Gransnet forums

Health

Dry and thin skin on arms

(28 Posts)
Lapwing Sun 26-Jun-16 15:23:42

I went through the menopause 12 years ago and it was a relatively painless experience at the time.

Now, however I am having problems with very dry and thin skin, mainly on my arms. I find that very little causes the skin to tear or cut and it then takes ages to heal. I am using an emollient cream prescribed by my doctor but would appreciate any advice from Gransnet members who have dealt with this. Unfortunately I cannot use HRT due to being in a high risk cancer category.

whitewave Sun 26-Jun-16 15:30:41

I use a delicious oil by Decleor -I think that is how you spell it every time I shower or bath I rub it into my arms elbows and legs. It is a lovely smell and has done the trick.

MiniMouse Sun 26-Jun-16 15:55:35

Organic, raw, virgin coconut oil is lovely - and relatively inexpensive, especially as a little goes a long way! If you massage it in and then wait a few minutes the initial greasiness disappears. (It's solid until it melts on the skin)

Lapwing Sun 26-Jun-16 16:20:52

Thank you whitewave and MiniMouse. I will check up on both suggestions.

TriciaF Sun 26-Jun-16 16:35:50

Lapwing I have the same problem. I have a small wound at the moment caused by a light tap from the corner of a folded newspaper.
I've found some very good dressings,:
www.farmaline.fr/sante/commander/mepilex-border-lite-4x5cm-281000/?utm_medium=gmc&gclid=CLPdnfmBxs0CFUa4GwodSswCHg
Johnson & Johnson make some the same.
You only need one, leave them on for days and they're completely waterproof.

TriciaF Sun 26-Jun-16 16:37:40

ps my lower leg is my vulnerable place.

Cherrytree59 Sun 26-Jun-16 16:57:24

I use bio oil twice a day on a large scar on my neck.
I have found that as well as helping the scar, the skin on my neck has much improved in texture and thickness
The nurse at the hospital also uses bio oil for a scar that she herself has, but has found that a cheaper version. (on sale in I think BM stores and possibly Home Bargains) works just as well.

Marmark1 Sun 26-Jun-16 17:20:57

Aveeno is very good,I use it as a cleanser as well as a moisturiser

breeze Sun 26-Jun-16 17:44:31

My skin thinned during cancer treatment. Used E45. Was sceptical when my sister recommended but worked a treat. The range of lip balms, emollients, moisturisers, worked well (non greasy and also no fragrance). Got lots of breaks in the skin around that time though, so used Sudocreme. (it's my absolute godsend for whole family for a wide range... antiseptic cream that works on nappy rash, cuts, burns). But that's cloying, so not for every day moisturising. Hope you find something, as, skin 'health' (not necessarily vanity) is so often underestimated. Can make life utterly miserable. Hope you find something to suit that makes you feel more comfortable.

Jalima Sun 26-Jun-16 18:01:55

I use Aveeno or Norwegian Formula at the moment.

Eucerin is very good, but more expensive.

I was prescribed the emollient lotion by the GP and was also told that it could be used in the shower instead of soap. However, I use a shower cream such as Fenjal or Dead Sea Magik.

Years ago I used to use Johnson's baby oil.

Hope you find something to help.

Lapwing Sun 26-Jun-16 21:00:55

Thank you all once again for your suggestions. I will be trying some of them to see if they help.

It is also sort of good to know that I am not alone, I sometimes think that my DH thinks that I am careless but that is not the case.

Jalima Sun 26-Jun-16 21:16:44

I use some sort of moisturiser on my arms (and scars!) daily.

Taking steroids thins the skin (or using steroid cream for eczema)

annodomini Mon 27-Jun-16 18:07:55

I have a similar problem owing to extended use of steroids. The recommended moisturiser was Doublebase Gel and it has worked well on my arms and legs. I've reduced the steroid dosage quite a lot and the skin is now less vulnerable but I continue to use the gel which is non greasy, non sticky and is quickly absorbed.

Clickgran Mon 27-Jun-16 18:49:26

Thank you Lapwing for this post and all for their suggestions. I have noticed the skin on my arms have become thin, and not very attractive in Summer months of short sleeves. I will try some of your suggestions.

Cherrytree59 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:12:10

I will second sudocream for whole range of skin problems.
A friend uses it on her horse and says she's never without it.

grannylyn65 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:40:42

Horse ????

grannylyn65 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:41:06

Neigh !!

Claudiaclaws Mon 27-Jun-16 21:26:36

I bruise easily and the skin on my arms is terrible for bleeding at the drop of a hat.Last week in Aldi it was a case of malice aforethought when my Dear husband caught my arm with a box of tissues.I bled all over the sleeve of my Jacket and had to ask for a plaster. I haven't taken steroids for quite awhile [does that count steroid inhalers?}

TriciaF Mon 27-Jun-16 21:53:37

What about blood thinners? Even Aspirin, which I take every day and I bruise and bleed easily;

harrigran Tue 28-Jun-16 12:05:50

I use Aveeno moisturiser on arms and legs, it works wonders for me. Within 7 days my skin felt much more comfortable. It is made from oats and has no perfume so is ideal for sensitive skins.

loopylou Tue 28-Jun-16 16:47:34

I think my thin skin problem is excessive sun exposure too, I cringe at remembering applying olive oil + vinegar and basting in the sun on Spanish holidaymakers as a teenager ?
I've been slapping on Bio oil for months but I fear nothing's really going to make any difference....

Iam64 Wed 29-Jun-16 08:48:43

Anno's recommendation for double base is a good one. Aloe Vera products are also good for dry, thin, skin.

Teetime Wed 29-Jun-16 09:23:41

Some really helpful suggestions here can I throw in something we used to advise patients with similar skin thinning - give up soap in favour of a moisturiser - E$% make a shower cream but there are a number of others.

Oil is excellent again many kinds available but if you are having a real treat Chanel (No5) make a spray on perfume oil- I sometimes ask for it as a birthday or Christmas gift heavenly and works beautifully.

Juggernaut Wed 29-Jun-16 09:34:54

Try Cetraben lotion, it's light, non greasy and absorbs easily, so no dragging at the skin.
It's made a huge difference to the very dry thin skin on my legs.

Lapwing Wed 29-Jun-16 16:00:12

Claudiaclaws your post rung a bell with me and I did a quick internet search. I have been on inhaled steroids for over 30 years and according to several medical sites long term use can cause skin atrophy. Unfortunately I need to use the inhalers to keep the asthma under control. Your description of how easily you bruise or bleed certainly rings a bell. And to add insult to injury the cuts seem to take ages to heal.

Thank you once again for all of the suggestions, and really pleased that raising the question has possibly helped other people or at least let us all know that we are not alone.