Gransnet forums

Health

Warts

(20 Posts)
NanKate Mon 29-Jun-15 19:19:22

I have a small wart on my little finger do you know an easy way to get rid of it ?

My 2 year old GS also has a large wart on his hand which my DS is trying to get rid of with Teatree Oil but I am not sure how successful it will be.

Anya Mon 29-Jun-15 19:41:07

Try freezing it off.

hildajenniJ Mon 29-Jun-15 19:46:45

Warts do not like trauma. Take a nail file or emery board and file it, a little bit each day. It will disappear. That's how I got rid of the warts on my hand and the veruccas on my heel.

vampirequeen Mon 29-Jun-15 22:00:33

Put an aspirin on it and wrap it with a plaster. Leave a few days and you'll find it will burn off.

You can buy stuff like Wart-Off from the chemist. It works well too.

A child's wart should be dealt with by a GP.

midgey Mon 29-Jun-15 22:10:50

The chiropodist told my daughter to put black nail varnish on verrucas, she also said that many of the treatments were "barbaric"! It worked a treat, no pain and gone in a couple of weeks. The nail varnish on the bed sheets however......

mcem Mon 29-Jun-15 22:30:01

Do you think any of these treatments would get rid of little skin tags? ( In the area of bra underwires.)

Ana Mon 29-Jun-15 22:32:12

Shouldn't you have let the varnish dry before you got into bed, midgey? confused

Tegan Mon 29-Jun-15 23:31:46

I saved an advert in the paper the other day for something that removes warts and skin tags. It's called BioSkinTagOil. Haven't set away for it yet, though.

TriciaF Tue 30-Jun-15 09:34:14

There's been some discussion in a weekly magazine that we get about treating warts.
Two ideas:
1. (don't laugh) early morning saliva
2. the white juice from a fig tree

ninathenana Tue 30-Jun-15 17:09:32

Warts do eventually disappear by themselves. Just as miraculously as they appear. I occasionally get them around my finger nails.
When I had a verruca as a child doc told mum to cover it with elastoplast (the type without dressing attached) change the plaster every 2-3 days. It works by drawing the verruca out. Sorry to be graphic but you can see it coming away each time you change the elastoplast.

grannyonce Tue 30-Jun-15 17:23:48

had heard that gaffer tape will remove warts (not sure if it has to be black though) smile
does anyone know what to do with the dreaded 'senile warts' - forget the long name - I have been told, medical removal, cider apple vinegar, 'not getting old' !

Anne58 Tue 30-Jun-15 23:19:01

How sort of spooky! I have only today noticed a small lump (this is going to be a bit difficult to describe, but I'll have a go.

My left hand, the tiny lump is about an inch and a bit up from my wrist bone, but slightly to the right.

Doesn't hurt, haven't noticed it before, but of course now that I know it's there.......................confused

Rowantree Tue 04-Aug-15 15:22:28

I had a wart appear suddenly on my forehead and I found it very embarrassing, though luckily it was usually hidden by my fringe.

My GP told me I couldn't get NHS treatment to remove it even if I was distressed by it - and I kept catching it with my fingernail/brush which made it bleed. I looked into private clinics but was quoted £1,500 - for a WART! I asked everywhere, but in the end I tried tea tree oil on the recommendation of a friend and kept it covered by a sticking plaster (partly to keep the oil on, partly so that my little granddaughter didn't catch the virus). I replaced it every day and applied more oil. After about ten days I noticed it was drying out somewhat and I couldn't resist picking at it. It dropped off and hasn't returned!
I'd try that method again - tea tree oil and sticking plaster smile

KatyK Tue 04-Aug-15 16:41:56

phoenix. I am not trying to diagnose your lump but from time to time I get a small lump near my wrist bone just as you describe. I went to the docs with it years ago and he described it as a ganglion (I may have mis-spelt that). He said it was harmless. It disappeared but from time to time over the years it re-appears. Sometimes it appears on the top of my wrist bone and sometimes underneath. confused

annsixty Tue 04-Aug-15 16:53:50

The old remedy for getting rid of a ganglion was to hit it firmly and sqare on with the Family Bible. Have you got it handy?

MiniMouse Tue 04-Aug-15 16:55:09

I used to get ganglions on my instep as a child (ballet related?). My DM used to whack it with a book to burst it and release the fluid shock (it dispersed internally) I was much more scared of her than the whack!!!

shysal Tue 04-Aug-15 17:26:01

I have a lot of the senile warts , mostly on my back. When I have had the occasional one in an inconvenient place, like catching under a bra strap, I have picked it off bit by bit.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Aug-15 17:32:16

According to Trust me I'm a Doctor, duct tape is the thing. Put a bit on - leave it for a few days - remove, soak wart in warm water - rub with emery board. Repeat as needed.

rosesarered Tue 04-Aug-15 17:36:45

Not sure about warts, but Phoenix it does sound like a ganglion! I had one removed from my hand in an op as it was starting to bother me.I think warts come and go of their own accord?

KatyK Tue 04-Aug-15 17:36:49

my doctor actually told me that annsixty! He said in the old days we would hit it with a heavy book but I don't think I'll do that.