Gransnet forums

Health

Wonderfully efficient NHS [hmm]

(17 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 31-May-16 09:49:29

OK - here I am on holiday in Wales. I have had toothache for the last 5 days. So fed up that .......

- I rang the local dental surgery. They said that they do have some emergency slots, but in order to book one I have to go through NHS Direct.
- rang NHS Direct who went through a barrage of questions - do I have chest pain? etc. etc. - no, I have toothache! They then put me though to their dental nurse....
- who went through most of the same questions again and gave me a reference number and the number of the local health board...
- whom I rang. They went through most of the same questions again and eventually....
- gave me an appointment with the surgery that I rang in the first place!!!

All of this is taking place with me standing at the edge of a field (only place for reception) near a cliff in a howling wind and barely able to hear what they are saying; and wobbling about as standing still for any length of time is hard for me.

Now, I cannot help feeling there must be a more efficient system. In all this took 45 minutes. Heaven knows what my phone bill will be!

Luckygirl Tue 31-May-16 09:51:45

Just checked my phone - I started with a balance of £30 and it now stands at £17.90! - unbelievable!

thatbags Tue 31-May-16 10:00:49

I think a heartfelt Bloody Hell! would be in order here, lucky. Hope the toothache is relieved.

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 10:04:43

Presumably you're with an NHS dentist at home Luckygirl
However, if you are in a dental plan you should be able to be seen as an emergency anywhere in the world - in theory, although we have not tested the theory - yet hmm

Even in deepest, darkest Wales Peru

Jalima Tue 31-May-16 10:08:32

Ps hope toothache is gone soon!

Luckygirl Tue 31-May-16 10:12:55

I am with an NHS dentist back home - but I do not know what I will be charged today. I will add that to the £13 odd that the phone call cost!

jollyg Tue 31-May-16 10:40:04

I am with Denplan. Lovely assistant to my dentist, knowing that I was going to India, that I should claim dentists bill on my return.

One of my crowns became loose, this was at a time when we got about 12 hours electricity per day!

Went to a reccomended dentist, but no power, he ad a genset which ran on t he smelliest fuel possible.

Dentist took a look at the tooth, assistant turned his light off, did a bit more work, lights on and off to save fuel.

He did a good job fitting the crown on so I did not look alike the wicked witch.

Charge the equivalent of £5.

Denplan does not reimburse such low amounts.

Cost an arm and a leg to get a titanium implant, but it does seem to work. fine

grannyactivist Tue 31-May-16 10:50:36

Oh dear Lucky - that's miserable on all fronts. The NHS seems to be like the girl with the curl; when it's good, it's very good, but when it's bad........! flowers and hope your toothache is soon resolved (without too much expense).

Badenkate Tue 31-May-16 11:03:22

I did some temp work with a well -known dental plan company a few years ago and I was amazed at the difference in cost/month for the same benefits depending on where you live - to the extent of double in some places

Badenkate Tue 31-May-16 11:04:15

Hope your tooth is better now luckygirl

kittylester Tue 31-May-16 11:09:31

Hope it's better soon lucky. Too many protocols, as I keep saying. Ggggrrrr!

Tegan Tue 31-May-16 15:29:01

The S.O. is 300 miles from home and suffering with an abscess on his gum. Thankfully he has some antibiotics with him from another complaint as a phone call to a NHS emergency centre was no help at all. He was in terrible pain. It's no wonder people just go to A&E all the time. A doctor won't prescribe anything for tooth/mouth problems as they have no training in that area, even though all they need do is prescribe the same antibiotics that the dentist will.

Luckygirl Tue 31-May-16 17:20:34

Virtually pain free now I am glad to say - a bit of paracetamol seems to be doing the trick. I am hoping it will all settle by tomorrow.

I am going to seek out a new dentist when I get home - I have not been happy with mine for some time - he is very off-hand, and I have told him on several occasions that there was something wrong with the crown on one of my teeth. Having just experienced dentistry as it should be, I know that I was right to be unhappy with him. As well as sorting the main problem, this dentist took one look at the crown, said it was ill-fitting and also that it was about to fall out. She removed it for me, reshaped it and cemented it back securely. She did not have to do this as it was not the problem I went in with - and all for £13.70 emergency dentistry fee!

dramatictessa Tue 31-May-16 17:29:08

Now that is the efficient NHS! What a lovely dentist she was.

Luckygirl Tue 31-May-16 17:47:49

Yes - two aspects of the NHS, the good and the bad, in one day!

Deedaa Tue 31-May-16 21:19:48

Dentistry does seem to be the real weak point. Our NHS dentist is very good but if we have an out of hours emergency it's a nightmare.

I was pleasantly surprised when I was referred to another surgery for an extraction that my dentist didn't feel she could do. I was wondering how much it was going to cost and was told there was no charge!

GandTea Tue 31-May-16 21:26:49

Out patients appointment regarding my brain tumour. Appointment was at 4:45, arrived at 4:30, called through immediately and back on the way home by 5pm.