Gransnet forums

Health

Re heated rice

(44 Posts)
Tegan Sat 13-Feb-16 23:03:33

I know we've had this discussion before, the result being that some of us won't ever re heat and some do. I'm one of the former these days [having re heated rice for many years before I read an article saying not to]. But I'm concerned that my little granddaughter [0ne year old] is fed re heated rice; once the rice had been left out after cooking for quite a while before it was put in the fridge. I don't want to make an issue of it, but it does worry me; I did mention it in passing no one listened to me.

Briwick Sun 14-Feb-16 06:14:29

I would not reheat rice at any time

Anya Sun 14-Feb-16 07:31:38

Don't just nention it in passing, it can pose a big risk. Perhaps ask your GD's mother or father if they saw that programme about the toxins in rice that survive cooking?

Indinana Sun 14-Feb-16 08:20:11

My DH does this al the time with leftover Indian takeaway, which he leaves out overnight before freezing. His response when I tell him how dangerous it is? 'Well it hasn't harmed me yet' confused I simply can't get through to him.

pensionpat Sun 14-Feb-16 09:11:11

There is a great cookery book called Love Your Leftovers by Hugh Fearnley-W. He stresses that leftover rice must be cooled and refrigerated quickly. My favourite suggestion is using it for egg fried rice. I've had it twice so far, once with leftover chicken. With soy sauce it is delicious and seriously frugal. I now cook extra rice so I have plenty of leftovers.

Greyduster Sun 14-Feb-16 09:25:24

I occasionally stir fry small amounts of leftover rice and also risotto, and have never suffered any ill effects, but I am the only one who eats it. I think the key to it is cooling it rapidly in the fridge. Having said that, it doesn't negate the risk entirely, which is why I wouldn't feed it to anyone else and never never to a child.

annsixty Sun 14-Feb-16 10:24:33

I have done this for many years but not with leftover rice. I slightly undercook, drain and then run cold water through it drain again and into the fridge all in a few minutes. When we are ready to eat it goes into the microwave for 5 minutes which finishes the cooking a and it comes out separate, fluffy and piping hot.

harrigran Sun 14-Feb-16 10:31:23

DH always buys more than required when having a takeaway, he thinks he will eat the remainder the next day. For years I have told him it is dangerous to keep and reheat rice, "never had an upset tummy from rice" is his reply. I refuse to eat the rice and bin it when I find it in the fridge. I think people find it difficult to understand that something as bland as rice can harbour dangerous bacteria.

NanaandGrampy Sun 14-Feb-16 12:17:24

Trust Me I'm a Doctor investigated this and found that cooked rice, cooled and refrigerated was safe to serve the next day.

I've always done it , and I reheat to piping hot so I'm not worried about it.

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 14-Feb-16 12:32:20

Michael Mosely From Trust Me I'm a Doctor says

The secret to reheating is to do it thoroughly. Most of us tend to use a microwave oven to reheat food, but there is a problem. A microwave oven will heat your food unevenly, leaving cool pockets where bacteria can thrive. That is why it is important that you take the food out, part of the way through cooking, give it a good stir, and then zap it again. Your aim is to get every part piping hot.

One food that people are particularly cautious about reheating is rice. As I mentioned above, most cases of food poisoning are caused by bacteria, but in the case of rice it is a bit more complicated than that.

Rice can be contaminated by a bacterium called Bacillus cereus. The bacteria themselves are killed by heat, but they sometimes produce spores that are not only toxic but surprisingly heat resistant.

This can lead to "fried rice syndrome", so-called because it was once not uncommon for people to get ill after eating fried rice at a Chinese buffet (where fried rice dishes had been left sitting around at room temperature for many hours). These days hygiene standards in Chinese restaurants are much better than they were.

Despite widespread fears, it is safe to reheat rice, and I frequently use rice left-over from the night before as part of a stir fry, but not if you have left that rice out overnight in a warm kitchen. As with meat, once the rice has been cooked you should aim to cool it and keep it cool as quickly as possible.

petra Sun 14-Feb-16 19:05:00

I've been hospitalised twice with that bacterium. Once in Tunisia and once in China. Maybe I'm susceptible to it. Or I was just unlucky.

Lillie Sun 14-Feb-16 20:32:32

At one school I taught at the children brought in sandwiches for lunch and one little Chinese girl used to bring in a tub of rice, obviously left over from the previous night's cooking in the take away. It used to sit sweating in her school bag until lunchtime but I don't recall her ever having been ill from it!

grannyqueenie Sun 14-Feb-16 22:01:08

Like you I've been very unwell too * Petra*, not something I'd want to repeat! I was in Africa with a group of friends, ate in many very basic environments and, thanks to scrupulous hand hygiene we were all fine, until we ate in a fancier place after which most of us were spectacularly unwell. I blamed the rice and from then on was very careful at home. One daughter who has done endless food hygiene courses for work agrees with me but the others are much more laid back, eeek.....I choose what I eat when visiting!!!

Deedaa Sun 14-Feb-16 22:25:48

I always cook more risotto than I need and reheat the rest next day. Sometimes I microwave it and sometimes I fry it up - haven't died yet hmm

Welshwife Sun 14-Feb-16 22:42:54

I have often wondered about this and more so recently as one of my step sons has married a Thai girl - she uses an electric rice cooker and leaves uneaten rice in the cooker and out in the kitchen all the time. She always cooks lots as she eats about six times a day.

Sapphyr Mon 15-Feb-16 09:53:06

Apparently, it's the cooling that kills the bacteria -
www.thehygienedoctor.co.uk/can-reheat-rice/

goose1964 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:58:54

it should be OK provided it's less than 24 hours old

Chris1603 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:59:13

We eat microwaveable meals which contain rice which is obviously being reheated after cooking? But if in any doubt about any food stuff I chuck it.

RobtheFox Mon 15-Feb-16 10:10:19

Welshwife (and others!) I have been married to a Thai for over twenty years and lived in Thailand with her family for long periods. They tend to eat at differing times rather than set meal tımes and the rice pot gets reheated often more than once.

harrysgran Mon 15-Feb-16 10:14:58

I always cool quickly refrigerate overnight and microwave until very hot on a high setting that's for myself not too sure about serving it to a young child but at the end of the day it's up to the parents.

Welshwife Mon 15-Feb-16 10:39:48

The same with this lass Rob - I cannot understand how she eats so much and is as thin as a rake! When she stays with me she raids the fridge all the time so difficult to plan meals more than a couple of hours in advance!!!! She can eat a whole pack of fresh prawns followed by a full dinner about half an hour later!
Another little quirk is preferring to do her washing everyday by hand - she started off doing it in a bowl outside on the grass but then I managed to persuade her that my small bath inside the house was better for her.

annifrance Mon 15-Feb-16 11:05:28

never reheat it. give it to the dogs cold next morning. otherwise the chickens - but even they don't get it more than an overnighter.

K8tie Mon 15-Feb-16 11:20:10

There is a type of starch called "resistant starch" which is " "a type of starch that is not digested in the stomach or small intestine, reaching the colon intact. Thus, it “resists” digestion. This explains why we do not see spikes in either blood glucose or insulin after eating RS, and why we do not obtain significant calories from RS." grin
There are 4 types it seems and rice is one of these.
"RS Type 3: Also called retrograde RS since this type of RS forms after Type 1 or Type 2 RS is cooked and then cooled. These cooked and cooled foods can be reheated at low temperatures, less than 130 degrees and maintain the benefits of RS (6). Heating at higher temperatures will again convert the starch into a form that is digestible to us rather than “feeding” our gut bacteria. Examples include cooked and cooled parboiled rice, cooked and cooled potatoes, and cooked and cooled properly prepared (soaked or sprouted) legumes."

I always cook more than I need [asda has a reasonable priced rice cooker] then I cool and freeze in little bags for use later. I too love fried rice with lots of end-of veggies lurking in the fridge, so these little bags are very handy.

For more info see the webpage re resistant starch.
chriskresser.com/how-resistant-starch-will-help-to-make-you-healthier-and-thinner/

netty024 Mon 15-Feb-16 11:54:18

A friend of mine ate reheated rice, (from a takeaway the night before) she was ill for two days after. Do so at your own risk!

Greyduster Mon 15-Feb-16 12:31:14

Before I got married, a friend and I ate at a very upmarket Chinese restaurant in the West End of London. We were both really ill afterward and the doctor said it was probably the chicken we had both had, but no-one thought about the rice. Who knows, perhaps it was that?