Gransnet forums

Health

Dupuytren's contracture

(7 Posts)
alchemilla Wed 25-May-16 15:04:00

This is where the tendons in the hand thicken and shorten making the hand eventually into a claw. There's a lot on the websites about different treatments - but anyone recommend any op or treatment above anything else or had problems pre and post op?

Charleygirl Wed 25-May-16 15:12:16

Choose a hand surgeon very carefully- do not allow any orthopaedic surgeon to operate.

felice Wed 25-May-16 15:34:41

I had this operated on in a day Hospital a 8 years ago, it was a great success.
A few weeks of Physio and my hand is great.
I started with physio and it did not help, I found a good hand surgeon and do not regret it.
My left hand has developed it now but as I am retired(chef) I will not do anything about it.

Galen Wed 25-May-16 15:49:12

The big problem is that it can recurr post op

Gillboo Sun 12-Jun-16 10:21:23

Take a look at D.A.R.T website or British Dupuytrens Society on line,I have Ledderhose Disease which is similar but in your feet and am waiting to see a Doctor on the NHS to discuss Radiotherapy for this they also treat Dupuytrens this way as often surgery may not work.

NotTooOld Sun 12-Jun-16 17:36:00

I'll check that out, Gillboo, thank you. I had an injection in my right hand to correct my curved little finger a few years ago. It worked but 18 months later had returned to what it was. I was slightly put off to discover that what you are injected with is gangrene spores.

Tegan Sun 12-Jun-16 17:45:06

Gillboo; I'm concerned about that as I have Dupuytrens in my hand but have found a lump in the arch of my foot. I've read that, if you have one you are prone to the other. My ex had an operation for Dupuytrens in his hand many years ago and he's fine now. There is a very good hand clinic attached to my local hospital.