Gransnet forums

Health

New specs

(28 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 23-May-15 18:24:18

Following a recent eye test I have just collected my varifocal glasses. I find they are great for distances and everywhere looks a lot sharper and clearer than before.
But I am struggling with the reading part. It is fine for a quick glance at a price on a label, but if I sit to read a book I find it hard to focus properly and I start seeing double. It looks like 3D with words and letters on top of each other. I have to close one eye to be able to read. Is it my fault and I need to get used to them? Or is there something wrong with the specs?

soontobe Sat 23-May-15 18:29:46

Some people that I know refuse to have varifocals for that reason. But I cant remember whether it is the reading part they cant get on with, or the distance part.

J52 Sat 23-May-15 18:32:55

Not sure, I never coped with my varifocals. As you say ok for quick glance, but I found them useless for cross words and reading unless I held my head at a particular angle!
The optician recommended separate reading glasses for computer work, so in the end I opted for two pairs, one 'seeing' and one for reading.

They do say you have to persevere and get used to them, they may work out fine for you. x

petra Sat 23-May-15 18:35:31

Go back to the opticians. That isn't right. I have had varifocals since they first came out. I have only ever had one problem, and that was with Specsavers. I knew the prescription wasn't right from the moment I put them on. On a retest it was established that the prescription was wrong.

aggie Sat 23-May-15 18:39:01

I have the varifocals too and find they are ok for a quick look at labels and prices , I start the crossword and have to take them off after a bit , I am lucky that I can read for ages without the glasses , but they are great for everyday use , I think you need to go back to the optician , sounds like the reading bit isn't set right , I don't get any 3d effect , my eyes and neck get tired reading with them though

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 23-May-15 18:51:22

Definitely go back. They have not made up the prescription properly. Is it a local optician or one of the big ones? I am not too happy with my new bi-focals from Tesco, although the prescriptions in separate frames are fine.

Iam64 Sat 23-May-15 18:59:34

Yes, go back, there's a fault with the prescription. It happened with my first pair.

As well as my expensive vari focal specs in their expensive frames, I always have a pair of cheap readers. I use them all the time when reading books or newspapers and don't worry about them if reading on the beach for example, where I'd never dream of taking my more expensive specs.

jeanie99 Sun 24-May-15 00:11:54

If you are having these type of problems with varifocals make an appointed to see your optician and get it checked out.

I have used this type of lenses for some years now and have never had the type of problem you are experiencing. All new lenses do seem strange at first and this covers single vision as well until your eyes get used to the lense, this only takes though a few days.

These types of lenses are a compromise and are never completely successful but are the best of the best.

When I worked I used reading glasses for my computer work, I found these better for long time use of computers.

loopylou Sun 24-May-15 06:24:11

Very odd, I've had varifocal lens from Specsavers for years and never had a problem. Initially I had to concentrate when going down stairs or steps until I got used to them, but I wear glasses all the time so definitely go back.

JessM Sun 24-May-15 07:32:41

Yes I agree go back and demand a re-test. They won't be keen to do it and will tell you to stick with them and give them a chance.
I had some varifocals from Supersavers - huge mistake. When i tried them on I knew instantly they were not right.
Previous experience was that they were brilliant and did not take any time to adapt to.
Told to go away and see. Then moved house. Discovered that Supersavers is a franchise so new one not that keen to put right the problem. Until I saw the manager who was more obliging. If I remember rightly I got as far as extracting a re-test but did not have the energy to demand new lenses.
Ended up having my old frames re-glazed (worth considering if you have a favourite expensive set of frames) with the more expensive Zeiss lenses by a private opt. The quality of varifocal lenses is not the same - more you pay, the better you get I'm afraid.
I should write out a notice and pin it on the wall to remind me of this important fact:
GET THE BEST LENSES AND GET SEVERAL OPINIONS BEFORE YOU CHOOSE FRAMES BECAUSE YOU WEAR THESE ALL THE TIME, EVERY DAY.
So much more important than spending money on new clothes.

Leticia Sun 24-May-15 07:44:59

I think there is something wrong with the lenses. I put off having them for years because I thought it would be difficult, but when I finally gave in I found them really easy. Stairs felt a bit odd for the first day but that was all.

Leticia Sun 24-May-15 07:47:32

Just seen that you had the same problem, Loopylou. Stairs are a bit odd every time I change the prescription, but I have never had a problem and use Specsavers.

Juliette Sun 24-May-15 08:25:26

Take them back.
DH had a problem with varifocals from Boots, after spending a weekend trying to get used to them with me mumbling in the back ground about having no patience with anything new, he took them back to discover that the lenses had been put in the wrong way round. confused

pompa Sun 24-May-15 08:34:04

I have had VF's for many years now, they do take a bit of getting used to, but if after a week or two at the most, if you are still having trouble take them back. They may just need adjusting.
The first time I had VF's I was persuaded to have Zeiss lenses, had very little trouble getting used to them, just a few hours. Only once was I persuaded to try an alternative lens, they were awful, no where as good as the Zeiss. Mrs. P started having VF a couple of years ago and was instantly comfortable with them.
Zeiss lenses are expensive, but in my experience worth every penny, the vision is sharp right across the lens, I found with others that when I looked over my shoulder when driving the image was not sharp.

Nelliemoser Sun 24-May-15 09:25:24

You do need to get used to them but I think there is a fine art in getting the close work part of them in just the right position at the bottom of the lens to suit each wearers eye.
I had to take a pair back because the dispenser had got the position wrong.
I can cope well with varifocals now. I am too scatter brained to manage two pairs of glasses. They go on my nose as I wake up and are only removed in the day when I realise the lenses are so splashed up I can't see through them properly.

Teetime Sun 24-May-15 09:34:27

I like my varifocals (Vision express) they sell several grades of lense and the more you pay the better they are!!! but I do have to have my head on straight so no good for reading in bed when I slip down under the covers so I have a pair of readers for that.. I used to find I needed to sit square on at meetings rather than on one of the side tables if there was a Powerpoint presentation.

petallus Sun 24-May-15 09:37:25

I've just ordered a new pair of specs (expensive) but stuck to bifocals and having read the above I'm glad I did.

However, I am apprehensive about the frames. I allowed myself to be persuaded to buy some thick brown ones whereas usually I wear thin pink.

baubles Sun 24-May-15 09:42:05

Go back and ask to have them rechecked. The problem could lie either with the measurements or the prescription. No reputable optician will refuse to do this, they gain nothing by having unhappy customers.

The odd feeling going downstairs is quite normal, I still take mine off to to that but as I don't wear them constantly I have never adjusted completely.

I agree that one should buy the best lenses one can afford but remember that if your budget changes over the years and you then choose a cheaper lens you may notice quite a difference.

Zeus lenses are very good but they are only one brand, there are many other excellent lenses on the market.

Mishap Sun 24-May-15 10:04:41

I have the full works - varifocals, high index etc. and have never had any trouble for decades. The technology has advanced enormously over that time and you certainly should not be getting that 3D effect. You need to go back and get it checked out.

They are truly wonderful - gone are the "milk bottle" lenses and the need for 2 pairs. I love 'em.

petallus Sun 24-May-15 10:14:11

Some years ago I tried varifocals but felt 'spaced out' when wearing them. They were changed to bifocals but I still felt odd. Eventually it was decided the prescription was too strong.

You should definitely go back and get them and your prescription checked.

pompa Sun 24-May-15 10:56:09

Teetime, with the Zeiss lenses you don't need to be square on as the vision from the side of the lens is still good.

Bauble, yes there are other good ones, but having strayed away once (a costly mistake) I stick with what I know to be good and I am used to.

Mishap Sun 24-May-15 11:30:49

The Zeiss lenses cost-a-load but are very definitely worth every penny. Very little side distortion which makes driving easier.

mrsmopp Sun 24-May-15 20:25:04

I will go back. Will make an appointment after the bank holiday.
Thanks all!

aggie Sun 24-May-15 21:14:09

My wee granddaughters have been wearing glasses for a few years , one has had her prescription changed to varifocals and she has cheered up immensely , her reading has come on in leaps and bounds

Deedaa Sun 24-May-15 22:04:16

I've loved my Specsavers varifocals ever since I first tried them. I worried whether I'd be able to adjust to them, but it was no problem at all. I'm careful about stairs because I have heard that the over 60's should be careful if they are wearing varifocals or bifocals but that's the only time I'm aware that I'm wearing them,