Gransnet forums

Health

Diverticulitis.

(14 Posts)
winifred01 Fri 01-Jul-16 15:25:08

Think I my have developed this,( looked it up on net and have the symptoms)
Gather it is very common as we get older, any advice re coping. Have not been to see Dr.

tiredoldwoman Fri 01-Jul-16 16:32:00

My only advice is to stay away from sweetcorn ! Ouchy when I eat this , it feels like an anaconda inside me !!

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 16:33:32

You need it properly diagnosed. The internet can be a dangerous thing.

annsixty Fri 01-Jul-16 16:38:46

My H's was diagnosed by a hospital procedure. He needs medication when it is "active". A friend disregarded hers and ended up with a very serious op and a stoma for 9 months after developing abscesses in her colon. Please don't let embarrassment stop you seeking professional help.

Joelsnan Fri 01-Jul-16 16:42:44

Yes, go to the Drs to get a proper diagnosis, you would want to rule out anything more sinister.
Unfortunately it is common as we get older and can restrict movement as toilets often need to be in close proximity sad

annodomini Fri 01-Jul-16 16:53:32

Mine was diagnosed in local hospital. It's not very serious and I do try to avoid anything that might irritate it like nuts. I have recently found a certain kind of muesli to have an abrasive effect, so the birds are going to get what's left of it.

Nandalot Fri 01-Jul-16 16:57:40

I had a colonoscopy which showed diverticulosis. Usually it is of the grumpling variety so far but I did have one really acute attack of diverticulitis. Pain, temperature etc. I went to doctor for antibiotics then because it was infected and, as previous post said, it can be quite dangerous.

whitewave Fri 01-Jul-16 17:44:26

winifred well that was something I also thought I had developed, but after years of symptoms trying all sorts of things I discovered that I am actually gluten intolerant -although I have never actually been diagnosed, Bur avoiding gluten entirely has cured my problems.

So really I think I would advise seeking a diagnoses.

Indinana Fri 01-Jul-16 18:01:04

I too have diverticulosis, had it for years. But so far, touch wood, I've never had an episode of diverticulitis. It is a pain in the neck, though, because waste matter can get trapped in the diverticula and it will suddenly be released into the colon proper with little warning. And that's when I need to get to a loo very, very quickly!
I do really strongly advise you to see your GP and get it properly diagnosed. If you do indeed have diverticulitis (rather than diverticulosis) then it is infected and needs attention.

harrigran Fri 01-Jul-16 18:07:44

I went to see a consultant because I thought I had diverticulitis, I actually had bowel cancer. Don't self diagnose, see your GP and be reassured.

Luckygirl Fri 01-Jul-16 22:04:10

I so agree with harrigran - you cannot be too careful. Go to the doctor and get a proper diagnosis. They need to exclude cancer with proper investigations. The chances are it is not; but not worth taking the risk of missing it.

winifred01 Wed 06-Jul-16 21:28:23

Thanks for the advice, I have made an appointment to see my doctor

petra Thu 07-Jul-16 11:56:21

I've had it for years, and I've yet to find what sets it off. My attacks are very bad. The last one I had, a few months ago, my OH had to call an ambulance as I had fallen off the toilet and couldn't stand up. I also vomit at the same time.

Mumsy Thu 07-Jul-16 11:59:07

my doctor thought I had that but it turned out to be IBS...