Gransnet forums

Health

Placenta previa

(19 Posts)
Julie57 Wed 25-May-16 11:38:00

Morning everyone, my daughter is 21 weeks pregnant on last scan it showed placenta was partially covering the cervix. On sat morning she woke to a large bleed& went into Hosp. Baby's heartbeat was heard. So that's good. She was discharged on Monday & told to potter about but get plenty of rest. Yesterday bleeding had increased, she called Hosp & they said it could b that she's moving about more. ( she more or less sat & did nothing yesterday) As u can imagine in worried sick. Has anyone else got any info about this ????

Alea Wed 25-May-16 11:42:02

So sorry to hear this -hope she and you get the help you need very soon.

Luckygirl Wed 25-May-16 12:28:01

What a shame that all this is happening. Placenta praevia is such a pain. I am so sorry that you have this worry and hope that the outcome will be good in the end.

gettingonabit Wed 25-May-16 12:57:29

If she is still bleeding, and the blood is "fresh" I'd insist on a second opinion. Is there a reason why placenta praevia causes bleeding? (sorry to sound a bit thick-my daughter was born at 29 weeks due to placental abruption causing a bleed. That's a different condition obviously, but any bleeding imho should be taken seriously.).

May be worth trying over on the "other side".

Hope it all ends well.flowers

Luckygirl Wed 25-May-16 13:23:36

I believe that if it is only partially covering the cervix the placenta can move to a better position as the pregnancy proceeds and the womb stretches. But bleeding is always to be taken seriously and if she is worried at any increase then she should keep in touch with the hospital.

My DD had a bit of a problem with both her pregnancies as the placenta was very low - no bleeding though thank goodness - but the placenta moved gradually to a better position so she did not need a section.

I hope that she is well.

Jane10 Wed 25-May-16 13:27:10

Sending good wishes to you and your poor daughter.

harrigran Wed 25-May-16 19:05:00

One of my friends had a placenta praevia and when labour started it became an emergency because as the cervix dilates the placenta presents before the baby. She had to have a C section.
At 21 weeks and only partially covering the cervix, it has time to lift further into the uterus but I would still need reassurance about the bleeding.

Deedaa Wed 25-May-16 21:19:10

DD's best friend had placenta praevia with her first baby. She spent a lot of her pregnancy in hospital and went into labour early. She ended up having an emergency c section but she and the baby both survived. This was in the USA, I don't know if they do anything differently over there. She went on to have another baby with no problems at all, although she found it a bit odd to spend her pregnancy actually walking about.

harrigran Wed 25-May-16 23:29:05

My friend who had placenta praevia, with her first pregnancy, had an ectopic with her next pregnancy and lost a tube and ovary but still went on to have two more children.

Thingmajig Thu 26-May-16 00:37:18

I used to work with a girl who had this and she spent the end of her pregnancy (I think the last 3 months!) in hospital on virtual bed rest being closely monitored. She had her boy by C-section a bit early so he was small but well and had no developmental problems growing up.

I'm sure your daughter (and the baby) will be watched very closely, but there is still time for the placenta to shift into a better position.

Hope all goes well!

rubylady Thu 26-May-16 04:00:59

Julie57 Yes, she needs to thoroughly rest. Feet up, doing nothing apart from daytime tv and magazines and pampering. It is important. Please get her to rest totally. Sending best wishes. X

colournanny Thu 26-May-16 07:33:37

Thank you everyone. It does seem that if she does nothing bleeding is reduced.

2much2say Thu 26-May-16 07:49:54

From my experience of placenta previa decades ago this should not be taken lightly, especially when bleeding.
I was taken into hospital for bed rest and observation at 30 weeks as the risk to the mother's life is high as the pregnancy progresses. I was not allowed to leave the ward and could not give birth naturally. The baby was delivered early by emergency C-section at 35wks to protect both lives. Latest technology would not be able to change those risks.
As the pregnancy progresses the womb obviously expands. In simple terms: think of the womb as a balloon and write an X or dot at the current position of the placenta relative to where you blow the balloon up (the birth canal), blow the balloon up more and you'll be able to see how the position is likely to change.

Nelliemoser Thu 26-May-16 08:05:55

I as a granny would be very worried as well. My daughter was told that DGS1s placenta was very low but that did move up as the uterus grew.
I just hope all goes well. The bleeding is obviously scary for your family.

absent Thu 26-May-16 08:07:27

I think that this is a condition that obstetricians and midwives have taken very seriously for decades and usually monitor very closely. It can be very serious, but 21 weeks is relatively early with lots of time for the situation (literally) to change quite drastically, although I am sure that they recognise that bleeding is a concern.

NonnaW Thu 26-May-16 09:43:46

I too had placenta previa with my 2nd son (38 years ago), when living in Germany. It happened suddenly at 33 weeks, and I had a massive bleed and was rushed into the local hospital for an emergency Caesarian. We were told son would always be a little behind due to early arrival. This proved not to be the case, and he is now in the police and always larger than life!

Rowantree Sat 28-May-16 13:43:37

I had a PP with my first pregnancy - a scan mid-pregnancy showed the placenta partially covering the cervix, but another scan a few weeks later showed it had moved further up the uterus and was no longer a problem. So it can and does move. However, I'd agree with other posters that fresh bleeding needs checking out. How is your DD now? It might be worth insisting on another scan to check all is well, or failing that, presenting at A&E? I really hope it turns out well for your daughter. I can imagine how worried you must be, Julie57 flowers

Marina45 Thu 23-Nov-17 12:34:59

Hello everyone, today I want to ask, what are the treatments for Placenta Previa?
motherhow.com/placenta-previa

Deedaa Thu 23-Nov-17 22:51:26

I think the main treatment is bed rest if necessary. DD's friend spent most of her pregnancy in bed. When she had a perfectly normal pregnancy the second time she was amazed to find that you could be pregnant and do housework and gardening and look after a toddler!

The important thing is to be forewarned. If placenta previa is only discovered during the delivery it can be catasatrophic.