Gransnet forums

Health

Pneumonia jab

(15 Posts)
Hotmama Sat 29-Aug-15 13:30:35

Hi ladies, I've booked for the above offered by my doctor's surgery. However, hubby and I are going on holiday abroad a few days later. Can I expect any side effects from the jab? Don't want to be ill on hols but don't want to cancel the injection as already cancelled twice!

whitewave Sat 29-Aug-15 13:34:30

Didn't affect me at all. The flu jab has done for the past 2 years though.

Gagagran Sat 29-Aug-15 13:59:31

It did affect me badly Hotmama I had a very red, hot and swollen arm for a few days and had to have anti-histamines. Apparently I have an allergy to the solution the vaccine is in and have been advised not to have any more jabs. I had the shingles jab in the other arm on the same day and that reacted too. I shall not be having the'flu jab therefore!

Might be just me - I react badly to insect bites and some cosmetics so it could just be my over-sensitive skin. grin

Charleygirl Sat 29-Aug-15 14:00:57

I had no problems- I think I was given mine about 3years ago.

annodomini Sat 29-Aug-15 14:03:44

No problems for me. It must be at least nine years since I had it. Having had pneumonia almost 70 years ago, I don't want to repeat the experience, though I know treatment has improved immensely since then.

Falconbird Sat 29-Aug-15 14:16:44

Gagagran - we are similarly allergic. I had two flu jabs with no problem but with the third I woke up with a swollen itchy arm, itchy throat, red lips and eyes and had to phone 111. Luckily I had antihistimes in the house. The docs say I must never have the flu jab again. sad

I am allergic to insect bites as well and recently had to ring 111 again when I had been bitten by midges. I had a vivid red rash all over my neck and chest and the itching was awful.

More antihistamines and a very good cream called Calamine and Aqueous cream which you can buy in the chemist. I keep it in the fridge.

Also allergic to any jewellery except platinum so as you can imagine I don't wear jewellery now. smile

Hotmama - you can talk to your doctor about your worries and he/she will advise you.

I've always been an allergic sort of person and suffered acidosis spots as a child if I ate any fruit such as plums or oranges.

annsixty Sat 29-Aug-15 14:35:27

No reaction here either and this year I will be able to have the shingles one so will certainly take the offer up. DH had his last year and he did get a few tiny blisters but we had been warned that that could happen so no concern.

susie511 Sun 30-Aug-15 17:51:23

I too had the pneumonia jab recently and, despite the nurse telling me not to worry as hardly anyone ever had side effects, I also had a very swollen, hot and "hard" arm for nearly a week. Since I have also always suffered badly from insect bites I am beginning to wonder whether I should have my first flu jab this autumn... I think more people react to these vaccines than we are told.

Katek Sun 30-Aug-15 21:22:50

It's a while since I had mine done but I can't remember having any adverse affects at all.

absent Sun 30-Aug-15 21:28:25

I have a particularly violent and painful reaction to sand fly bites which caused serious concern three years ago. I seem to attract all kinds of flying-biting things but other insects just cause standard itching and discomfort. So I was surprised by comments connecting allergies to insect bites with reaction to the pneumonia jab as I barely noticed it when I had mine, together with a flu jab, earlier this year.

dogsdinner Mon 31-Aug-15 10:44:36

Having never be offered either the pneumonia or shingles jab what is the criteria for them?

Bamm Mon 31-Aug-15 12:52:19

Was offered pneumonia at 60 but believe 70 is the age when shingles vaccine is offered.

daffydil Tue 01-Sep-15 08:21:48

Pneumonia is available at 60 I believe. Shingles is being phased in and depends on your year of birth. The receptionist at the G.P.s surgery will have the details.

annsixty Tue 01-Sep-15 08:41:33

Shingles, when first introduced, was offered at age 71 and 79. Last year my DH was offered it at 78 as we were told the age was coming down a year at a time. I am now 78 and hope I can have it this year. I will report back if this is not the case.

Hotmama Tue 01-Sep-15 13:47:59

Thanks ever so much ladies for your input. I think I will have the jab and hope for the best. Hope I don't get the reaction you had Gagagran you poor thing. I react badly to bites as well but having nursed my husband through pneumonia I think I'll 'man' up and keep fingers crossed. Thanks again for your input.