Gransnet forums

Health

Not 100%

(23 Posts)
NanKate Sat 29-Aug-15 15:44:28

Is it just old age catching up to feel just not 100%?

Just a bit slower, not quite so easy to get on my hands and knees and get up again, legs a bit heavy. I keep thinking I am coming down with a cold but I'm not.

I still walk every day and sleep ok. I also have an under active thyroid so am used to tiredness.

When I see others with arthritis, in wheelchairs etc I realise I am lucky.

I don't want to slow down at 68 so there. hmm

Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-15 15:48:40

Hows your haemoglobin? Could you be a bit anaemic?

whitewave Sat 29-Aug-15 16:03:39

Perhaps give supplements a go

NanKate Sat 29-Aug-15 16:17:04

Yes I have been anaemic in the past, so perhaps a tonic with iron in it would be worth a try.

Anya Sat 29-Aug-15 16:18:39

We're the same age NanKate but luckily I don't have an under-active thyroid. However my daughter does so I really sympathise with you.

She also suffers excruciating tiredness as she doesn't metabolise her medication well but has found cutting out gluten has helped. Drastic perhaps but if things don't pick up in a week or two then perhaps worth a try?

Anya Sat 29-Aug-15 16:22:36

Talk to your doctor first before taking iron supplements as there is a complex interaction between the amount of iron in your body and your thyroid function.

Luckygirl Sat 29-Aug-15 16:24:38

If you can get down on your hands and knees at all you are very lucky - as to getting up again! I could not dream of doing either and I am two years younger than you.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 29-Aug-15 17:32:09

I think it is old age catching up. Sorry to be a downer. I don't think there is anything to be done about it, except live with it.

whitewave Sat 29-Aug-15 17:38:43

Who can spring up from the floor when they get to our age?. All the umph has gone from my knees

PRINTMISS Sat 29-Aug-15 17:54:28

Do we sometimes worry to much about ageing, and not being able to do the things we once did? Of course we do, but unfortunately it doesn't help does it. I think if you feel really low then a visit to the doctor is the first option, after that try to improve your life style of you can, you already appreciate what you have, stick with that view. The old saying 'life is too short' becomes even more relative as we age.

Anya Sat 29-Aug-15 21:38:23

Yes PRINTMISS a life-time guarantee doesn't mean as much as it once did.

Teetime Sun 30-Aug-15 10:10:50

nankate there is a feature on todays news about the benefits of an afternoon nap. I wondered if you did this. DH is constantly trying to get me to have a proper one (laying on the bed) rather than just falling asleep on the sofa in front of the TV as I have chronic pain and tiredness. I keep promising and then find I'm too busy. It may help you though. flowers

merlotgran Sun 30-Aug-15 11:18:07

Come hell or high water, my mother always had an afternoon nap on the bed. She called it her 'ten minutes' but it was more like half an hour.

If I try to do that I can't function for the rest of the day as I sleep too deeply and feel groggy when I wake up. A ten minute nap on the sofa is all I need and I feel better for it.

DH can cat nap anywhere. One minute he's wide awake and the next he's in the land of nod. He's even been known to drop off during a game of Trivial Pursuit then wake up when it's his turn, blurt out the right answer then fall asleep again hmm

Jane10 Sun 30-Aug-15 11:30:11

I remember all my grandparents and older members of the family used to have a "rest" after lunch. Even my Dad used to have a nap before afternoon surgery. I found it very boring as a child but it was a great opportunity to wander about the house and track down any forgotten chocolate. its sort of gone out of fashion these days or doesn't fit in with busy working lives. The Mediterraneans have always had a siesta.

NanKate Sun 30-Aug-15 17:04:57

Yes Teetime I have a sleep every day if possible. I do put on the alarm for either 20 mins or 40 mins if I am very tired. Research has shown that if you sleep longer in the day you go into a deeper sleep and feel very groggy on waking.

I have in fact felt reasonably chipper today and went to a lovely Craft Fair and did quite a bit of walking.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

jenn Sun 30-Aug-15 18:24:13

it's the getting started in the morning that gets me...nothing seems to work smoothly and every joint feels as though it needs a spray of WD40( works on every other thing that is creaky). The morning dog walk is a must, not just for the dogs,it gets everything moving!
I don't notice the aches when I'm swimming or riding but half an hour in as easy chair and they all rush back and getting up is like being in one of those jerky old films with a soundtrack of groans .As for tiredness,a big yes when it comes to housework but funnily enough not when mucking out or grooming or riding.
Do what you can for as long as you can because the day will come when you can't.
Am I mad to think of going skiing for the first time at 64??

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 18:30:35

I'm 64 and wouldn't contemplate going skiing for the first time (as it would be for me, too!) simply because of the risk of breaking a bone.

I already have osteopenia and don't want to actively encourage more damage!

ffinnochio Sun 30-Aug-15 18:50:43

Having torn a hamstring tendon several weeks ago, I haven't been able to walk very much, which I've done every morning for years. I've certainly stiffened up and don't feel 100%. Am determined to get back to fitness again, as it's made me realise just how quickly one can loose that sense of well being. At the moment I'm feeling very stiff and blobby. So it's clear to me that the use it or loose it adage has legs!

jenn Sun 30-Aug-15 19:19:59

it's the fear of a broken bone that is making me hesitate but my 7 year old grandson and my daughter-in -law have asked me to go and to tell the truth I would love to as it's one sport I have never tried.I,m not sure I can trust myself to just watch for the week.

Ana Sun 30-Aug-15 19:24:13

I must admit I love the idea of skiing! smile

MrsEggy Sun 30-Aug-15 20:37:01

Please don't take iron supplements without a blood test. I, and many others, suffer from haemochromatosis, which causes too much iron in the blood. The symptoms can be very similar to anaemia - tiredness, dizziness and aches and pains in joints. It is often not diagnosed for several years.

NanKate Sun 30-Aug-15 20:42:00

Yes I will take your advice about the iron supplements MrsE. Having a few check ups soon so hopefully will be able to sort out if there us a problem.

Falconbird Mon 31-Aug-15 06:52:29

I realised I was getting older when my first grandchild was born. I was 61 at the time and thought I was A1.

I remember changing his nappy and my mind had completed the task with all the expertise of having had 3 children of my own. In reality I was fumbling about and felt slow and elderly.

Seven years on, I'm very careful not to lift the grandchildren, bad back, I have to concentrate 100 per cent when looking after them. I'm scared of falling in the shower or bath or tripping over a paving stone.

ffinochio - I tore a hamstring some years ago pulling up some plants. It was agony.

I guess I've accepted that at nearly 69 I'm slowing down. It's annoying and I do remember how I used to multitask, run for the bus and take my big (rather aggressive dog) for a walk. Now I proceed with caution all the time, don't like it but I guess it's a fact of life.

PS - I try not to be intimidated by some people older than me who are as "fit as fleas." smile