Gransnet forums

Health

Indigestion

(206 Posts)
nannybob Fri 12-Feb-16 22:10:13

Does anyone else suffer from indigestion?

harrigran Fri 12-Feb-16 22:37:18

I did for 35 years, seems to have eased since having a length of bowel removed. I would try Gaviscon first, my treatment was a bit extreme grin

nannybob Fri 12-Feb-16 22:41:24

Thanks harrigran. Just getting a little concerned had it continuous now for a year some days so bad I think it is my heart. I have had an endoscopy ultrasound and chest xray all ok. I am on lanzaprozole at present which helps but not enough

harrigran Fri 12-Feb-16 22:48:00

I had two endoscopies, first one showed no abnormality and the second a hiatus hernia. I took Lansoprazole for years but it was no more effective than the Gaviscon. It was only when I had a colonoscopy that we got to the bottom of it if you will pardon the pun.

phoenix Fri 12-Feb-16 23:05:12

Might it be worth keeping a sort of food diary, just to see if there is any particular type of food that triggers it or makes it worse?

nannybob Fri 12-Feb-16 23:10:35

Had a colonoscopy 3yrs ago all normal. Doctor thinks I should have another endoscopy just a bit worrying all these tests you think the worse . Pain is so bad at times and the burping is so uncouthed .

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Feb-16 23:11:36

I was getting a lot of acid indigestion. The doctor put me on 10 mgs Omeprazole which stopped it. I now get silent reflux. LPR. I rarely get acid indigestion now though.

nannybob Fri 12-Feb-16 23:14:00

Might ask doctor for that then jinglebellsfrocks

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Feb-16 23:16:55

I don't want to have an endoscopy. I really don't. #wuss

nannybob Fri 12-Feb-16 23:18:59

No jinglebellsfrocks they are not the most pleasant procedure but hey ho I suppose we have to grin and bear it.

Welshwife Fri 12-Feb-16 23:36:01

I have suffered with acid reflux for some years - endoscopy showed nothing wrong. The GP said to continue with Gaviscon and watch my diet to see what triggered it. I know if I have rich meal and get reflux I will have it for a few days whatever I eat or drink. Orange or grapefruit juice is always a no no. A couple if months ago I read that raw apples were good for reflux - deciding there was nothing to lose I started eating one a bit after a meal and one in the evening - 2 or 3 most days. I noticed a huge improvement.
When I told the French GP he said that when you chew the apple it becomes very light and floats on the surface of the stomach sealing it in a similar way to Gaviscon. He said to take Gaviscon and eat the apples was a far better solution than the Omniprazle as all those drugs do eventually do something to your intestines - he went into graphic details which I can only remember the gist of.
Also if you sleep on your left the stomach is in a better position than when you are on your right - I had discovered that for myself and once again the GP explained why that was.

nannybob Fri 12-Feb-16 23:56:29

Thanks for the tip welshwife will give the apples a go. Anything is worth a try as its agony when it starts

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Feb-16 09:05:36

I wonder who it's best to believe, your own GP, guided by NICE, or some remote French doctor. Sorry Welshwife but I think it's actually irresponsible to put that kind of thing on a forum such as this.

Tegan Sat 13-Feb-16 09:27:48

GP's hand omeprazole out because it's an easier option than monitoring someones diet over a period of time.

nannybob Sat 13-Feb-16 09:50:58

I do not understand why doctors keep giving me indigestion remedies when they are clearly not working. I need to get to the bottom of it because there is obviously an underlying problem and its I am at my wits end.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Feb-16 10:30:27

They prescribe it because, so far, it's a he best answer they have. 'They' are working on it. As I said it works very well for the he acid indigestion I was having. Nothing works for silent reflux. Doctors know this. Except of course for Nissen which seems to have a 70 - 90 per cent success rate.. (Thank you doctor Google)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Feb-16 11:36:21

nannybob I think mine is because everything is sagging down structurally on me. (there's nice) but you are not old enough for that.

nannybob Sat 13-Feb-16 11:46:17

What is nice? Jinglebellsfrocks . Also what is silent reflux?

harrigran Sat 13-Feb-16 11:50:49

I think a lot of the treatments for gastric problems are trial and error. Lansoprazole is a ppi which dampens the acid production, lessen the acid in your stomach and you struggle to digest your food. Less acid in the stomach also meant, in my case, I was more prone to tummy bugs.
Apple is long known to aid digestion, some suggest grating the apple.
Lying on your left side is correct, the way the stomach is positioned makes it more comfortable.
If you have had endoscopies and they show NAD I would go with a colonoscopy, problems in the bowel sometimes present as stomach symptoms.

Elegran Sat 13-Feb-16 12:30:47

I made a difference to night-time reflux. Tried extra pillows - I just slid down off them, or got a crick in my neck. The bed is too heavy for me to lift up the head to put something under the legs.

Eventually I got fed up of keeping Ranitidine and Remagel beside the bed - I decided to eat my largest meal in the middle of the day, and very little thereafter. No bedtime drink.

After eating, I walk for 15 minutes to help the food get digested and move on. If I don't go out I just walk around the house (gripping Alpine poles - not because I need them. but to make sure I keep walking and don't get distracted into doing anything else.)

I found one unexpected bonus - I have lost 4lb in as many weeks. I think it is because I am not all that hungry at lunchtime, so I eat less than I would have done at an evening meal, plus half-an-hour a day of walking must be doing some good.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Feb-16 12:35:01

grin Love the Alpine poles round the house Elegran.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Feb-16 12:39:56

nannybob confused The 'that's nice' didn't ^really mean anything was nice. It just mocking myself for, possibly, too much information.

Silent reflux is where you get aerosol acid, or even just fumes (!) coming up into your throat and mouth. It makes you cough and giv es you a nasty sour taste in your mouth pretty well all the time. The real name for it is laryngeal pharyngeal reflux. (LPR)

petra Sat 13-Feb-16 12:51:49

Nannybob. Both jingle and myself (and others) suffer from LPG (silent reflux)
You don't get the burning, but what you do have ( in my case) is a permanent sore/painful throat, earache, sometimes your teeth hurt, and now it's affecting my breathing.
You are continually clearing your throat. NO medication works for me. I've been on savage diets, nothing changed. I've had the cameras done.
Now I'm going to the Royle London hospital on 11 April where they will put a camera down for 24hrs to see what is happening. It's called a 24 hr ph Monertering system. I'm not holding my breath though, because as Jingle and I know, they are all in the dark on this one.
One odd thing that keeps coming up is: lots of people developed this after a bad viryl infection, which is when mine came on.

Galen Sat 13-Feb-16 12:55:54

Elegran inside or outside the house? (Vision of Elegrans neighbors peering out from behind net curtains at elderly lady circumperambulating a house for half an hour while firmly gripping a pair of tall sticks!)

Elegran Sat 13-Feb-16 13:22:00

grin Inside, Galen! Round sittingroom (anti-clockwise), along the hall, into study/diningroom, round table (clockwise) back along hall, round sittingroom (anti-clockwise) etc etc until hall clock says I have done 15 minutes. Alternating directions is to keep my cornering balanced, also it means I've to stay alert and go into autopilot.

Anyone passing along the pavement might see me pass the windows, but they are unlikely to hang about to see me going round and round and call out the van with the men in white coats.