Gransnet forums

Health

Benefits of exercise

(53 Posts)
JessM Wed 13-Jan-16 16:00:09

Inside Health on R4 - just finished but presumably you can listen via the web page. Very interesting on health benefits of exercise including for those with joint pain.

chelseababy Wed 13-Jan-16 16:18:17

Yes I heard it last night and also the repeat today. I have knee pain and am starting to have trouble opening jars, unfortunately it didn't specify what exercises to do.

TriciaF Wed 13-Jan-16 16:28:13

Walking is good - you get to meet some interesting people wink

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jan-16 16:41:53

chelseababy he said things like, leg raises, and weight training were good for muscle strengthening. And doing laps of walking in the swimming pool is very good. I would think anything that involves repetitive use of muscles, such as getting out of armchairs without using hands to help get yourself up would be good. (I just listened to it (thanks jess) but did doze off for a monte or two!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jan-16 16:43:34

Trouble is,, and something they never mention, is once you've done your exercise it can leave you too weary to do much else during the day. hmm

Ana Wed 13-Jan-16 16:44:28

These are good as well

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03dq2c6

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jan-16 16:47:00

He said walking is only of use if you do it briskly enough for it to be aerobic. I find that quite hard these days. Even though I've always been a very fast walker up until quite recently.

It's really not quite as easy as these young experts think it is. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jan-16 16:51:11

I can't do those squats! The scrunching sound my knees sounds too yucky!

Saw that programme Ana. It was good.

Teetime Wed 13-Jan-16 16:58:53

I didn't hear the programme but from all I have read about arthritis and the condition which I have exercise is not only a 'good thing' but a necessary thing. So I do various things to try to keep flexible and mobile but I have to say its not without pain - I don't mean the 'no gain without pain' kind of extreme but even gentle things are hard and very tiring. Got to keep going though - use it or lose it- most days I'd like to do nothing at all but I worry that I might end up completely stuck instead of temporarily stuck as I am in the mornings and after sitting.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jan-16 17:02:16

I have just managed to get up from sofa without using hands/arms. Took about six goes of rocking back and forth to get up momentum. But I did it! grin

tanith Wed 13-Jan-16 17:15:50

I am trying those excercises but my knees and hips just don't want to bend enough, I thought I'd see if I can improve my range of movement somehow I've not been able to squat for a long time.

Charleygirl Wed 13-Jan-16 17:20:45

tanith you have had a hip replacement- I personally would think twice about squatting.

tanith Wed 13-Jan-16 17:30:07

yes I guess you are right Charleygirl see how easy it is to forget grin but having said that I couldn't squat before my surgery either my knees just won't bend enough.

downtoearth Wed 13-Jan-16 17:31:01

chelseababy do you open jars with your knees....thats clever grin

Greyduster Wed 13-Jan-16 18:15:44

At my age, there's no pleasure in walking if you have to rush around like something demented, just for it to be aerobic. When DH and i were both working, we used to power walk two circuits of our local park in the early evening. This was not benign exercise as half the park was set in a very steep incline (they used it as a ski slope in the winter!). Whilst it had undoubted health benefits it was not pleasurable! A steady five mile walk, or even half that distance, including a few gradients and stiles, taking in what's around you, is good not only for your physical but also for your mental wellbeing. And as Triciaf says, you meet some lovely people! Mind you, some of the stiles are getting to be a bit of a challenge these days!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Jan-16 18:54:24

I couldn't run from cows anymore. [worrying] shock

Galen Wed 13-Jan-16 19:40:57

How many do you come close to in a week?

Ana Wed 13-Jan-16 19:45:31

grin

Greyduster Wed 13-Jan-16 19:54:46

I didn't think i could run from anything until two horses chased DH and i across a field and over a stile in the summer! If it had been the hundred metres hurdles we'd have won a gold!

GrafterPA Wed 13-Jan-16 21:46:18

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Tresco Wed 13-Jan-16 23:12:19

OK, a question for Alan. What are the best exercises for ligament (tendon?) pain around knee caused by twisting? Not arthritis.

JessM Thu 14-Jan-16 08:54:10

Here's a quick link to the relevant section. I think he was quite specific that if you are very weak you need to build up strength before even thinking about walking.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03fcfv9

chelseababy Thu 14-Jan-16 09:23:03

Thank you for the link I'll try to concentrate when I listen again. downtoearth I don't use my knees but I see what you mean ha ha!

MrsJamJam Thu 14-Jan-16 10:02:26

Our GP practice allows you to self refer direct to their physio which is what I have done for my dodgy knee. Think it is a tendon strain but thought it best to get advice about the correct exercises to do. When I first hurt it I did OHs knee exercises for a few days and that made it a lot worse! Anyway, have had to wait 10 weeks for the appointment, so self referral is not perfect (!) but at last I go this afternoon. So the inside health programme was very well timed for me.

Off now for daily walk with dog but cannot do that fast as it is very rough underfoot and last time I fell over I ruined my favourite pair of trousers and had to have my knee stitched back together

crun Thu 14-Jan-16 10:44:59

"A steady five mile walk, or even half that distance, including a few gradients and stiles, taking in what's around you, is good not only for your physical but also for your mental wellbeing."

I still walk 20-30 miles a week, but I've still deteriorated to the point where I struggle to get up from a squat and get out of the chair, exercise needs to be brisk enough to get any fitness benefit. The NICE advice appears to be a straight crib of the guidelines published by the American College of Sports Medicine, which recommend a minimum workload of 6 METs, or about 4.5-5mph.