Gransnet forums

Health

Teeth

(26 Posts)
jerrym35 Fri 12-Feb-16 10:14:43

Hi Everyone,

My son is not get the brush please give me some advice.
How can I get my kids to brush their teeth?

NanaandGrampy Fri 12-Feb-16 10:18:58

In our house it's simple - I put the toothpaste on the brush , hand it to the child, put a song they like on my phone and they brush till its done .

And I stand there and watch every stroke so there's skimping :-)

jerrym35 Sat 13-Feb-16 10:36:07

Thanks for suggestions, i will defiantly use this trick.

kittylester Sat 13-Feb-16 10:42:46

confused

annsixty Sat 13-Feb-16 11:00:34

But how defiant will your son be??

Alea Sat 13-Feb-16 11:08:21

Oops half term?? wink

petra Sat 13-Feb-16 13:09:40

Buy him an electric one, they love them.

jerrym35 Wed 17-Feb-16 09:16:15

Is electric toothbrush is good for kids?

NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Feb-16 09:22:43

As long as they don't clean the dogs teeth or the toilet bowl with it I think they'll be fine jerrym35

Imperfect27 Wed 17-Feb-16 09:38:25

As a teacher I have run a disclosing tablet experiment with children to highlight how plaque stays and affects teeth even after brushing. Children that take part use a variety of toothbrushes at home. I have noticed with results that the children who use an electric toothbrush had worse plaque than those who use a normal brush. This could be due to a variety of factors, but I wonder if parents think that they have 'done their bit' by providing the electric toothbrush and then don't supervise cleaning properly. Just a thought, but I think it could be true ...

Bellanonna Wed 17-Feb-16 09:40:48

I spose you could try bribery jerrym35? Buy him some new plimsolls and then defiantly stand there while he brushes them. The teeth not the plimsolls.

Greyduster Wed 17-Feb-16 10:11:55

We have an electric toothbrush and GS has "gone off" it. He prefers to use the ordinary one these days - at ours anyway. He probably has no choice at home. I don't know whether DD supervises his teeth cleaning now - she probably thinks he's old enough at nine to do them properly, but I still do, especially the bedtime one. Fuss pot, me! From the start he had a problem with mint flavoured toothpastes. Even the ones that were fruit flavoured tasted minty, but DD managed to find one on line that was completely flavourless and he has been using that for years. The dentist says it's perfectly okay. I offered him soot and salt like his great grandad used to use, but he politely declined!

NanaandGrampy Wed 17-Feb-16 10:26:17

* Greyduster* I don't like minty toothpaste either and often wondered why someone couldn't make a chocolate flavoured one....probably defeat the object I suppose ;-))

Greyduster Wed 17-Feb-16 11:22:50

They advertise children's toothpastes as being this flavoured or that flavoured, but we've tried lots and they all seem to have a minty undertaste that comes through. And guess who ended up using the discarded tubes of toothpaste? I could use it for cleaning the silver if I'd known about it back then!

chelseababy Wed 17-Feb-16 14:14:02

You can get a free app for your phone which signs away for the required time. It's very annoying, though children might like it!

f77ms Wed 17-Feb-16 14:35:14

Jerrym35 , I am sorry but who is in charge in your house !! . Give him the brush and stand with him while he does his teeth . Tell him it`s not negotiable hmm

Indinana Wed 17-Feb-16 14:43:14

Why is anyone even responding to this post as if it's a genuine request for advice? It's already been noted that it's HALF TERM hmm

Imperfect27 Wed 17-Feb-16 14:56:29

Indinana can you please explain why this makes a difference? As a relatively new poster, trying to learn the unspoken rules of GN, the 'half term' phrase crops up a lot. Does this always mean you think the post is ingenuine / a waste of time? How do you know? I can't be the only one who is confused ... then again ... ? smile

FarNorth Wed 17-Feb-16 15:15:43

What does it matter if the post isn't genuine? It's a perfectly legitimate topic and people can talk / read about it if they want.

Elegran Wed 17-Feb-16 15:23:00

Imperfect It is noticeable that the number of spoof posts rises considerably when the schools are on holiday. There must be a lot of bored children out there who think it hilarious to get all us old biddies replying to their questions about what shoes to get for their fussy 11 year-old (funny how it always an 11-year-old - wonder how old the poster is hmm? ) or whatever daft thing is trending today.

Jalima Wed 17-Feb-16 15:27:06

We've had a variation on the teeth/dentist one in previous half-terms.

Just give him a trainer to gnaw on, like a dog chew.

Imperfect27 Wed 17-Feb-16 15:32:29

Hands up for not paying enough attention then - just read back - great picture in my head of lots of children defiantly cleaning their teeth now smile'

downtoearth Wed 17-Feb-16 15:47:29

can see a resemblance to the way the young man who kindly provided early morning entertainment yesterday was "speaking"..maybe English not first languagehmm

Imperfect27 Wed 17-Feb-16 16:15:26

defiantly grin

jerrym35 Thu 18-Feb-16 10:17:28

Thanks Friend!