Gransnet forums

Health

Kind NHS workers

(10 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 09-Oct-15 21:29:08

My OH and I spent the whole of last night in A & E as a complication had arisen over his drugs which could have had serious consequences. He had some blood tests and we had to wait over 4 hours until the lab results came back and were just within safe levels - so we were able to go home - at 4.30 am - a 40 minute drive through the fog.

Every single person we met with during the whole of the night was kind, considerate, and reassuring and did their absolute best to make a difficult night as easy as possible. They were very busy but took the trouble to offer us a cup of tea and to return regularly to make sure we were OK. Hats off to all of them.

Alea Fri 09-Oct-15 21:38:31

Oh you poor things! I hope you managed to catch up on some sleep today? Why do these things always happen at night anyway?
We have seen a lot of A&E over the last 4 weeks and have found the paramedics and staff kind, friendly, patient and efficient. Not necessarily the same regarding some of the patients, but contrary to what I had feared, I saw no violence, drunken behaviour or abuse. Some patients were clearly very frightened and some looked as if they could possibly have seen their GP in the morning, but wrong of me to judge! Despite an ambulance twice and a bed in resusc once, DH looked too well to be there too.
Hats off to our NHS and for both your sakes, I hope you don't have to see them again for a while!
flowers

jogginggirl Sat 10-Oct-15 08:40:35

So glad you were treated with kindness Luckygirl especially at that time in the morning. I have found the NHS staff I have come across in recent weeks have shown extreme care and kindness to my very anxious 88 y/o mum - it makes such a difference.
Hope you and O/H are feeling rested now and have no more nighttime hospital visitsbrewcupcake

Lona Sat 10-Oct-15 09:01:29

I think most NHS staff do a wonderful job in trying times. I'm having a small op on my knee on Wednesday, and I chose to go to a private hospital near to me, on the NHS.
Yesterday I had a pretty op consultation with two nurses who spent ages chatting about the op, my health etc. So, so different to the NHS hospital, where everything is very rushed.
It made me think that if I were a nurse, I'd be very tempted to work in the private sector, where it is easier to give care and attention to patients.
sad

annsixty Sat 10-Oct-15 09:39:27

Is it the Alex Lona? I am having my eye treatment there, also on the NHS . Nothing but good to say about the outpatients dept. Our local hospital is a different matter and while I wouldn't question the treatment given I could not say the same about the service,the whole experience re waiting times and the lack of carparking.It has just been named as one of 5 "super" hospitals in the area and gets lots of awards and praise!!

So sorry Luckygirl for you and your DH, hope he is soon stable again and that you both catch up on your sleep. flowers

whitewave Sat 10-Oct-15 09:51:44

lucky you must feel like a wet dish rag this morning. Some R&R is in order. Hope DH gets well soon.

Lona Sat 10-Oct-15 10:04:47

annsixty Yes, it is the Alex, although it's reputation has gone down in the last few years. I have no complaints about Macclesfield hospital apart from the parking!

KatyK Sat 10-Oct-15 10:35:39

I hope he will be OK now. When my DH was having his cancer treatment last year, we met dozens of NHS staff at various hospitals. Without exception they were friendly and caring.

Luckygirl Sat 10-Oct-15 11:04:53

Thank you for your kind wishes - we have had lots of sleep and have caught up now and are relatively sane. It is good to hear that others have been treated with the same kindness.

Lona - I know Macclesfield hospital - my 3 GC were born there. I remember coming out after one birth at about midnight to find the world (and my car) covered covered in a thick layer of snow. I had to find my way back to my DD's home in Bollington, and was standing by the car looking puzzled, when two lovely chaps (brothers I think - they had been visiting a parent) asked if I needed help. I asked for direction to Bollington, and they said they would be happy to guide me there by driving in front of me. They were not going that way but just wanted to help. It does restore the faith doesn't it? smile

Lona Sat 10-Oct-15 14:25:09

Yes Lucky it does. I think most people are kind really, and that's just the sort of thing my kids would do for a stranger.
Hope your dh is feeling OK today.