Gransnet forums

Health

New tablets, any advice?

(27 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 27-Jul-15 18:33:04

Hello all,

After quite a long time on Dosulepin, I have now been prescribed Citalopram, 20mg once a day.

On the advice of the consultant I have reduced my Dosulepin from 100mg a day, down to 75mg for 5 days, then nothing for a further 5 days before starting on the new stuff.

My question is this, after a fair few false starts I found that 6pm was exactly the right time for me to take the tablets. It didn't make me feel drowsy in the evening, and neither did I have the awful "jangly" feeling in the morning if I took them at bedtime.

As this is a completely different medication (albeit still prescribed for the same condition) I'm very unsure as to when the best time to take it might be. confused As you know, I have started a new job which I love, but need to be "on the ball". I also need a decent nights sleep. The leaflet of possible side effects is no help at all!

For example, might be sleepy, on the other hand might have trouble sleeping. Might have a loss of appetite, or might have increased appetite, etc etc.

There is also a mention of the possibility of "vivid and unusual dreams" I had an absolutely awful month a while back when a different tablet was tried, (something beginning with "M"?) such dreadful nightmares that I just couldn't bear it.

If anyone has had experience of this new one and can advise, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

annsixty Mon 27-Jul-15 19:13:25

I take 20mgs of Citalopram and have done for about 6months. I take it in the morning with my first cup of tea along with a low dose of Felodipine for blood pressure.
I have had no side effects at all. I do not sleep well but never have done.
I hope you find them effective and they "suit you".

annsixty Mon 27-Jul-15 19:17:52

While pressing send it occurred to me that the med starting with "M" might have been Mertazipine. That suits my friend very well while Citalopram didn't. Trial and error really.

Luckygirl Mon 27-Jul-15 19:21:13

I do hope that this new medication suits you and makes you well.

You are clearly aware that it is a whole different type of drug. I tried a drug from the same family and could not tolerate them at all, as they made me very nauseous. But my DD has been taking Citalopram for many years, as has a friend of mine, and they are both really well on them with no side effects at all. My DD's life was transformed. I believe that my DD takes hers at night.

I hope you get the same good result.

downtoearth Mon 27-Jul-15 19:30:43

Have been on the older version of citalopram ..escitalopram for about 8 years..now take 10mg as any higher not recommended for the over 60s,my son takes citalopram 20mg. I take mine with cup of tea and other meds first thing in morning,my son although a night worker takes his first thing before he goes to bed...when starting on them neither of us has any side effects when first taking them with and have been as alert as we are able .....I believe Dosulepin is a different type of AD I believe it is also known as prothiaden,which has been used for many years and if I remember rightly one of the strengths have been discontinued think its 75mg sometimes was unobtainable from suppliers quite a lot....you ill be fine phoenix always disconcerting when meds you have taken for years are changed isn't it xx

annsixty Mon 27-Jul-15 19:46:51

That's interesting downtoearth as I am 78!! I must look years younger to my GP grin

Anne58 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:54:19

Thank you all for the replies, they are appreciated.

The consultant has recommended the change after my being referred for short term memory loss. The CT scan showed a slight lack of expected density in the whotsit doobry part of my brain confused

I am supposed to be having an MRI scan on Wednesday, but am a bit nervous about this as I had a bone graft from the hip to the jaw at 15 y.o. which I believe was initially held in place with pins or wires, which of course would mean that an MRI was definitely NOT a good idea! I have spoken to the department and they have said that based on my CT scan, it should be fine confused

Apparently the Citalopram is good at either producing seratonin or stimulating it/simulating it which is good for memory problems.

downtoearth when I was "upped" from 75mg to 100mg of Dosulepin, it was costing me a double prescription charge, as it was only available in 75mg tablets or 25mg capsules. Apparently my GP was not allowed to prescribe 100mg a day made up of 4 x 25mg capsules confused

downtoearth Mon 27-Jul-15 20:20:28

annsixty mine must have thought I looked older he cut me down when I was 59 grin...obviously (as we in the pharmacy game say) your GP will weigh up all the factors and prescribe according to your needs...

phoenix the way a pharmacy gets paid and the way a doctor writes a prescription is determined by the pricing bureau for what they will or will not pay the pharmacy for....bonkers but it all boils down to money in the end,and not in your favour.

Anne58 Mon 27-Jul-15 20:31:00

That could make sense (sort of!) downtoearth my GP's practice is a dispensing one, in that a patient doesn't walk out with a paper prescription, but actually gets whatever medication has been prescribed.

I did ask about changing the Dosulepin to be 1 prescription for the corresponding amount of capsules, but was told that it couldn't be done.

Oh well, all changed now as I seem to be back on 1 prescription a month instead of 2!

Confused of Devon.

downtoearth Mon 27-Jul-15 21:04:24

My GP is a dispensing one,but the pricing rules apply to all precscriptions,which is the pharmacies bread and butter.,There are fluctuations in prices which is why the same drug comes from many different suppliers and different packaging and the most cost effective is given,unless the GP has specified a brand,ie Prothiaden,and not the generic Dosulepin,a GP will reluctantly do this if a patient is sensitive to changes in brand changes....did you ever consider a prepayment option which may have been cheaper for you depending how many items you have in a year/6months/3monthsxxx

Deedaa Mon 27-Jul-15 21:47:38

DH has been on Citalopram for the last 5 years. He doesn't seem to have any side effects from it (He's been on such a cocktail of drugs all this time that it's hard to tell which causes what hmm ) The only problems have been when he decided to stop taking it! I have now convinced him that that will have to be a long term project.

Anne58 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:07:46

Again, thanks to all!

I have looked at the prepayment thing, but can't remember how it worked out! I think that when I last looked the up front amount was a problem at the time blush but could be different now.

Just wish I could decide which way to go with the first dose of the Citalopram! In the morning, at bedtime or with the "bongs" at 6pm.

I felt I right numpty/Pavlov's dog earlier this evening, "bong" on Radio 4, I rose from the chair like an automaton and headed for the cupboard, then remembered! [blushed]

Right, off for a drug free early night, will read a bit as usual and see what happens. Must say, that even with the Dosulepin at 6pm, my sleep pattern has not been good.

Will try to decide on time to take them, just a bit worried if I do try first thing tomorrow, might get all of a doo dah at work tomorrow!

Coolgran65 Mon 27-Jul-15 22:11:39

I take 20 mg citalopram each morning and am unaware of any side effects. Doing so for about five years and I'm 66.
Had never taken an AD before and didn't realise how flat I felt, until I felt better. Gave me back my zest for life.

Tegan Mon 27-Jul-15 22:14:01

Would it not be best to switch when you've got a clear run of a few days not working? I don't understand about the Dosulepin. If the medication is the same but two different strengths it should be put on one prescription with only one charge...I'm sure that's how we did it confused. Sometimes a good idea to get a PPC if you're on something new and there's a likelyhood of the dose changing over a period of a few weeks.

downtoearth Tue 28-Jul-15 12:00:03

Tegan same drug on a script two different strengths=2 charges,do you remember prempak c had two different strengths as it had two strengths the confusion that caused some people espescially as prempak had only one therefore one charge,it has got quite confusing and I had to keep referring to the chart because of a few anomalies with certain things FPC like to confuse thingsgrin

downtoearth Tue 28-Jul-15 12:01:13

except when its warfarin...I knew one escaped me..grin

Tegan Tue 28-Jul-15 13:22:39

I'm still sure it's one charge for the purchaser but counts as two charges as a prescription ie put 1+1 in the little box at the bottom. Mind you; I'm not going to dig my folder out...having been made to do a course on something I'd been doing for 20 years still grates on me [especially as I thought I'd completed it and then found I'd only done half! it was SOOOO boring grin]. Maybe Prempak C was because there were two things in the one box? I know people don't pay for thyroxine but I'm sure each prescription only had one charge. I don't think even the people upstairs in the office knew half the time what we should be charging confused#thosewerethedays

Tegan Tue 28-Jul-15 13:25:07

Aha; Prempak C had some tablets containing estrogen and some with norgestrel, therefore they were two different formulations and two charges.

downtoearth Tue 28-Jul-15 14:02:25

Tegan re took my NVQ 2 again in dispensing last year,so completely different to the first lot I did in 1968,different pharmacies have different approaches don't they,this time round it was co-op pharmacy,first was Boots with lots of private chemists in between..dispensing these days is a conveyor belt operation,I used to like getting down and dirty with stock mixtures,or knocking up a batch of some gunky ointment with some pretty weird,wonderful or just plain smelly ingrediants...rock sulphur springs to mind [stinky emoticon]

Tegan Tue 28-Jul-15 14:58:48

Oh I never got to do that! But I did love decanting little tablets into dinky little bottles; if I managed to tip out the correct quantity into that triangular shaped thing I'd feel really chuffed [the slightly rounded ones that looked like Smarties wouldn't behave properly sad]. Shelves looked neater when most things had to be dispensed in boxes though. Remember when Damien Hirst did a pharmacy as one of his 'works of art'? I just though, blimey, what's artistic about that confused?If ever you get to a gransnet met up we'll have to sit in a corner and chat about it. I do miss it sometimes.

downtoearth Tue 28-Jul-15 15:13:40

I never got to grips with the triangle always preferred to count ...and then the phone would ring.....true about the boxes until GPs ordered 30 tablets and they only came in 28s then you had to fart about taking 2 out and putting them in the box leaving 26 for the next script ..hmm

Tegan Tue 28-Jul-15 15:32:47

That's when elastic bands came in handy red elastic band = incomplete box. Oh happy days. My little dispensary is now derelict [branch surgery was closed own due to cuts sad]. I'll come back and haunt it one day grin!

downtoearth Tue 28-Jul-15 17:26:23

How has today been phoenixsmile

Nelliemoser Tue 28-Jul-15 18:27:28

Phoenix Have you spoken to a pharmacist who might have a slightly better grasp of how these drugs work or affect others than a GP?

Anne58 Tue 28-Jul-15 18:33:54

Errrrmmmm, fine, thanks for asking, but that may be because I haven't taken any yet blush

Bloody awful last night though, but again, that's not exactly unusual.

I'm supposed to be having an MRI scan tomorrow, but have chickened out re-scheduled it.

It is coming up to "month end" and I'm having my first proper go at preparing all the account thingys to go to the accountant, so of course I can't possibly have tomorrow off, even though I usually work Monday, Tuesday & Thursday grin I will go in tomorrow, just so that I'm (hopefully) ahead of things and can avoid last minute rushing etc. wink

I love this job, even though the dentist wouldn't let me book DS (boss) check up appointment, due to "data protection" confused