Gransnet forums

Health

TKR Tomorrow's the big day!

(55 Posts)
path20 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:34:49

Well it's here and tomorrow I am having a total knee replacement. I am petrified to say the least, I have followed threads on here and know that hopefully all will come well in the end.
I spoke to a lady this morning who has had two new hips and two new knees. She is amazing and she gave me lots of encouragement. Why am I nearly a nervous wreck?!!!
I think it is just fear of the unknown. I'm going to be positive and do everything I am told. Is it just me or have any of you felt the same?

ginny Fri 22-Jul-16 13:46:43

I don't think anyone could blame you for being nervous, I'm sure most people would be.

I had two knee replacements 2 years ago when I was in constant pain walking the slightest distance or sitting in one position for any time. Best thing ever ! Yes, it was painfull for a while and not much fun doing the exercises but do them you must.

Now I can enjoy country walks and outings without any problems and no feeling of holding others back. I can even (almost ) run up the stairs !

Good luck tomorrow , let us know how you get on.

ninathenana Fri 22-Jul-16 13:50:35

Not me but my 83 yr old neighbour had a knee replacement last year. She was in hospital for 10 days and walking unaided within a month and soon after she was pottering in her garden.
Your bound to be nervous. Try telling yourself " it's a routine op, they do it all the time"
I'm sure all will go well and you'll then be pain free. flowers

Granny2016 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:52:42

You will soon be skipping about.....all the best.

Eloethan Fri 22-Jul-16 14:18:04

path20 I know several people who have had knee replacement surgery and it has made a huge positive difference to their mobility and comfort. Of course, it's natural to feel nervous and I know it's not always easy to do but try and focus on the eventual improvement that it will make to your life.

Good luck - I hope all goes well for you.

annsixty Fri 22-Jul-16 14:22:44

Good luck with it. I have a provisional date for August 15th and I can't wait.I know it will not be a walk in the park but the pain I have now and the inconvenience of not being able to get out, it has to be worth it.

path20 Fri 22-Jul-16 15:47:13

Thank you.
The pain is bad now(bone on bone) so I just want to be pain free if possible. The pain to begin with will be worth it in the long run. I'm sure I'll be fine. I'll keep you informed. Ipad will be at the ready.

elleks Fri 22-Jul-16 15:52:36

I had my right knee done 6 years ago, after a fall left my kneecap grating against the bone. I wouldn't hesitate to have the other one done if necessary.

Deedaa Fri 22-Jul-16 21:55:33

I had both mine done 10 years ago and never regretted it. I remember being amazed that within 24 hours of the first operation I was walking on my new knee and I was surprised how quickly I was off all pain relief.

Luckygirl Fri 22-Jul-16 22:18:35

Lots of good luck for tomorrow - being nervous is par for the course - everyone is!

whitewave Fri 22-Jul-16 22:21:55

flowers for your bedside and wineto aid your recovery smile

grannyqueenie Fri 22-Jul-16 22:43:34

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow and you get some sleep tonight. All the best for a speedy recovery x

path20 Sat 23-Jul-16 08:40:47

Well! I'm here, gowned up and ready for off. I didn't sleep well last night but Hey! Ho! I arrived here at the hospital on time. It is only ten minutes down the road from where I live.I have been told I'm first down but that could change.The consultant has been to see me and reassured me. The op will take around one and half hours he says. I'm having a general anesthetic as I have a history of failed epidurals in the past.
Well,see you later and thank you all for your support.

annsixty Sat 23-Jul-16 08:49:30

Will be thinking of you. I am due an epidural I don't know which is preferable.
Can only sat I wish it was me.

baubles Sat 23-Jul-16 09:30:13

Best wishes for today and for a speedy recovery path20.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jul-16 09:34:13

I ve got a wonderful picture in my mind of Deedan walking on her new knee LOL but I knew what you meant

Bellanonna Sat 23-Jul-16 10:08:23

Made me laugh BlueBelle ?

Bellanonna Sat 23-Jul-16 21:57:06

path20. Hope it went well and you're not in too much pain. When you next come on do let us know how you are. Sending you lots of good wishes. x

whitewave Sat 23-Jul-16 22:01:55

Have a good night and wake ready for the rest of your lifemoonsunshine

path20 Sun 24-Jul-16 03:02:42

Luckily I was first down.Well it's two thirty in the morning now and I have just been woken up to have my blood pressure checked.The morphine definitely worked yesterday as I couldn't stay awake, along with the remaining general anaesthetic. I had one of those press button self admin machines.The anaesthetist gave it to me and he told me to keep pressing, so I did.The nurses took it off me eventually. I hardly ate anything and I fell asleep with a glass of water in my hand.
Today is day two, hopefully I will be awake longer.
Thanks again for your encouragement

path20 Tue 26-Jul-16 21:38:38

It's now Tuesday and I am home. Pain management isn't very good at the moment as I am allergic to Codeine and can't have Ibrufen.I am trying to cope with paracetamol plus another tablet three times a day. Napufem I think it's called. I have to have it with a meal but I am hardly eating anything, no appetite and feeling sickly.I do have a brilliant ice pack which the hospital gave me and I would love to keep it on all the time as it helps with the pain so much.
It's early days I know and just hope the pain will ease up soon. Others on Gransnet have been there, done that and got the T-Shirt. Their tales are all very similar and they say it's all worth it in the end.Still onwards and upwards.

NotTooOld Tue 26-Jul-16 22:13:32

Hi path20! Good news that your op is over and you are on your way to recovery and a pain-free life although it probably doesn't feel that way at the moment. I had a THR last year and I remember that the first few days were not very pleasant but it DOES get easier and you will very soon be on the mend. Don't be afraid to take all the pain relief you can and do make sure you do the exercises the hospital will have given you. Keep smiling!

cornergran Tue 26-Jul-16 23:06:27

Pleased your operation is over. No direct experience of it but neighbours who have all talk about initial pain soon fading. The ones who did best were those who did the recommended exercises and now say they walk comfortably and easily. Good luck with your recovery, it's early days yet and it will get better very soon.

Bellanonna Tue 26-Jul-16 23:39:11

I'm glad it's over and you're home now. At least you've got the summer during which to recover, warmer days, longer evenings, rather than a cold and dark winter. Like you I can't tolerate most painkillers. Paracetamol and that's about it. I will need my knee replacing but am putting it off. I had an injection recently and will keep,going till that wears off. I wish you all the best and perhaps I can ask you for some tips when I get round to having it done. Now it's onwards and upwards for you!

Newquay Wed 27-Jul-16 08:46:06

How are you doing now then path20? ?