Gransnet forums

Health

Help-very sore knee

(22 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 06-Feb-16 11:31:03

Should I put a heat pad or a bag of frozen peas on it? I woke up with it. I seem to have dislocated either the knee cap or ligament on outside of knee. Inflammation ++. Can't move without swearing and lunch out with DGCs looming. Any ideas?

phoenix Sat 06-Feb-16 11:32:18

Have you got any anti-inflammatory gel?

Jane10 Sat 06-Feb-16 11:34:38

Yes. I've slapped it on. Cat enjoying sniffing my knee!

Charleygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 11:42:38

Jane10 I do not think that you have fully dislocated your patella because you would notice that it had physically moved. I assume that a partial dislocation is possible but you would have been aware after doing some sort of exercise or had a fall. What on earth did you do in bed- turn really awkwardly? One cannot dislocate a ligament to my knowledge. It sounds to me as though you need medical advice, especially if you have inflammation ++ and are in such pain. Could somebody take you to an A&E dept?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 11:44:15

You have taken ibuprofen haven't you?

Charleygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 11:46:06

jingl one must be careful taking Ibuprofen because it interacts with some other drugs.

Anya Sat 06-Feb-16 11:47:31

Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate ....and take a couple of Ibuprofen.

Luckygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 11:52:28

...and see a doc, so you can find out what it is!......

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Feb-16 11:57:19

Not many. Especially on a one-off basis. Might get her through lunch.

trisher Sat 06-Feb-16 12:01:25

Try alternate heat and cold-damp flannel in freezer if you haven't a cold pack - hot water bottle for warmth. RICE as Anya says is best.
Good website- www.knee-pain-explained.com
Try to rest it and do moderate exercise

Gagagran Sat 06-Feb-16 12:03:13

I tore the meniscus in my knee when I was rushing to the car park ( ticket about to run out) and went down an unexpectedly deep kerb awkwardly. It sounds similar to your symptoms.Took best part of 12 months to heal. I recommend a tight crepe bandage and seeking medical advice asap.

loopylou Sat 06-Feb-16 12:26:13

A&E Jane10
You need a proper diagnosis and advice before you do more damage I'm afraid; the'll give you crutches too if necessary.

Lunch might have to wait, your knee's more important IMO.

Anya Sat 06-Feb-16 13:20:04

Please don't put anything hot on it yet,nyou could make it worse.

The hot-cold treatment is great when an injury is starting to recover, but you need to reduce the pain of the swelling. Believe me, I've had that many sports-related injuries, back in the day.

Jane10 Sat 06-Feb-16 14:53:07

Thanks very much all. I checked out the knee pain website Trisher recommended and worked through all the sections. Think I've worked out what's going and what to do about it.
No chance of Dr or A&E on a Saturday and Calcutta cup going on. Suspect they wouldn't be happy to see a Gran with a sore knee! I feel much better about my options now thanks to you all and will now do as you and the website suggested (except possibly losing a few stone!)

Charleygirl Sat 06-Feb-16 14:59:33

Jane10 if your knee feels as though it is giving way when you do put full weight on it that maybe indicative of a torn meniscus which should be looked at but not necessarily this weekend.

I agree, it is rather difficult to lose even a few pounds between now and Monday, never mind stones. We are not all like stick insects.

Jane10 Sat 06-Feb-16 15:10:46

It doesn't feel as it its giving way. Just pain and increasing stiffness. Suspect its osteo in its latest interesting form!

trisher Sat 06-Feb-16 15:50:12

Hope you get it sorted Jane10. I would see your GP and ask for physio. I did something to my knee (I thought) last year. Was in a lot of pain. The physio examined me decided it might not be my knee but a torn muscle at the top of my calf. Gave me exercises to do which really helped. Took time to clear up but it seems OK now (although the GP said there is some arthritis)
Sorry about the heat advice Anya is quite right I didn't use heat until a couple of days after it started to hurt. Remembered things wrongly. Hope it clears up soon.

tiredoldwoman Sat 06-Feb-16 16:21:10

My daughter's got bursitis in her knee just now , it came on suddenly just like yours - a bit achy one night then the next morning she couldn't walk . A and E sent her packing , hobbling back to her doctor , he advised rest and anti -inflammatories. It 's much better now ( after a week's rest ) .

TriciaF Sat 06-Feb-16 19:07:21

I agree with Gagagran - tight elastic bandage. Or you can buy very strong elastic joint supports.
But see a doctor if it doesn't improve.

thatbags Sat 06-Feb-16 19:19:12

Ouch! hope it has improved a bit through the day, jane10. Also, how did lunch go? wink

Jane10 Sat 06-Feb-16 20:45:12

It does seem better. I hardly have to swear at all when standing up. Lunch was a complete festival of mess! A 4yr old and a 2yr old and all that that implies! Good fun though and an ideal distraction. Thanks for asking. Will cont with Ibuprofen gel, tabs, rest (but still keep moving) and see how it goes. Think I maybe overdid things the day before it came on. The quality of the pain was similar to the flare ups I get in my big toe but felt different as knee's a bigger joint altogether. Toe already dx as Osteoarthritis. Glamorous disability eh? Old age. Och!

trisher Sun 07-Feb-16 11:44:03

Feel for you Jane10 when I had my bad knee I felt years older. Sympathise so much more now with all those managing long term illnesses like arthritis, it must be so difficult.