Gransnet forums

Health

UTI won't go away

(64 Posts)
Sillyoldbird Sun 23-Aug-15 12:49:52

Hi there
I wondered if anyone has had problems with a UTI that won't go away? I developed symptoms at the beginning of August but left it a week or so before going to GP as I thought it would clear on its own. GP did urine test which showed infection and trace of blood and prescried anti-biotic which cleared it straight away - but 2 days later it was back.
I went back to Gp a few days later expecting he would prescribe the same again but for a longer period, but I ended up with different ones. I've been taking these for two days and nothings happening - except for a raging headache and dizzy/queezy feeling. I still have 5 days supply left but am thinking of going back to GP. We're off on holiday in a week and I don't fancy being in pain and constant trips to loo while there. Any advice appreciated. Thanks in anticipation

janeainsworth Sun 23-Aug-15 12:53:39

Go back to your GP, Sillyoldbird.
Drink plenty of water too.

Sillyoldbird Sun 23-Aug-15 13:00:52

Thanks janeainsworth. I have been drinking loads of water - which obviously makes me want to wee and I've been going constantly this morning. Hate going to GP but sure the first antibiotics were better and I just needed them for longer. No side effects either.

I am real worrier about health matters so the sooner it's gone, the better. Not used to getting UTIs either so all new to me.

ninathenana Sun 23-Aug-15 13:02:37

Definitely go back to your GP as the current antibiotics aren't working and obviously don't suit you. Maybe ask the GP to test for the most suitable ones.
A friends DD had three courses of different antibiotics before her UTI cleared.

Sillyoldbird Sun 23-Aug-15 13:09:38

Thanks ninathenana I will go back. GP had sent a sample to check for type of bacteria and said first ABS were suitable. Not sure why he changed them instead of prescribing more of same. But he's like Doc Martin - very clinical and a bit grumpy. Hoping to see lady doctor next time.

No1gogo Sun 23-Aug-15 13:17:59

My sister-in-law suffered with this problem for years, my husband read on the internet that lemon juice in water every day would help. It did help my sister in law. I think she used the juice of half a lemon a day in water. Worth a try. Also no bubble baths or soap in your "special places" Haha, reminds me what my mam used to call her vagina, "her secret place"

No1gogo Sun 23-Aug-15 13:20:03

smile

Luckygirl Sun 23-Aug-15 13:39:22

Has the GP sent a sample away for analysis so that the antibiotic can be tailored to the bug?

shysal Sun 23-Aug-15 13:42:15

There are a few fellow sufferers on GN, I hope they will be along soon. One of them recommended the following -
www.d-mannose.me.uk/
I tried it once, but I may have got over the infection without, so cannot comment.

shysal Sun 23-Aug-15 13:42:54

By the way, cheaper versions on Ebay.

soontobe Sun 23-Aug-15 13:44:26

Cranbury juice is said to help too.

soontobe Sun 23-Aug-15 13:47:08

Now read your link shysal! smile

Sillyoldbird Sun 23-Aug-15 13:54:52

Thanks everyone. Luckygirl he did send sample off for analysis and said first ABS I had were right for the type of infection. But then he went on to prescribe these different ones. It's very hard to get anything out of him but the bare minimum of conversation and it makes me nervous so didn't feel able to ask why he couldn't just have prescribed more of the first lot - which cleared things up within hours. It was a few days after I'd finished the course that it came back with a vengence

Nelliemoser Sun 23-Aug-15 13:58:09

I would always be very wary of relying on the manufactures own blurb about the effectiveness of any remedies produced by food supplement manfacturers.
Do try looking up any such product on an independent website.

EllenMay Sun 23-Aug-15 14:04:33

I can totally sympathise, Sillyoldbird, as I get recurrent UTIs and each time it usually takes 2 to 3 courses of antibiotics before it finally clears up. Unfortunately, once I am into the cycle I find that I just have to be patient and wait for the antibiotics to work, even though they make me feel rough. I check my urine every day and I know that if it is clear, the medication is working. Drinking lots of water and going to the toilet regularly helps flush the bugs out. You should contact your doctor to check that you are on the right medication and, as you are going on holiday, I would ask for a rescue pack of antibiotics in case it flares up again. If you are going somewhere hot, beware of the dangers of dehydration and drink more than usual - I would suggest aiming for 3 litres of water a day. For me, this has become a way of life and my main focus is on prevention now that I know I am susceptible to these attacks. Good luck with it flowers

TriciaF Sun 23-Aug-15 14:26:19

Definitely return to your doctor. if left too long the infection can go to your kidneys which is more serious.
I don't think doctors like to prescribe the same AB twice in a row as there's a chance of the bugs getting used to it then it will never work again.

Sillyoldbird Sun 23-Aug-15 14:45:12

This is a brilliant forum. Can't believe how quick you all were to offer help and advice. My sympathies to all who are plagued with bladder bother. shockgrin xx

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-15 15:25:12

I thought I had recurrent UTIs but with only small amounts showing on the dip stick. The Practice Nurse, who must have been sick of the sight of me, suggested that it might be vaginitis. The pessaries worked a treat and, so long as I keep using them, I'm fine.

Sillyoldbird Sun 23-Aug-15 15:34:03

Thanks kittylester. Pretty sure it is UTI as all symptoms consistent. I have bladder pressure feeling, frequent weeing and it's painful (but not burning oddly enough) to go. Wee was cloudy at first as well but that's gone now.

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-15 15:45:01

Those were my symptoms too Sillyoldbird. The bladder pressure was the worst but the pain on weeing was awful - especially at the end. Whatever the cause of your pain, you have my sympathy.

Luckygirl Sun 23-Aug-15 15:48:46

My friend has had a similar problem and eventually the pessaries for vaginitis worked for her.

numberplease Sun 23-Aug-15 18:32:33

For the last few years, I`ve had very unpleasant recurring UTIs, the doctor has prescribed several different antibiotics, only one of which worked, but only temporarily. I have now been put on Nitrofurentoin which works a treat, but it`s something that I have to take all the time, one each night, I had to have an ultra sound on my kidneys first, before it could be prescribed on a regular basis.

TriciaF Sun 23-Aug-15 18:49:01

I didn't mention before, but my recurrent UTIs were also due to vaginitis.
Since using a pessaries or a topical HRT cream I've been free for some time.
Sillyold bird - have you gone throught the menopause?

kittylester Sun 23-Aug-15 18:52:07

In my experience, vaginitis is not something that crosses the mind of your avarage male (grumpy or not!) GP!

Mamie Sun 23-Aug-15 18:54:43

I also had constant UTIs when I had undiagnosed urino-genital atrophy. Once I had a diagnosis and started on the topical oestrogen the infections disappeared.
As up to 40% of post-menopausal women suffer from this condition, it is worth getting it checked out.