Gransnet forums

Health

Hypertension

(28 Posts)
tanith Wed 29-Jul-15 12:23:33

My blood pressure has been a bit unstable for a few months up and down and I've been on 4 different meds to get it down, some caused side affects and we had to try something different, it was nice and low for about a month and I went yesterday for some other blood results and the GP checked my BP and it was high, so now he wants me to check it everyday (I have a monitor at home) so this morning I took it and its very high and now I'm stressing about it and keep imagining I can hear my heart beating..
I know I'm only making it worse and don't know how to stop. I do eat healthily and walk every day and try not to eat salt.
My GP asked if I'm under any stress, I'm not my life is mostly stress free its only this that's got me worrying. Any advice gratefully received.

Anya Wed 29-Jul-15 12:31:01

A friend of mine always register a high BP at her GP surgery. The name for this is 'white coat hypertension' and means that she stresses when the GP or practice nurse takes her BP thereby pushing it up higher.

She too was given a monitor to check it at home and this showed her BP was within acceptable limits at home. So try to relax, play soothing music when you take your home reading. The fact that you are stressed by even doing the readings could be a factor.

chocolatepudding Wed 29-Jul-15 13:05:20

A practice nurse once suggested to me to completely flop in the chair and not to speak at all whilst the BP reading was being taken.

Beetroot juice (mixed with apple juice) is proven to lower blood pressure. drinking just one glass a day can make a difference.

see
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577757/Beetroot-juice-can-tame-blood-pressure.html

tanith Wed 29-Jul-15 13:05:48

My husband does have 'white coat syndrome' Anya but I've never had a problem before with BP being taken by the GP.. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why its being so stubbornly high , thanks for the advice.

rubylady Wed 29-Jul-15 14:01:23

If, when it was first taken and was up, you then subconsciously panicked every time afterwards, then this could have it going up and down. It's a begger because we can't see it. And I do think keep taking it makes it worse too, especially at home where you feel normally safe and secure.

I had pre-eclampsia with my daughter and was in hospital for 12 weeks prior to her birth so became paranoid about blood pressure readings. I was allowed home for the weekend if it was below 100 diastolic. I have been paranoid since and especially when having my son. I used to imagine him inside, holding onto the blood vessels and making it go down. Now, when the cuff is put on, I say in my mind in a low, deep voice - down, down, down. It seems to help me stay calm and my readings recently have been 84, which is good for me.

Do you have someone at home with you who could help you take a reading or a neighbour who could hold your hand? Just some comfort might make a difference. It's amazing how worked up we get without even knowing it. Maybe look at minerals which might help to bring it down a little. We know little about these important elements and just tweaking can make a difference. I take magnesium and it helps tremendously for various things. Be pro active about this, do some research and try to help yourself. Modern medication is great but personally I like to find out why something is happening in my body and try to rectify the cause, not just treat the symptoms.

Good luck, I hope it soon settles down. flowers

janeainsworth Wed 29-Jul-15 14:02:19

How high was it Tanith?

downtoearth Wed 29-Jul-15 14:09:30

I have white coat syndrome and have been on meds since I was 36,to control anxiety.
I was due to have a well woman check at that time and nurse mentioned BP was high,go to GP and get it checked.
I have suffered all my life with anxiety and depression,although has only been recognised in the last 6 or so years.
I take a beta blocker which I have been on for over 22 years,and bendroflumethiazide,and more recently amlodipine.
Last year I bought a BP monitor and started to take my own,the first few readings where high because I was panicking about what would happen if they where high,but after a few days,my readings dropped to normal and I only check it every so often GP is happy to take my readings and I know what is normal for me and if it shoots up for some reason would then see GP.

Anya Wed 29-Jul-15 14:41:17

It's just as well the dentist doesn't take BP readings. I'm sure mine would be sky high when I visit.

NanaDenise Wed 29-Jul-15 14:57:06

Had really high blood pressure for years which is usually contolled by pills. The practice nurse says to me before she takes my BP, 'Don't cross your legs and don't talk' and that usually does the trick.

I also monitor mine at home when I think about it. Its usually OK. The last high reading I had, I had just had a cup of caffeinated coffee at the cafe just round the corner from the doctor. Next time I had my coffee afterwards!

KatyK Wed 29-Jul-15 15:54:24

It's not easy with BP. About 10 years ago I had a well woman check at a local NHS walk in centre during my lunch break from work. When the nurse took my BP she looked panic stricken. I had never had high BP (apart from when I was pregnant). The nurse asked what I was doing for the rest of the day and I told her I was going back to work. She said I was to go directly to the doctors as she had rarely had anyone with such high BP. I was terrified. I got an appointment with the doctor, who didn't seem unduly concerned. She signed me off work for a week to relax! Relax!! I was waiting for the imminent stroke or heart attack. I went back to see her after a week and it was still high so I have been on 2 meds ever since with no side effects and I take my own BP on a machine and it's always fine. However, when I occasionally go to the surgery to have it checked it goes through the roof. The nurse also calls this 'white coat hypertension'. I also think they move the goal posts as to what is high and what isn't. My original reading all those years ago was 208/110 shock I'm still here to tell the tale smile

Teetime Wed 29-Jul-15 16:07:35

DH has white coat syndrome as do both his brothers and not to put too fine a point on it they are the 'worried well' and get themselves in no end of a state about their BP. I am a retired nurse who has had very high BP for since my twenties when it never normalised after severe pre eclampsia. I am not very sympathetic about this worrying I have to say and not very sympathetic to people who tell me they can feel it when it goes up or rises as you can't. DH of course berates my for my lack of sympathy but has been a lot better about his problem since I made him read up about the physiological mechanism of BP as he wasn't listening to me when I told him. Now he understands how it works he is a lot less fraught.

tanith Wed 29-Jul-15 16:23:48

Thanks everyone for the advice , that was a fatal mistake on my part this morning saying my life is mainly stress free, OH had a screening scan for an Aortic Aneurysm this morning and has been diagnosed with a large aneurysm which needs to be treated that's done his and my BP no end of good...

thanks ladies I'll try and keep us both calm while we wait to hear what happens now.

janeainsworth Wed 29-Jul-15 17:00:34

What a good thing he went for the screening Tanith flowers

shysal Wed 29-Jul-15 17:09:26

Thank goodness for OH's screening, Tanith! Much better to know, and have it sorted.

I too have white coat syndrome. When I take my BP at home, the first reading is usually highish, but I do it 3 or 4 times over an evening and make a note of the lowest. I was advised not to take it after eating, and to imagine sauntering along a favourite sandy beach, which usually works. I hope you can prove that your results are normal.
My GP leaves it to me, because if she gets a high reading she is obliged to refer me, which would be a waste of time and resources.

annsixty Wed 29-Jul-15 17:11:16

tanith what a shock but at least something is happening quickly. We must all learn that life throws us curved balls. It is how we deal with them that matters. Very best wishes for speedy treatment.flowers

Luckygirl Wed 29-Jul-15 17:18:46

I am so pleased that your OH went for screening and that he has a diagnosis and treatment is in the pipeline. I am not surprised that your BP is up at the moment. I do hope that the treatment will be forthcoming quickly; and that you manage to successfully bring down your BP.

Alea Wed 29-Jul-15 17:47:31

Tanith your DH has been so lucky to have this seen in time. DH's was spotted as part of checks before a routine colonoscopy where atrial fibrillation registered, and led to an echocardiogram. His had passed the size where they need to take action and being just "North" of his heart had also damaged the aortic valve. Surgery a week later sorted the problem.
It was beginning to tear.

midgey Wed 29-Jul-15 18:59:35

Have to say Teetime that I usually know when my boyfriend is up..... can't feel like but my temper and behaviour is a pretty good clue!

Lona Wed 29-Jul-15 19:11:55

Tanith flowers for you and your husband. Hope he gets sorted asap.

Bellanonna Wed 29-Jul-15 19:17:04

How weird midgey
Tanith - all best wishes for your husband, thank goodness it was discovered flowers

annodomini Wed 29-Jul-15 20:05:10

I had a BP check last week with one of the practice nurses. It's getting back to normal, having been up and down while I've been on steroids. She gave me a print-out of my BP chart and significantly there is a huge spike in June 2011 when I was first diagnosed with PMR and put on 20mg of prednisolone. I have rejected doctors' tentative suggestions of medication because I was always sure that it was the steroids that were causing the rise. I think I've been proved right.

hildajenniJ Wed 29-Jul-15 20:51:57

DH has hypertension which his GP didn't want to treat with medication. He was told to cut out pastry, red meat, and processed meat products from his diet. She told him to see her again in three months, which is almost up. He is refusing to go. I think I will have to make the appointment for him myself.

tanith Wed 29-Jul-15 20:57:06

Thankyou all for your good wishes OH just wants to carry on as normal until we get an app and see how the land lies..

midgey Wed 29-Jul-15 21:06:47

Oops....I definitely did not type boyfriend!,,,,, Blood Pressure !

Bellanonna Wed 29-Jul-15 21:39:24

Midgey that's really funny! Blooming predictive typing! Or was it a Freudian slip ??