Gransnet forums

Health

Endoscopy, both ends

(44 Posts)
rubysong Sun 24-Apr-16 16:12:45

I will be having a gastroscopy and colonoscopy sometime in the next two weeks. Have any of you any advice for me in preparation? No horror stories, please. I am anxious enough as it is. Is there anything I should take with me or do beforehand (in addition to the 'clear out' medicine I expect to have.) It is to find out why I am borderline anaemic.

Deedaa Sun 24-Apr-16 16:19:48

I would just say that both DD and DH have had gastroscopys and both assure me that the sedatives they were given meant that they have no memory of them at all. DH has had several colonoscopys and found the laxative medicine the worst part. He hates being poked and prodded but found the actual procedure not too bad at all.

Hope you get some answers at the end of it. At the very least you should have a list of things that AREN'T wrong with you. flowers

aggie Sun 24-Apr-16 16:21:02

I had both of these procedures and it went ok , not the most comfortable thing , but not painful , but I opted for sedation and got through it ok . I had to have a scan after all that , but nothing too untoward was found . I took nothing but my Kindle in case I was kept waiting but wasn't

Charleygirl Sun 24-Apr-16 16:27:18

rubysong I have had a colonoscopy and I did not want or need any sedation because I did not find it painful. Mildly uncomfortable at times but that was all. I cannot remember the name of the baby lotion I bought to save my poor bot from going on fire but it did help.

How are you getting to the hospital? You will need somebody to drive you there and in my case, the fastest route as I needed the loo as soon as I arrived.

Sorry, I do not know about the top end. Good luck.

MiniMouse Sun 24-Apr-16 16:28:01

I've had both done with sedation. Didn't know anything about it during procedure. Only bit of advice - when you've taken The Preparation DON'T GO OUT !!

Good luck!

Jayh Sun 24-Apr-16 16:31:27

I had a colonoscopy recently. The worst bit is the fast and purging but at least you are at home for that and can treat yourself to something nice when you are allowed to eat again. The procedure was not at all painful and I was given a light sedative. I was very well looked after throughout. It really was an example of the NHS at its best.
Good luck with the procedures, Ruby, and here's to a positive outcome for you. ?

Alea Sun 24-Apr-16 16:34:35

DH has just had his annual gastroscopy and colonoscopy and admitted today he was glad that was over. He finds sedation helpful, has even been known to sleep through the whole procedure but this time,involving polypectomies and lots of biopsies was less comfortable.
When he is in the throes of the Moviprep, I try to cheer him up by saying some people pay a lot of money for a detox like that. Somehow it goes down like a lead balloon hmm

Grannyknot Sun 24-Apr-16 16:37:52

Hi ruby I've had a colonoscopy and I agree with mini above - stay close to a loo in the prep stage. I felt smug when I saw on my notes afterwards (I always snoop and can read upside down) that I had made their job easier as preparation was "excellent, with full compliance". smile

As for the actual procedure, I remember nothing (I wasn't fully anaethesised, but I was given drugs that put me into a kind of blissful twilight zone). I had the most gentle, wonderful Sudanese doctor.

I can honestly say it was a piece of cake.

Good luck x

Coolgran65 Sun 24-Apr-16 16:42:34

I have had both of these procedures done some years ago and I'm waiting on an appointment for an up-to-date endoscopy (gastroscopy) to be done.
They were ok and I did not have any sedation.

During the colonoscopy I was able to watch on the screen as the camera went up.

During the edoscopy I could feel it go down etc (without sedation) but knew it would soon be over. I could have had sedation at any point if I put up my hand.

Worst bit was the prep, 8 pints to drink..... flavoured vanilla.

rubysong Sun 24-Apr-16 16:55:11

Thank you all for those comments. DH will come with me and drive me home. I will be sedated. I haven't got a date yet but it will be in the next couple of weeks.

Charleygirl Sun 24-Apr-16 17:01:32

I would think that you should be sedated for the gastroscopy but with luck you will be in a twilight world. Good that DH is driving you there. You may feel a tad tired when you return so maybe something prepared to stick in the microwave, a bath and an early night. I am sure you will feel fine the next day. Good luck.

petra Sun 24-Apr-16 19:04:23

I've had both. Didn't have sedation for the gastroscope, same with the other end.
In fact the Doctor doing it had a very dark sense of humour about the procedure that it was as much as I could do to keep still. In fact the jokes still make me smile.

pompa Sun 24-Apr-16 19:18:58

"Endoscopy, both ends" Sounds like being prepared for the BBQ --- ouch.. {having sort of had both, I feel qualified to joke about it)

rubysong Sun 24-Apr-16 19:54:53

'Twilight world' sounds a good prospect, Charleygirl. I hope there are jokes to be enjoyed, it will be a test of my sense of humour.

Indinana Sun 24-Apr-16 20:12:25

I've had a colonoscopy twice and the only advice I would give you is that if you are given a choice between sedation and Entonox (gas and air), then go for the sedation. I had that first time (wasn't given the choice), and I was zoned out, perfectly conscious, but in a sort of blissful dreamlike state, with no sense of discomfort at all. In fact, I don't recall any sensation as the procedure was carried out.

But the second time I opted for Entonox, on the strength of the advice from the staff that recovery would be quicker, that I would be able to drive immediately etc. etc. For me, though, it wasn't enough, and the procedure was quite uncomfortable.

I was told that the sedation included painkillers, but the Entonox did not. To be honest, if you have the sedation rubysong, you won't be aware of anything much going on. And if you have someone to take you home and be with you until the effects wear off (not long). then I'd definitely go for this.

As for the prep, just stay near a toilet! I spent the day upstairs in bed with my Kindle and iPad, because we don't have a downstairs toilet shock.

Good luck smile

cornergran Sun 24-Apr-16 21:24:14

ruby I can honestly say my experience of colonoscopy was pain free and I almost enjoyed being able to watch the process on a monitor. The pre-process was uncomfortable, not painful. Stay close to a toilet and have some distraction available, I found Vaseline invaluable to protect my bott. The medical staff were unfailingly kind and did their best to ensure my dignity. Please don't worry.

rubysong Sun 24-Apr-16 21:42:42

Thank you all so much for these helpful messages. Indinana where you at Derriford? That's where I have to go.

joannapiano Sun 24-Apr-16 21:46:01

I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy 18 months ago as I had stomach probs for about 3 months. I sat in bed reading a book, ready for a dash to the loo, after taking the blackcurrant-flavour prep, the night before and it was OK.
I had sedation for the actual procedure and it was fine. I came round quickly and felt alright. I had a polyp removed from my bowel at the time, but it was non-cancerous.
I am having another colonoscopy in 3 years time, just to make sure I have no more polyps.
Make sure you have someone to drive you home.

Thebeeb Sun 24-Apr-16 22:01:15

I had colonoscopy and was unable to have sedation. I had the gas and air and found it a wonderful experience. Drifted off I don't know where!!!!! No problems at all. Had a cup of coffee and a sandwich and was off . Bit tender the next day but nothing to worry about. Good luck the thought of it and the day before is the worst bit.

Indinana Sun 24-Apr-16 22:20:54

Yes ruby, I was at Derriford for the second one just a few weeks ago. The first time I was at the Nuffield. Staff at Derriford were just wonderful, I can't praise them enough, so you have absolutely no worries on that score. They were cheerful, jokey and so reassuring. They really did everything they could to put me at ease and preserve my dignity. And what I was really pleased about was the doctor who did the actual procedure kept me informed at all times, and told me immediately afterwards that he could find absolutely nothing to worry about, just a few diverticula (which I already knew about), but of course the official results would be ready in a couple of weeks when tissue samples (he took six) had been examined. So I came away feeling relieved with very little apprehension about the biopsy results (which did indeed come back clear).
It will be fine, please try not to worry. But I know how you feel - I had a dentist appointment 2 days after the colonoscopy and for the first time in my life I had actually been looking forward to it, because by then the colonoscopy would be over smile. Good luck.

harrigran Sun 24-Apr-16 23:53:28

I have had two gastroscopies under sedation and they were fine. I had a colonoscopy a couple of months ago and the procedure was fine but the prep was not pleasant. I had four litres of laxative to drink and it was important to stay within a few steps of the toilet. I found Tena lady pants useful especially if you are not fast on your feet. I found these pants were reassuring on the morning of the procedure as it took quite a while to get to the hospital. I didn't have an accident but not sure DH would have forgiven me if I had on his leather seats.
After the colonoscopy I was absolutely fine, no discomfort whatsoever. It does take a few days for your bowels to get back to normal after such a thorough clear out.
Good luck.

rubysong Mon 25-Apr-16 13:05:36

Thanks again for all the information and good wishes. I knew the GNetters would be able to help. I feel less anxious about it now.

miep Mon 25-Apr-16 18:08:55

I also had both at Derriford; having made the mistake once before of "a little spray at the back of your throat, you won't feel a thing" (total bollox) I had sedation and never felt a thing from either end. The strawberry flavour stuff you drink doesn't taste much like strawberry though!

PamelaJ1 Mon 25-Apr-16 19:41:32

Had my colonoscopy 18 months ago. My picolax was lemon flavoured- once it starts there is no stopping. I always follow instructions so drank so much I almost drowned! I think it takes about 2 seconds for a sip of H2O to transit! I had a glass of white wine at "lunch" and for my supper the night before-it is colourless! I had quite a nice day the day before, you really can't do anything that takes you more than a few yards from the loo. I cut up the sides of my GS pullups to sit on -just in case and read a book.
On the day I decided not to have the sedation, I think that I have a fairly good tolerance of pain. The Dr. said they could give me some if I needed it, it works quite quickly, but it wasn't needed. It was pretty painless, you don't have any nerve endings in your colon(I believe) so any discomfort is like wind and is fleeting. Can't say it was the best day out ever but if I had to do it again I wouldn't be concerned.
Good Luck

Coolgran65 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:37:49

I also ha the spray at the back of the throat, banana flavoured, yeah, right. It was vile, like no banana I ever tasted !