Gransnet forums

Health

B12

(8 Posts)
jsnar5 Fri 08-Apr-16 21:16:30

For many year I felt really tired and went to the doctors for help on a number of times and was told to exercise and loose weight. I am over my bmi but just by a couple of pounds so only technically overweight. I tried walking which started alright but as time went on I got more and tired and stopped walking to and from work and got back in my car. I know that this was not the best but things were getting harder and harder. I eventually went back to the doctor and was eventually was diagnosed with very low B12 levels. I thought that would resolve my tiredness after having the injections. In the beginning there were quite a number of jabs (can't remember how many) in the first fortnight, at the end of that although I wasn't quite singing and dancing I felt a little more normal. The issue I am facing is I can only have a jab every 3 months. When I have the jab it takes awhile to feel 'normal' and then about a month before I am due the next injection I feel so tired, unable to function. I went to the nurse yesterday with the hope they would still give me the top up but even though I said I felt awful they would not until I reach the 3 month mark. I have also been taking iron and B12 tablets every day but doesn't seem to have made any difference. Has anyone got any ideas?

Regalo Fri 08-Apr-16 22:01:10

Inhave had similar...and same experience as you as the tiredness just didn't lift. I have now tried putting myself on a liquid vitamin d and am cautiously optimistic that I am feeling less tired. Perhaps worth considering jsnar5

jsnar5 Sat 09-Apr-16 10:45:38

thanks Regalo, I am curious, why vitamin D?

Regalo Mon 18-Apr-16 21:19:39

Advice from health food shop so decided to give it a go...no other spectacular reason!

gardenermum Mon 18-Apr-16 23:21:09

Similar here - the last of the three months I feel I'm on the floor with fatigue, and this seems to be a common experience, but the doctor says regulations insist on three months between injections. It's likely that you can no longer digest the B12 in tablet form or you'd process enough from food not to be deficient in the first place. There doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem of the third month.

ElaineI Tue 19-Apr-16 18:48:24

In my practice we have some people who need the B12 jag at 8 0r 10 weeks. It has to be sanctioned by the GP but is possible. You could also have a blood test at 3 months before the jag to see if the levels have significantly dropped.
Regarding vitamin D - we get this from food and sunshine so if you have weather like we have in Scotland the sunshine element is seriously lacking! Though today was nice so maybe improving!

tiffaney Sat 30-Apr-16 14:04:51

This is pernicious anaemia, I've had it for 12 years and also have an injection every 3 months. Feel great at first and then after about 6-8 weeks I start to feel more and more tired and can't wait for my next top up. I've tried to read up about it as much as possible and I don't know if I remember it right but I'm sure I saw somewhere that the blood that circulates around your body replaces itself every 3 months. hence the reason why the injections are given at 3 month intervals. About 3 years ago I developed Atrophic Gastritis,a stomach condition also linked to Pernicious Anaemia. Does anyone else suffer from this?

ajanela Sun 01-May-16 09:18:17

My husband is being treated here in Portugal. After giving him blood and monthly injection he was stabilised and they are now 3 monthly after a blood test. If the levels dropped he could have more regularly. We do have the sun here which helps. I wonder if the UK doctors are following NICE guidelines rather than patients symptoms. Maybe a cheap winter holiday to sun might help. Doesn't have to be very hot, just sunlight and uncover more skin.