Gransnet forums

Health

Wearing out of joints

(45 Posts)
soontobe Mon 03-Aug-15 08:56:31

As a society, do we give enough thought to this?

There is a article today that says a woman has to have major surgery on her jaw, because she chewed gum for 7 hours a day, and has worn out her joints in her jaw.

I see many older people around me having knee and hip replacements.

Now that we are living older, should we give more thought to not wearing out our joints so fast?
We are encouraged to exercise, but can too much of it be bad for us?

My husband has worked long hours in a manual job, and was told by his doctor that his joints are wearing out too fast.

It just strikes me that we dont consider this health aspect much, and perhaps we should.

Lona Mon 03-Aug-15 09:00:14

What do you suggest stb? Lying around all day like a couch potato?

shysal Mon 03-Aug-15 09:14:10

I do wonder whether years of pounding hard pavements when jogging, until the age of about 60, are responsible for my aching hips.
I have read that the use of walking poles gives a few more years of life to knees, but I only use them off road, as I feel a bit on a 'nana using them in the street.
Of course we are all different, so I just enjoy an active life and hope for the best.

soontobe Mon 03-Aug-15 09:18:07

I dont have all the answers.

I am wondering though, whether, when we have health warnings about all sorts, why this never seems to be a health warning?

I know someone in her 70s who gos up her stairs on her hands and knees, to save her knee joints further wear and tear.
I cant decide if she is being sensible or not.

annodomini Mon 03-Aug-15 09:25:39

How would you explain, soon the undoubted fact that my right hip wore out while my left hip was still healthy? I didn't do all my exercise hopping on my right foot.

Lona Mon 03-Aug-15 09:32:02

I've nearly always had jobs where I was on my feet all day, and now I have bad knees. Whatever the reason, our bodies wear out eventually and as everyone is different, it happens differently to us all.
Knowing that wearing high heeled winkle pickers would ruin my feet, didn't stop me wearing them when I was young and foolish though!

Life eh? grin

vampirequeen Mon 03-Aug-15 09:38:28

A colleague took up jogging when he reached 40 because he was afraid he'd get middle aged spread. He took it to the extreme and ended up doing marathons. By 45 his knees, ankles and hips were a mess but he was hooked so simply carried on with the aid of painkillers and physio. He was told that his joints were wearing out as the human body isn't designed for the amount of running on hard surfaces that he was doing.

Tegan Mon 03-Aug-15 09:43:38

I damaged my jaw by chewing gum when I was trying to give up smoking. Had no idea what harm I was doing to it. It's ok now but it scared me witless at the time [kept dislocating shock]. Dentist later told me that chewing gum was bad for you but never told me beforehand [think it's one of the reasons why we should keep our moth closed when chewing]. As for my knees; they're beyond help and I'm sure it's down to the fact that I have always walked so much. Although, as with most things some people are more prone to joint problems that others.

Luckygirl Mon 03-Aug-15 09:44:07

I have always thought that sport and exercise were a double-edged sword. Most exercise involves repetitive abnormal movements, and as for tennis players - their one shoulder/arm must be under constant stress.

ninathenana Mon 03-Aug-15 10:00:32

Doesn't explain my neck/shoulder on one side and elbow on the other and no I've never played tennis. smile

Alea Mon 03-Aug-15 10:26:17

I may be speaking out of turn but am I right in thinking you once commented Soontobe that you didn't know joints could wear out? It was a thread a few months back, but I can't find an exact reference. I think you were talking about stairs/knees/bungalows.
Just wondering if this is a health issue which is featuring in your life or someone in your family. If so, there is a wealth is experience on GN and most of your questions can be answered!

Alea Mon 03-Aug-15 10:26:58

" wealth OF experience"

soontobe Mon 03-Aug-15 10:43:07

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/a1212084-Hips-and-knees-mainly-knees

I learnt the phrase bungalow knees.

I have increased my exercise a bit since then.
But also since then, my husband has been told his joints are wearing out too quickly, and they are not keen to replace them at this stage - age 54. Presumably because if he carries on as he is, he will need further replacements when he is older.

merlotgran Mon 03-Aug-15 10:53:41

I think it's our muscles we need to worry about. I've had problems with my knees most of my adult life but because I was fit and active I could more or less do everything including being on my feet all day at work. I didn't realise how quickly I would lose muscle tone once I retired and didn't have to climb stairs every day and walk along corridors/more stairs etc., etc. We live in a bungalow and although I still have an active life and work very hard on our two acres of land, the damage to my knees now affects my life and I struggle with even a small flight of stairs.

My GP has implored me to excercise my quads but I'm a bit naughty on that front, preferring to be out in the garden.

My paternal grandmother suffered badly with arthritis but my maternal grandmother was running up and down stairs into her nineties.

I know which set of genes I've inherited sad

Nelliemoser Mon 03-Aug-15 11:05:10

I think there is a lot of luck with regard to painful joints. I suspect people can be more or less likely to get osteoathritis depending on your genes.

My thumbs are painfully knackered to the point where I can't do things I enjoy such as knitting at the moment.
My mum had similar problems she did alot of sewing for many years.

Arthritic bone spurs on my shoulders have damaged the tendons. I have never seriously played tennis.
My lower back is very arthritic following an old injury.
So far hips and knees are functioning, right now the rest of me feels like S**t.

Alea Mon 03-Aug-15 11:57:02

sadfor you Nelliemoser flowersflowers

Teetime Mon 03-Aug-15 12:10:33

I agree with Nellie its the luck of the draw. My mother had RA but wouldn't take any exercise to try and help herself. I have Lupus which attacks connective tissue and OA on top but nursing damaged my spine anyway, DD1 has Psoriatic Arthritis and wont exercise. DD2 has some feet and knee damage but wont stop running long distances. MIL is 102 and has no arthritis at all - but then she's in league with the devil. Her son DH is 70 next year has always done lots of sports and shows no sign of damage either- its all in the genes. We are a lot better looking and cleverer than DH and MIL though. [smile}

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Aug-15 12:39:38

I agree with merlot that it's muscles that are all-important.

merlot - which are your quads and how did your doc tell you to exercise them?

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 03-Aug-15 12:46:44

It's ok merlot. Just looked up quads, and exercises for them. I think my quads are going to have to look after themselves. [sigh]

bonji Mon 03-Aug-15 13:23:36

I am now 68 and have done some sort of sport all my life - athletics, cycling, badminton and general running. Pregnancy excepted I have never weighed more than 8 stone but now have limited movement and have to have both hips replaced so do feel you just can't win on this one. However my mum had bad osteoarthritis so it could just be in the genes - no one seems to know the answer. I wish they did as both my daughters have also always been involved in sport so really hope they don't have a joint problem later in life.

tanith Mon 03-Aug-15 13:46:51

To keep excercising withe O/A you need to do more non-weight bearing excercising, such as cycling and swimming this minimises further joint damage but excercises muscles and tendons.
Also walking is much better than jogging or running if you already have damage. Don't stop, just pick less damaging ways to excercise.

merlotgran Mon 03-Aug-15 14:49:47

I find the exercises as boring as hell, jingl I've been instructed to sit upright on the bed with legs outstretched, strap a bag of sugar to my ankle and lift the leg up and down twenty times- then do the other leg. It's not difficult and I'm sure it's doing some good but I just CBA. hmm

Tegan Mon 03-Aug-15 16:19:48

'MIL is 102 and has no arthritis at all - but then she's in league with the devil' grin. If only the NHS could bottle what it is she has, it would save the country a fortune.

soontobe Mon 03-Aug-15 16:25:20

Does she do anything different like rub in oils, or eat loads of something or other that she swears by?

Anya Mon 03-Aug-15 16:44:29

Goog genes.