ahead, although I cannot do the one thing that you might want.

Sending a lot of love, and some understanding.

R xx

Anya Fri 15-May-15 19:59:19

Phoenix that is so moving and so true. I know those feelings too.

Ali don't be afraid to shout your pain and anger on this forum. There are those of us who do have an understanding of what you are going through and others who will offer (((hugs))) and a listening ear.

absent Fri 15-May-15 20:15:31

Thinking of you at this terribly sad time.

Jomarie Fri 15-May-15 20:48:07

So very sorry for you Ali - just hang on. Can't imagine anything worse than to lose my DD so do really feel for you flowers.