Gransnet forums

Health

Endoscopy

(20 Posts)
petra Sun 29-Nov-15 08:55:52

Last Wednesday evening I had an Endoscopy. They told me I would be 'windy' for 24hrs. It's now Sunday morning and I'm still very 'windy'
How long can this go on for ?

harrigran Sun 29-Nov-15 12:10:59

Seems a little unusual to last this long. I had a colonoscopy yesterday and mine has dispersed already.

Charleygirl Sun 29-Nov-15 12:25:36

I agree, that is too long. Like harrigran after I had my colonoscopy I was fine the next day.

Alea Sun 29-Nov-15 14:40:52

I wonder if the prep (Moviprep or whichever you had) might be responsible for your insides being all over the place??
DH has an annual Cscope and is generally no windier than usual fine the next day.

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 14:58:46

Do you normally have that before an endoscopy? I don't remember DH having anything before his...

Alea Sun 29-Nov-15 15:30:12

To "clean you out" (TMI) depending on the time of the procedure, no solid food from 24 hours beforehand, clear liquids and water and then 2 doses of "Moviprep" or similar , one in the evening and one at crack of dawn during which time you really don't want to be more than 10 steps from a loo!

(The one time DH "cheated " because of a late lunch, they coudn't get a clear "picture".)

ninathenana Sun 29-Nov-15 15:39:43

OP refers to an endoscopy not a colonoscopy difference being the first goes down the throat and the other goes up the rectum.
So I would assume different effects from each

Alea Sun 29-Nov-15 15:49:53

Oops sorry, my fault for misreading! As colonoscopies, gastroscopies, and all other oscopies happen under the aegis of Endoscopy, I had jumped to the wrong conclusion.
Don't know why an endoscopy would cause wind though confused

Alea Sun 29-Nov-15 15:51:44

blush in mitigation, it seems harrigran and * charleygirl* shared my confused!

Anya Sun 29-Nov-15 15:54:19

Isn't there a northern phrase about not knowing your ........from your ......?

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 15:54:33

Perhaps the action of the tube going down the oesophagus causes air displacement and subsequent 'burping'?

petra Sun 29-Nov-15 16:29:43

Thanks for your concern, girls lol. All blown out now, thank god.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 29-Nov-15 17:03:38

Then it was the up the bottom one?

Ana Sun 29-Nov-15 17:04:32

No...not that 'end'.

harrigran Mon 30-Nov-15 00:06:03

Endoscopy means examination by endoscope which can be either. I assumed colonoscopy because of air being pumped in, I have had two gastroscopies and never had air pumped in.

ninathenana Mon 30-Nov-15 01:04:00

I was quoting Google sad

Alea Mon 30-Nov-15 10:09:29

Gastroscopy, colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, bronchoscopy, trans oesophageal echocardiogram (endoscopic) - DH has been there, done that and didn't particularly like any of them sad
Actually with proper sedation, the c scope is probably the least worst!

gillybob Mon 30-Nov-15 10:15:24

I had an endoscopy about a month ago petra and although the procedure itself is horrible (sorry if anyone is about to have one) , I felt okay afterwards although I do remember having a kind of an empty feeling in my tummy for a few days.

annodomini Mon 30-Nov-15 10:59:20

Air is pumped in for flexible sigmoidoscopy; not for gastroscopy. Alea, your catalogue missed out laryngoscopy which I found fascinating because I could see my vocal chords on the screen and the doctor gave me a commentary on them!

Alea Mon 30-Nov-15 11:21:11

Don't tell DH Anno he might feel he was missing out!! Yes, so far (!) he has been spared that one(but had the others many times).