Gransnet forums

Health

Fungal nail

(26 Posts)
Blodwen1910 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:40:04

3 years ago a 'funny' toe nail turn red out to be the dreaded Fungal Nail Infection'.
Doctor's prescription didn't work, and over time I have spent £s on 'over the counter' remedies to no avail. Some months ago the nail was eroded down to the nail-bed and I had great hopes of a new fungal free nail, but no, I now have another unsightly nail. Doc. suggests that I cover it with nail varnish, and the pharmacist said "T tree oil" daily. Any answers?

Indinana Fri 12-Feb-16 19:50:35

Oh how I sympathise! My DD had a fungal nail infection but could do absolutely nothing about it because the prescription drugs were dangerous for women trying to conceive, which she was at the time. So she had to ignore it for a very long time. By the time her daughter was born last June, the infection had spread to the other foot and she only had four nails that were unaffected.
She's been on medication prescribed by her GP for about 6 months now, and her nails are gradually clearing, with fungal free nails growing up from below.
I would be inclined to go back to your GP - it may be that there is something else that can be prescribed. I wonder if the medication you had before was the same as my DD is taking? I can ask her what it's called and PM you if you like.

Ana Fri 12-Feb-16 20:17:54

I had this some years ago on my big toenail. My GP prescribed some brush-on stuff and warned me it would take a while to solve the problem.

It certainly did take a while - 18 months applying twice daily! But now problem-free.

Regalo Fri 12-Feb-16 21:14:31

18 months Ana...oh no. I have had a problem for about 9 months and have booked with a chiropodist....would my GP be a better bet? My whole nail is horrible and coming away from the nail bed...yuk!

Ana Fri 12-Feb-16 21:21:48

Oh dear, mine was never that bad Regalo but the chiropodist will probably be able to advise you - they must see fungal infections all the time.

Treebee Fri 12-Feb-16 22:11:22

My GP stopped prescribing me the fungal nail drug, don't know the name, as he was concerned it would damage my liver. He also suggested painting my nails to cover it up which annoyed me.
I tried tea tree oil and it did help. I also used a nail brightener made by Scholl, but it's hard to find now.
My nails are a lot better now, so these applications might have helped, or they just recovered naturally.
And of course I do paint them in the summer!

annodomini Fri 12-Feb-16 22:27:07

I have been using this Scholls product on my toenails and it has worked well so far. Are you talking about finger nails or toenails? I think it would work on either.

Ana Fri 12-Feb-16 22:33:41

Treebee, about 20 years ago my then GP did give me a course of tablets for a fungal nail problem and it worked very quickly.

I think it was about 5 years ago when I went back and asked for the same tablets but the new GP said it was no longer prescribed - hence the paint-on stuff which does work but takes ages...

phoenix Fri 12-Feb-16 22:37:39

Thanks for that anno it seems a lot more reasonably priced than some of the OTC stuff

Elrel Fri 12-Feb-16 22:40:11

Ana - I had the paint on stuff which worked gradually over many months. When my GP prescribed it she said 'We're not really supposed to but I will.' I didn't ask but assumed that it was expensive for the practice.

Synonymous Sat 13-Feb-16 00:19:45

Blodwen sorry to hear about your collision with the dreaded fungal infection.
DH kept getting fungal infection in his big toe nail, had prescription from the GP but it was only effective the first time and when he got it again it did nothing. They really don't like prescribing these anti-fungal drugs because they are very bad for your liver. DH had to have regular blood tests to check his liver function.
I am very into Essential Oils for many health issues because they are gentle on the body and they have been the only thing that has truly worked. I have mainly used Tea Tree Oil and it has taken about 6 months to get a clear sign that it is working. I continue to put one drop into his nail bed morning and night, soak his feet weekly and clean out as much as possible whilst it is softened. We are winning!
Do note that not all Essential Oils are created equal. PM me if you want any further information.

rubylady Sat 13-Feb-16 02:20:54

I've had it now for about 20 years, now in various nails. Big toes are scabby and flakey, next toenail is huge and thick and crusty and odd ones in various state of disrepair. I got some tablets once from docs but they turned my wee green, so stopped taking them pretty swiftly!

I have got the brush on stuff too before but haven't had it for some time now because I can't get to them the same due to back pain. I am going to have to go to chiropodist and sort it, put another problem on the list. [groan]

campodol Sat 13-Feb-16 23:15:50

this may sound crazy but it works .....listerine mouthwash.....it is also the only thing that helped my DH when he was suffering from shingles ....wonderful stuff .....hope it works for you too

Welshwife Sat 13-Feb-16 23:30:02

I suffer from this toenail business too - but I now realise nothing like as badly as some of you. I bought some stuff called Curanail - suggested by the podiatrist. It is expensive - I paid something like £18 for a small bottle but it does last ages - I also file the surface of the whole nail with a metal file -(another podiatrist tip) and paint it over that - one toenail is now free of it and the other is greatly improved - nothing like so thick. The new nail whil h has grown is smooth also.
I have seen that tip about Listerine and thought about trying it if I get the problem again.

Greyduster Sun 14-Feb-16 09:38:05

I actually noticed this in my big toe a few days ago; it looked horrible, and have been putting the Canestan cream on it that DH got for athlete's foot! It seems to have improved it to some extent. I have read that tea tree oil is effective, but the Listerine is an interesting one! How do you use it?

TriciaF Sun 14-Feb-16 09:46:54

I've just started with it on a big toe as well.
As rubylady says, another problem on the list. Off to the pharmacy tomorrow.

annodomini Sun 14-Feb-16 10:35:22

At one point I was using teatree oil, until I overheard someone in the queue at the supermarket commenting that she could smell teatree. I didn't want to be so conspicuous; so I tried Vicks which seemed to help, but then one big toenail fell off as I was sunning myself by the pool on holiday. That looked really gross! So it's the Scholls product mentioned up-thread and I'm in it for the long haul - it really does take time.

etheltbags1 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:58:14

where do you put the lysterine, is it on the toe or in your mouth. if on the toe will it sting. Ive got one and nothing will shift it.

campodol Sun 14-Feb-16 12:07:32

hi ethelbags, i just paint it on the nail then soak a piece of cotton wool and leave it on a while, its never stung me but maybe yours is worse ,hope not good luck everyone smile

Bellanonna Sun 14-Feb-16 13:02:16

Ethel tea bags ! Glad to see you back again under your familiar name !

Badenkate Sun 14-Feb-16 13:08:19

I used to have it - nowhere near as bad as some of you! I asked the dr about medicine, but he didn't want to prescribe it because of liver problems. However, about 6 years ago I had both my feet operated on for bunion problems - and I haven't had any problem since! I do appreciate this is rather a drastic solution....

stillhere Sun 14-Feb-16 15:25:50

I have one, my big toe. I used curanail for quite a while but it didn't shift it fully. I finally gave in as it was spreading to other nails, despite the care I was taking, and asked my stepfather (a chiropodist), and he said to rub in Lamasil Once around and under all my nails and between my toes after every shower. A year later and it is finally clearing up. It's a slow process - but then toenails don't grow out very fast.

Leticia Sun 14-Feb-16 16:46:32

I paint on something called excilor, it cost £20 but is working. I have been doing it for 16 days and it has almost gone.

Treebee Sun 14-Feb-16 19:36:30

www.amazon.co.uk/Scholl-Footcare-Healthy-Brightening-System/dp/B001BM2WFW This is what I used, but it looks like it's no longer available, shame.

NfkDumpling Sun 14-Feb-16 19:45:23

I've tried tea tree oil and am now trying Argon oil which was recommended. Both seems to help but not cure it. I think it just smothers the infection. Listerine sounds interesting and it's quite strong stuff. I think I'll give it a go.

I did read somewhere that Listerine was first developed as a sink cleaner - and it does clean sinks brilliantly!