Gransnet forums

Health

dentures vs implants?

(24 Posts)
maisiegreen Wed 15-Jun-16 18:37:27

my back teeth are terrible - most of my molars are gone over the last year or so (I'm having one taken out next week). So, I'm feeling pretty depressed, to start off with. If anyone could pass on a word of consolation (I'm 58, and feel as though my mouth is 70) I'd be very grateful.
At the moment I have a partial denture on the bottom right, and 3 implants. I could afford more, but hate having them done, as well as the expense. Has anyone gone down the upper and lower denture route instead? (Even typing it makes me think yuck) I've heard they're more difficult to get used to than lowers. Any advice?

Tegan Wed 15-Jun-16 18:51:51

Understand how you feel. My teeth, which have always been horrible [but are all still there] are getting very bad and I don't know how long I can keep them going. How much are implants? I have to drink with a straw as my back teeth are so heat sensitive; my dentist says that having them crowned wouldn't help as the sensitivity is round the gum. Not good when you can't enjoy a cup of tea sad.

tanith Wed 15-Jun-16 19:04:27

maisiegreen I have dentures and have had them since my 30's I've never been able to afford implants apart from which I didn't think I could bear the drilling into my jaw. I quickly got used to them and have always been able to eat anything including steak, apples etc. I know people do have problems though so its not an easy choice. I can only tell you my own experience I have mine made privately they were so much better than NHS dentures and I renew them every 7/8 years as they do grow looser and need to fit snugly. I wish you luck.

annsixty Wed 15-Jun-16 19:41:24

At almost 79 I still have all my own teeth, I have a couple of crowns but nothing else and no gaps. I just need to say It is not supercare just luck and good genes . I have receding gums but hope to keep my teeth for the rest of my life. Never feel guilty for lack of care, it probably isn't your fault.

Jalima Wed 15-Jun-16 19:45:05

Am having a huge replacement filling (or a crown) in a molar tomorrow and I am dreading it. However, I would want implants for the front teeth at least, and would want to hang on to them as long as possible.
I think that is because DM always hated her false teeth and always had trouble with them, but that was years ago.

Tegan Wed 15-Jun-16 19:50:48

I've just had a tooth near to the front refilled for the third time in two months as the filling keeps coming loose.I have to carry an emergency repair kit with me when I go away in case it falls out when I can't get to a dentist.When it first fell out I was 300miles from home and it was a Bank Holiday. I wish I hadn't been part of the drill'n'fill generation. At one time one of my crowns was worth more than my car.

Indinana Wed 15-Jun-16 19:56:41

maisiegreen I have a partial upper denture which stays put with no problems at all, never needing any additional help like polygrip. No denture on the bottom (yet!), but I've always heard the bottom ones are more difficult to get used to, not the top!

Jalima Wed 15-Jun-16 20:03:28

I wish I hadn't been part of the drill'n'fill generation

Oh yes!! "Let's re-do all your fillings before you're 21 and have to pay for them".
Gullible me, all my tiny fillings and half of each tooth replaced by huge silver lumps of amalgam

Jalima Wed 15-Jun-16 20:04:12

It was the bottom ones that DM used to take out when she got home

Jalima Wed 15-Jun-16 20:05:29

This may not be much help, but it may cheer you up:

pamayres.com/index.php/2011/08/oh-i-wish-id-looked-after-me-teeth/

(or not!)

Tegan Wed 15-Jun-16 20:10:57

Alas, I think of that whenever I go to the dentist these days; well, that and 'Marathon Man' shock.[she was so young when she wrote it; how did she KNOW]

Jalima Wed 15-Jun-16 20:31:31

I will recite it in my head when the drill is going tomorrow

NanaandGrampy Wed 15-Jun-16 20:44:13

I have one of my front teeth as an implant. I had it crowned many years ago and it got to the point where it couldn't be replaced any more.

I can honestly say ( and I am totally dental phobic) I didn't feel at hint. It was the most painless procedure I have ever had and I don't regret it at all. You can now get a whole set of dental implants if you have all your top teeth removed( and maybe bottom too) that clip in. You have 3 screws inserted in the same afternoon and then you get your temporary set of implants clipped on and that's it.

They're replaced after a few months and then you only need to go back if you have a problem or for them to be un lipped for work.

I think it's pricey but I think it might be better than dentures.

Neversaydie Wed 15-Jun-16 23:34:17

I have a false tooth 'bolted on 'to the strengthened tooth next to It .Am about to have another done but this time they are using the actual tooth (very loose and temporarily glued to the one next to it ) which they will extract I don't have enough bone mass for implants. Its better than the little denture I had before .
We were taken to dentist regularly as children ,very little by way of sugar and I've always gone regularly But have small jaw and crowded soft teeth and have finally convinced myself that its not my fault I've lost several.Have a brilliant hygeinist now which helps

tiredoldwoman Thu 16-Jun-16 05:10:57

My ancient crown gave up and the natural root crumbled leaving me with having to get a bridge . I was given a temporary pop in 'flipper' to cover the space . It all took a while to sort out and was fine for a year until it came apart. I went back to have it repaired but a new dentist was horrified at it and threw it into the bin saying that it didn't fit me , my mouth wasnt suitable and who had done this to me ( as if I'd made it myself ! ) Told 'nothing could be done , implants were expensive and wouldn't be suitable and they sometimes didn't work out' and I've been left with this damned 'flipper' - aptly named as that's what it does ! Every time I go for a check up I ask for any alternatives but I'm still flipping ! I think I'll change my dentist .

grannycakes Thu 16-Jun-16 06:13:26

Maisie - I am 60 and due to rampant gum disease I have lost all my teeth this year. The process has taken 8 month and I was terrified (as I am very vain). However, the final permanent dentures have been fited this week and they look so good I cannot stop smiling. Yes there has been some discomfort and it took effort to get used to them but they look so much better than my own teeth which looked awful as the gums had receded so much. You need a dentist who will explain all your options - I rued ut implants as the cost for all m teeth was prohibitive abd the dentist couldn't guarantee that they would last due to the bone loss I had suffered. He fitted temporary dentures (NHS) while the gums healed and the final (private dentures) were fitted this week. I found the top far easier to get used to than the bottom and the work was done in three stages. In December the top was done and by January that was fine and then in February the bottom set was fitted. That did take some getting used to but you do need to persevere and keep returning to dentist so they n make small adjustments which make all the difference. The fittings for the private dentures was undertaken over the past three weeks and the new teeth top and bottom were fitted on Monday. I work full time in a job which requires me to talk to people both individually and in groups all day and they have been fine - I do have a small sore patch but I will return next week if it doesn't clear up and get it adjusted. It has been expensive (about £1400 including the extractions) but worth every penny as I can smile with confidence. Most people in work have assumed I have had implants and are shocked that they are dentures. Dentistry had moved on and the teeth no longer have too look "false". Good luck whatever you choose - patience is needed while you adjust and communication with your dentist is all important so choose a dentist you trust

carerof123 Mon 27-Jun-16 07:52:16

I have a partial denture at the top and have had it for about 5 years now. It looks fine and i dont have any problems with it apart from a permanent dry mouth if i don't chew gum or suck a sweet. Anyone else experiencing this issue with their denture??

FarNorth Mon 27-Jun-16 08:03:01

If you need only a partial upper denture, you can get a metal one which has a gap in the middle meaning you can still feel the roof of your mouth.
I have this as I found that having it covered with a plastic partial denture meant I couldn't taste food very well.

FarNorth Mon 27-Jun-16 08:04:14

Ps, I don't have dry mouth or any other problem, and no need for glue to keep it in.

carerof123 Mon 27-Jun-16 08:46:45

Far North thanks for that info i will check out with my dentist and find out if it would be suitable for me.

lena80 Mon 26-Sep-16 12:07:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NotTooOld Mon 26-Sep-16 21:52:00

I have a partial upper denture which is brilliant. I had it done privately when I didn't get on with the NHS one. It is metal (not the teeth, obviously!) and does not cover the roof of my mouth or need fixative. I can eat anything and completely forget I am wearing it as it is so comfortable.

I had a terrible time for a while as I didn't fancy implants and the NHS denture was not working but eventually I went to a Smile Centre locally where everyone was lovely. It cost about £800 but is worth every penny and is certainly cheaper than implants.

Coolgran65 Tue 27-Sep-16 00:23:00

I also have a metal private partial top denture £700. I then got an NHS one made £90, as a back up so that I'd never be caught out if my metal one got damaged while on holiday etc, or was away for repair.

Synonymous Tue 27-Sep-16 01:22:32

My mother always said that teeth are as much of a problem going as they were in coming through in the first place and I think she was right.

I was also one of the victims of the drill and fill brigade and have a wide selection of dental work to display. hmm
I won't be rushing for implants anyway mainly de to the price which I just couldn't justify to myself never mind anyone else!

I have been told that there is much to be said for being able to sing whilst brushing one's teeth! grin