Gransnet forums

Health

BP - How do you handle the pressure?

(13 Posts)
Molly10 Fri 29-Apr-16 18:24:14

G P's say that once you start taking BP tablets you are on them for life. Can anyone disprove this theory?
A friend's BP has recently increased again after many years on BP tablets with several increases along the way. She has a mostly healthy lifestyle with plenty of exercise. Hidden stress/anxiety would appear to be the issue along with hereditary factors maybe. Has anyone managed to significantly reduce or stop taking them through lifestyle changes or other means?
Your experiences maybe beneficial to her as she is concerned now she is near the top limit for the tablets and where does she go from here.

Mamie Fri 29-Apr-16 18:42:37

Yes I have been able to stop taking them after five years on BP tablets. I lost 3 stone (from almost 12 stone to just under 9 stone) on the low-carb way of eating and have maintained the lower weight for over 18 months. My doctor allowed me to reduce the dosage slowly over a year and my BP is now stable at about 110/70.

bikergran Fri 29-Apr-16 18:49:05

I was given blood pressure tabs more than 16 yrs ago(rampril) think 10mg(reason was my BP was over 200 that day and had palpitations, no idea why and abnormal ecg, was sent on treadmill etc)

took them up until the last 18 months coupled with simvastin 40mg.

reason I stopped taking them was, I couldn't afford the prescriptions.

I check my BP every few weeks and it does vary slightly but nothing unto wards.

I haven't started taking them again even though I am now 60 and don't have to pay for prescriptions.

On my 12 months health check up last October my Cholesterol had gone up ever so slightly, )the nurse said I should start taking both tablets again ( as yet I haven't)
can't say I feel any different.

Can't decide if to start taking them again, I may wait until my next health check I don't know. I have had a lot of family stress but my BP doesn't seem to fluctuate much.

In the last 18 months I have done a lot more exerciser (walking everywhere, since I had to give up the car) also I have eaten a lot less and don't have treats/biscuits/crisps etc etc in any more, although I do have best butter.

But each person is different, I think we are sometimes scared into "not" taking our medication, but it's up to the individual to decide.

granjura Fri 29-Apr-16 18:52:17

It is indeed possible for some- and Mamie you've done a wonderful job BRAVO. But for many, high blood pressure is genetic and not life-style, diet/exercice related- and then it gets more complicated.

It is totally unfair, a lottery- this genetic business. I am overweight but fit, and have perfect blood pressure, ECG, cholesterol, etc- genetically inherited. DH has inherited high blood pressure and other related issues- a lottery.

Mamie Fri 29-Apr-16 19:02:09

Yes I agree. My OH has also lost a lot of weight and has got out of pre-diabetes and off statins, but although his BP has gone down it is not enough to come off the tablets. He was diagnosed in his late forties with BP of 230/110. No apparent reason at the time, so presumably genetic.

GrandmaMoira Fri 29-Apr-16 19:16:28

I was on two different blood pressure tablets for over 10 years. Last year I ran out of one of them and did not take it for a couple of weeks. I have a blood pressure monitor at home so took my pressure twice daily and it was OK. When I reported to the GP she said it was OK to drop that tablet altogether. My pressure has been quite low for some time now.
Three years ago I retired, so much less stress, I lost 3 stone and exercise much more, hence my blood pressure came down. I'm hoping to come off the other tablet, or at least get a lower dose.

Lillie Fri 29-Apr-16 19:23:27

You're right granjura, and Mamie, it is totally unfair! In a bid to reduce my BP, for which I've been on medication since I was 25, I've maintained an average weight, never smoked, exercise two big dogs, have cut out salt and EVEN gave up my stressful job to sit in the sun abroad for several years. All to no avail. Nothing made any difference! I'm convinced I'm just going to blow up one day.

harrigran Fri 29-Apr-16 19:43:26

I had been on BP tablets for 8 years but had them stopped on the day of my operation and I haven't gone back on them. Initially my BP was low because of the shock to the system but it is creeping up again. GP says he will review again after chemo but I am hoping to avoid the statins as there appears to be some liver damage.

durhamjen Sat 30-Apr-16 00:29:06

Bikergran, you're back. Haven't seen you on for a while - or do I just not look at the right threads?
How are you doing, jobwise?

thatbags Sat 30-Apr-16 07:04:05

If your BP is normal or what they call 'borderline' high, the pills are treating risk of illness rather than illness itself. My GP wanted me to take BP-lowering medication but I decided not to for the reason given above. I take enough bloody pills for actual health problems; I don't feel the need to reduce what is already a small risk (because I'm not overweight, have never smoked, don't drink, exercise plenty) to a slightly smaller one.

Molly10 Sun 01-May-16 10:19:08

Thank you all for sharing your very enlightening experiences. My friend already feels positive especially with the likes of Mamie's response...well done that lady and Grandmamoira. Bikergran, it seems odd for the nurse to tell you to take tablets if the BP is not high, unless they are for another reason. I hope all goes well for you Harrigran and stay positive Lillie. Thanks all.

Thingmajig Sun 01-May-16 11:12:44

DH was found to have HBP at a general health review at his local uni when he was 50 (62 now). Still a bit high at his GP so then started on the downward spiral of pills, pills and more pills. The first one didn't agree with him but instead of stopping it the GP added in another ... eventually poor husband was on pretty much maximum doses of 3 pills for what was only ever a borderline high BP.

Anyway, then began the "fainting" episodes leading to every test known to man, abnormal bloods and general ill-health. GP still didn't see any correlation between the pills and symptoms and sent DH to a psychologist for stress! She at least stopped some of the pills and reduced doses of others.
Next was the tilt table test after which I think all meds were stopped as his BP was so low!

This year he was restarted on a different pill after his annual check and again felt unwell.
He seems to have a problem with exercise, in that when he does any his BP plunges. By exercise I mean something like gentle walking, nothing strenuous. Now he's back off the pills after being on them again for a few months and waiting for an ECG. hmm

On another note, the old mother was found to have HBP a couple of years ago and was so indignant ... never had any problems when she was having the 4 of us!!! Had to explain that things change over almost 50 years!!!! grin

MargaretX Sun 01-May-16 16:22:19

My mother had high BP since my birth -her second child. I have had high BP since the birth of my second child. My mother was not treated - there was no treatment and died in her early sixties.
I started with BP tablets at the age of 33 and am still taking them. A lot of people think that several tablets is worse than only one. That is not so. BP is now treated as if it comes from different sources and each one is treated. Although I take 4 tablets the over-all effect is easier and heathier for me than the one I took at the beginning.
I am not overweight so losing 3 stone in weight is no answer for me. I have my arteries checked by the optician and she said they were in good shape for someone suffering with high BP for so many years. That is because I took the medication other wise I would now be where my mother is.